Is Band of Brothers overrated?

Generation Kill wasn't so much about the action as the drama. It was to Jarhead (and better IMO) as BoB was to SPR (in all honest I'd rather binge BoB than watch SPR)

Tour of Duty was a good one too. I used to watch this as a kid (was born in 1980) and I bought the box set when I was on a deployment in the middle east in 2005 for something to watch on my Laptop and I thought it held up pretty good.

Keep watching. By the 8th episode it gets good.

just kidding. It’s the goat mini series.
Taking the 88’s in the 2nd episode =GOAT
Spears running through the town and back again=GOAT
Bastogne experience =GOAT
Winters running across a field alone only to find a company of SS=GOAT
Nixon being sauced the whole war=GOAT

Just adding to the list

Lipton battlefield commission = GOAT
German surrender speech= GOAT
When you talk to an officer you say "Sir"= GOAT
"You salute the rank" = GOAT

Watching for the first time I'm only on the first episode but wtf is Ross from Friends doing trying to be some tough drill seargant? They didnt really cast David Schwimmer for this did they? It's not giving me a lot of faith that its as good as ppl say it is...

Band of brothers is awesome

And Ross is gonna get dealt with don't worry.... show some patience

Didn't care for the final episode or two, but it's a dope series. Some intense action sequences for a mini series.

Hi-yo Silver!

It's an amazing mini series. It's heart breaking at some points too. The book is even better.

Fuck no. Are you out of your mind? And Schwimmer is amazing in that shit. If you understand his character at all, then you understand why he is perfect for that role.

One of the few shows that completely lives up to its praise. It's so good that most war movies are diminished by comparison. 2-3 hours just can't live up to traveling alongside Easy Company for 10 episodes.

Watching for the first time I'm only on the first episode but wtf is Ross from Friends doing trying to be some tough drill seargant? They didnt really cast David Schwimmer for this did they? It's not giving me a lot of faith that its as good as ppl say it is...

I tried watching the show years ago and stopped once I saw David Schwimmer. Maybe I should have given it more of a chance? Oh well, too late now.

<Fedor23>

Generation Kill wasn't so much about the action as the drama. It was to Jarhead (and better IMO) as BoB was to SPR (in all honest I'd rather binge BoB than watch SPR)

As a Marine OIF veteran, I have to say they definitely did an amazing job with Marine personalities and an OK job representing fighting in Iraq with Generation Kill. Obviously some of the personalities were exaggerated for Hollywood, but that shit felt like home watching it. And of course, it's probably humanly impossible to accurately reflect real combat, but the general idea of the was fairly accurate.

Definitely did a better job representing the Corps than The Pacific, which was a mess of a show.

Fuck no. Watch the whole thing.

Band of Brothers is the GOAT of military entertainment. By the end when they are showing the pics of the actual soldiers you will get feels.

Spot fucking on broseph.

It's pretty good but not the best thing ever like many claim it to be. And I'm prepared to get flamed for that but hey, I got family who are war veterans too. Having respect for the war doesn't mean you need to think that every movie or show about the war is the greatest thing ever. I have the utmost respect for the real life men depicted in the show, my criticisms are purely on the quality of the filmmaking.

Perhaps I came into it too late. It's a little over 20 years old now, and I've seen a lot of war movies in the last 20 years.

Some of my complaints:

Bad cgi/compositing. Some of the aerial shots are too fake looking, whenever they showed parachutes or airplanes from ground level it was an obvious compositing job. I know the show was made in 2000 but they should have not used any CGI in this show to make it look more authentic.

Editing. It still has that old style TV series editing where scenes just fade out when they end and then the next scene starts. Would have liked a more cinematic editing style.

Acting: Most of the main actors are pretty good but a lot of the acting during action scenes is pretty bad. In shots where you are supposed to see soldiers running for their life or hiding from gunfire, you can see actors smiling and laughing. Kind of distracted me several times. Michael Cudlitz in particular was a big offender of this. At one point a soldier right in front of him gets shot and when it switches to reverse angle of the reaction of him and his fellow soldiers and you can see he is trying not to laugh and a smile is cracking through.

Casting: I know yall keep defending Ross but they should have cast somebody else for that guy. Schwimmer always sticks out in everything he is in. My two cents, just cast somebody else. There are a million actors could have played that part. Schwimmer will always be Ross from Friends to the vast majority of the audience. FRIENDS was just too big of a show. It's like watching a movie and in walks Lucille Ball and expecting the audience to not be like "That's 'I Love Lucy!'"

Presentation: I'm not sure if the original TV broadcast was this way, but on Blu Ray every episode starts with a few war veterans talking. That should have been at the end of the episodes, or left as a special feature. We don't know who these dudes really are in their personal lives and I've always been cautious of glorifying an entire man because of one aspect of his life. What they did in the war was heroic, no doubt about that, but they did it because they had to, not much choice. The men themselves even say so - it was a job to them. For all we know they could be major assholes in their personal life. Maybe they ride on the war experience and use that as a means to berate anybody and everybody around them (we all know the type, the old man that walks around in his WW2 hat scowling at everybody). I just didn't care for those segments at all, just let me watch the show don't try and cram the real life dudes down my throat.

Haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember watching and thinking this is the greatest thing since slice bread. lol It was something special, probably season 1 of True Detective, Game of Thrones and Chernobyl matches it.

If I gave Saving Private Ryan a 10. It's only obligatory to give Band of Brothers a 10 as well.

Matter of opinion. Personally, I think "The Pacific" is way better.
I own both series on DVD, however.

Back