Is Barboza the definition of a gate keeper?

kabanos

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Most fighters respect Barboza and his skills. He also seems to be acknowledged by the fans. After every fight his opponent gives him credit, praises his skills etc. Yet he has no big wins in the last 10 fights.

I also need to say - I like Edson and his fighting style. He certainly is a true warrior with a huge heart for fighting... he's just not that good.

Now that Nate left - did Edson took his place for the ultimate gate keeper in LW?

edson.PNG

A win over Anthony Pettis is quite big.

Edson is better than Nate, but yes, he is the clear definition of a gate keeper.

LW is full of killers, man. No shame in that I'd say.

No he's a few notches above gatekeeper.
Have a nice day

I'd like to see him take a fight at Welterweight.

Feels disrespectful to call him a gatekeeper tbh. He's good, just not championship level in a shark tank of a division. Lost to savages and always went out on his shield, no shame in that. Still, he can beat damn near anybody on any given night. Hespect.

All the wins in your post are very good! The guy has only fought top talent in recent memory.

Even Anik called him a gatekeeper live on air. But he worded it nicely as a "Perrenial threat"

In my eyes, being labeled as gatekeeper in the deepest division is of higher standing than being labeled as "GOAT" of shallow division such as LHW/HW/FLW, etc.

So, I'd say, probably he is, and despite that he's one of the better fighters in the silly UFC.

Hes heading in that direction. Hes a UFC veteran who's 1-3 in past 4 and the 1 is Hooker. Gaejthe isnt that great and hasn't just "lost" in 3 , hes been mollywhopped in his losses so hes still a talented guy but after awhile a famous successful coach coined the phrase " after awhile, you are what you are ".

Let me give you my definition of a "gatekeeper "(being that too many people use that word).
A gatekeeper is a veteran who's usually ranked between #11 and #16[ in that area- tough to give you a number of a delineate nature) who consistently loses to anyone beneath him and usually wins against people hes supposed to. A gatekeeper is someone you usually consider a good fighter.

Again, Barboza heading in that direction. Hes remained in "idle "(or actually regressing) for sometime now..... another sign of a "gatekeeper ".

Most fighters respect Barboza and his skills. He also seems to be acknowledged by the fans. After every fight his opponent gives him credit, praises his skills etc. Yet he has no big wins in the last 10 fights.

I also need to say - I like Edson and his fighting style. He certainly is a true warrior with a huge heart for fighting... he's just not that good.

Now that Nate left - did Edson took his place for the ultimate gate keeper in LW?

View attachment 556533
right now RIGHT NOW, you're not far off. It's a fair opinion .

Giblert and Pettis aren't big wins?
Those were yesteryear and when he fights top guys now, he just doesnt lose - he gets throttled. Of course, no one starts off as a "gatekeeper ". Over the course of being a vet and a body of work ,one could ascertain who's of gatekeeper status or heading in that direction.

Edson's too one dimensional, I think Nate subs him.

And Nate actually fought for the title at one time, after subbing Miller and beating Cerrone (who also fought for the title). He also beat Michael Johnson (when it meant a lot) and of course, Conor.

I think LW is weaker than it used to be.

Feels disrespectful to call him a gatekeeper tbh. He's good, just not championship level in a shark tank of a division. Lost to savages and always went out on his shield, no shame in that. Still, he can beat damn near anybody on any given night. Hespect.
Spot on.

Edson's too one dimensional, I think Nate subs him.

Yup..

I think the hate of conor spilled over to nate.. if nate is any good there is less shame in losing to him and we can't have that can we..

Motivated nate is a fucking nightmare and only loses to elite fighters on streaks..

^ that

Back