Is Big Country superhuman?

Imagine what he could've done with that power at Middle Weight.

Although I think just as you could argue some larger MW/LHW guys wouldnt be suited to HW so I think you could argue Nelson wouldnt have been so well suited to LHW/MW minus the fat.

His talents were basically an amazing chin and a big right hand which was well suited to okish sucess at HW.

Last edited:
I thought he’d be way more popular than he was. He is a character that is easy to recognize and likable. He embraced his fatness and I don’t know why he isn’t the mascot of Trumpsters
yeah i don't know why the UFC didn't try and go more of that route. i know they're not the best at promoting fighters, but i think maybe him and Dana didn't get along or something...

Pretty much this. He could've been great but he chose to be lazy and basically become a sideshow.
hard to believe but years ago in the IFL, he didn't have the jelly belly

1537457776_roy-nelson.jpg

yeah i don't know why the UFC didn't try and go more of that route. i know they're not the best at promoting fighters, but i think maybe him and Dana didn't get along or something...
I remember Dana getting turned off by how he jumped on the cage and rubbed his belly. I think you are right because Dana was trying to promote mma and UFC as for only the hardest of badasses. Roy’s branding was more comical which I think Dana didn’t go for

He was never really the same after the Mark Hunt fight.. It's like he got a taste of his own mortality by way of KO and started trying to grind out decisions (minus the Bigfoot knockout).

Dave Herman is at least as much of an underachiever. He walked on Indiana's D-1 wrestling program with no high school experience if memory serves. He barely even trained for MMA, yet was basically 20-1 when he came to the UFC. (He had a DQ loss in a fight he was dominating vs. Sokoudjou. He was also dominating Choi Mu-Bae but simply gassed...again, just a lack of training/conditioning.).

Herman was very athletic, could wrestle well if he wanted to and had good knees and even jumping high kicks. However, he never learned even basic boxing which is why Roy, Nog and several other KO'd him in the UFC. Most of those were very short-notice fights, too.

Wasnt dave herman the guy who said jjujitsu doesnt work then proceeded to get mauled by nogueria?

Also Big country didnt have to learn anything..nothing was missing skill wise..he just didnt prepare well, carried too.much fat and ignored his obvious advantage on the ground for shameless over hands that were mostly telegraphed...had he tweaked his game and conditioning he would of succeeded more

This guy has the most deceiving looks and yet he is a monster with a super chin and extremely underrated grappling and a devastating over right hand! I think they should put him in that show Stan Lee superhuman average man. What do you think? Keep in mind this guy destroyed CC and Brandon and Big Nog and he looks like a pizza maker.
n2g4gg_medium.gif

IW8rnwL.gif

8.gif

nelson_struve_jpg.gif

UFC.159.Roy.Nelson.vs.Cheick.Kongo.400-sg.gif
images

Could've been a champion

Dave Herman is at least as much of an underachiever. He walked on Indiana's D-1 wrestling program with no high school experience if memory serves. He barely even trained for MMA, yet was basically 20-1 when he came to the UFC. (He had a DQ loss in a fight he was dominating vs. Sokoudjou. He was also dominating Choi Mu-Bae but simply gassed...again, just a lack of training/conditioning.).

Herman was very athletic, could wrestle well if he wanted to and had good knees and even jumping high kicks. However, he never learned even basic boxing which is why Roy, Nog and several other KO'd him in the UFC. Most of those were very short-notice fights, too.

I forgot about pee wee. I thought he was going to make a mark in the ufc.

Reactions: mkt
This guy has the most deceiving looks and yet he is a monster with a super chin and extremely underrated grappling and a devastating over right hand! I think they should put him in that show Stan Lee superhuman average man. What do you think? Keep in mind this guy destroyed CC and Brandon and Big Nog and he looks like a pizza maker.
n2g4gg_medium.gif

IW8rnwL.gif

8.gif

nelson_struve_jpg.gif

UFC.159.Roy.Nelson.vs.Cheick.Kongo.400-sg.gif
No he’s not even the most impressive fat guy.

CompassionateGoodnaturedArgentinehornedfrog-max-1mb.gif

Although I think just as you could argue some larger MW/LHW guys wouldnt be suited to HW so I think you could argue Nelson wouldnt have been so well suited to LHW/MW minus the fat.

His talents were basically an amazing chin and a big right hand which was well suited to okish sucess at HW.
A great chin and power is suited for every weight class. And he would have been a lot faster and had way better cardio if he trained properly.

Funny how there are guys that just can't seem to have a good physique but dominate mostly in HW

Cain
Big Country
Hunt
Sylvia
Barnett

All of them did not look like fighters and all did some pretty amazing things

Yeah but can they take 20 uppercuts from JDS and stay standing?
tumblr_meag08DrMc1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Probably not, but they're making more money than Roy ever did.

I don't question Roy's toughness. He chose to stand and bang rather than grapple, and we can debate all day if that was a smart career move.

you found the most deceptive picture, but you can still see Hunt's ab muscles, traps etc., while Roy just looks like a fat out of shape guy.
No deception brother, they’re just two fat guys. Now if you want to split hairs and talk about who has a fatter gut, versus flabbier tits then whatever but they’re definitely two fat guys who are comparable in height weight and body fat percentage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back