Is Christopher Nolan the Most Overrated Director? Or is It George Lucas?

I would say George Lucas, but that’s because I can’t make it through any of the original Star Wars movies without falling asleep.

Christopher Nolan is way overrated though. But he’s only directing, right? He doesn’t write the scripts, does he? Because the scripts are the biggest issue with his movies. I’m sure they’re beautifully shot or whatever.

George Lucas only directed the first Star wars film and then Phantom menace

In fact I think he has only directed like 5 films if that

By this theory basically you can make the argument of anyone being overrated or underrated. This thread is nothing but opinions being expressed. What one director can be the best director is overrated by someone else. Don't worry about something that's out of your control. If Christopher Nolan is overrated then you must think almost every director isn't worth their merits.

Reactions: HHJ
Lucas and it's not even close. He's an awful director who had great ideas.

I never heard anyone say Lucas was a great director ever. He's more like a friendly looking, white bearded fairy tale genius to me.

Two of the most critically and commercially successful directors of the last 50 years:

Sherdoggers - which one of these morons sucks ass the most?

never change Sherdog. Never change.

Two of the most critically and commercially successful directors of the last 50 years:

Sherdoggers - which one of these morons sucks ass the most?

never change Sherdog. Never change.
Nolan cast Harry styles........lol. Twice. That fruit.

I would say George Lucas, but that’s because I can’t make it through any of the original Star Wars movies without falling asleep.

Christopher Nolan is way overrated though. But he’s only directing, right? He doesn’t write the scripts, does he? Because the scripts are the biggest issue with his movies. I’m sure they’re beautifully shot or whatever.
The proper answer.

Has Lucas even directed anything other than Star Wars? Nolan has a wide range of classic movies. I wasn't even aware they were considered peers.

At first thought comparing Nolan to a guy who's only famous for directing Star Wars seems ludicrous but the more I think about it the more overrated Nolan is on his own regard. He's still 1000000 times better than Lucas, Memento on its own crushes anything Lucas has directed. TDK is still to most the best super hero movie of all time and The Prestige is a masterpiece as well. But then Nolan starting taking himself too seriously and every movie since has just been incredibly flawed since then. Amazing visually to watch on a big screen but otherwise all lack something or over do something. Inception personally was fantastic but almost everyone I know who saw it complained about it being hard to keep up with the deeper into the dreams they got. Interstellar was a very hard movie to keep up with as well. Dunkirk no one said a word and it took away me giving a shit about any of the characters. Tenet felt like a Inception knock off, I still haven't watched the whole thing. And Oppenheimer was the opposite of Dunkirk and it felt like they were just talking to talk a lot of the movie.

George didn't even direct the best Star Wars movie. American Graffiti is the only "great: movie on his resume otherwise its just 4 Star Wars films.

I don't know if Lucas is really overrated. He did all time great stuff with Star Wars and then his other contributions to the original trilogy which flirted with directing, yet he is really not considered an all time great director, just a great idea man and he has already lost some of his lustre in the public eye there. Meanwhile he does have other good movies as a director like THX 1138 and American Graffiti.

Lucas is kind of like a quote from a Christopher Nolan...you die a hero or live long enough to become the villain. He lived long enough to make the Star Wars prequels and then contribute to wrecking Indiana Jones and then just faceplant with stuff like Red Tails.

At first thought comparing Nolan to a guy who's only famous for directing Star Wars seems ludicrous but the more I think about it the more overrated Nolan is on his own regard. He's still 1000000 times better than Lucas, Memento on its own crushes anything Lucas has directed. TDK is still to most the best super hero movie of all time and The Prestige is a masterpiece as well. But then Nolan starting taking himself too seriously and every movie since has just been incredibly flawed since then. Amazing visually to watch on a big screen but otherwise all lack something or over do something. Inception personally was fantastic but almost everyone I know who saw it complained about it being hard to keep up with the deeper into the dreams they got. Interstellar was a very hard movie to keep up with as well. Dunkirk no one said a word and it took away me giving a shit about any of the characters. Tenet felt like a Inception knock off, I still haven't watched the whole thing. And Oppenheimer was the opposite of Dunkirk and it felt like they were just talking to talk a lot of the movie.

George didn't even direct the best Star Wars movie. American Graffiti is the only "great: movie on his resume otherwise its just 4 Star Wars films.

Dunkirk and Oppenheimer are two of his best films 🤙

TDK Memento and Prestige are still his bests though

Nolan has directed these 5 excellent films, and few other good/great ones

Back