is David Benavidez the most overrated fighter in boxing?

But you're saying that benavidez win over dirrell was one of the best for any fighter in boxing. that means you have a very high opinion of dirrell. therefore you should have the same high opinion of the guys who beat him and drew with him (yildrim was not a draw but dirrell was losing at the time of the stoppage. )
No didn't say that. I said its a quality win. Much worse wins have been regarded much higher for other fighters. Dirrel is a better win at 168 than Callum smith and BJS for example. If Dirrell was losing the fight vs yildrim at the time of the stoppage how was he awarded the win? See you know nothing about boxing. I'm curious. Do you think Canelo thinks David is overrated?

You are dismissing beating a 35-1 2 time reigning wc. If canelo beat dirrell you would be saying it was a great win.

345-5 in 350 amateur fights, defended his MW titles 22 times consecutively, was p4p #1 at the height of his career, 23 KO streak, arguably beat Canelo at least once. he's an excellent fighter and one of the best of this generation. Hopkins defended for longer at MW but had less defenses at 20.
Benavidez's resume cannot hold a candle to GGG's. he can still carve out a good legacy for himself but he hasnt done enough yet. let's see how the Gvozdyk fight goes.

Whats GGG's best 3 wins as a pro?

I used to think that he received too much undeserved hype but in light of recent events I've changed my mind. Benavidez is undefeated and Canelo just ducked him. Blatantly. He's also fighting at LHW next against a former champ. If he fights Morrell at 175 and beats him then he'll silence any remaining critics.

Whats GGG's best 3 wins as a pro?
IMO Jacobs, Brook and Derev. GGG also beat Lemeiux when that actually meant something unlike when Benavidez feasted on his corpse for a soft touch.
i also believe that GGG won the first fight with Canelo. those scorecards were garbage.

How toxic can a thread get?
-Dejulez/ Cariñito / Merjereigo race baiting with his 14th account
-Fan fiction of that time GGG beat Canelo
-Fan fiction of that time Loma beat Haney
IF A FIGHT IS CLOSE & IT HAD MULTIPLE TOSS UP ROUNDS, YOU'RE AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT TO CRY ROBBERY, THEN SPAM THIS VIEW DOWN EVERYBODY ELSE'S THROAT.
It shows you have no basic math skills. It shows you don't have basic vocabulary skills. It shows you still don't understand how boxing scoring criteria works. It shows you value your worthless opinion over factual outcomes to protect your falsely inflated ego.
I used to think that he received too much undeserved hype but in light of recent events I've changed my mind. Benavidez is undefeated and Canelo just ducked him. Blatantly. He's also fighting at LHW next against a former champ. If he fights Morrell at 175 and beats him then he'll silence any remaining critics.
Same
At the time your observations and critiques were 100% valid though. They fight the fights to see what happens and the official outcomes & factual events give us a more current understanding of the landscape. At least to normal people without a narrative or agenda to push. Things change and actions matter more than fans arguing hypotheticals or just to feel like pseudo experts.
The whole point to the sport is for the fights to actually happen and to let the results speak for themselves. So much of that is lost with most of these fanboys. They take a silly stance and spend their entire existence trying to justify it instead of forming their opinion or changing their mind based on actual actions.

Last edited:
How toxic can a thread get?
-Dejulez/ Cariñito / Merjereigo race baiting with his 14th account
-Fan fiction of that time GGG beat Canelo
-Fan fiction of that time Loma beat Haney
IF A FIGHT IS CLOSE & IT HAD MULTIPLE TOSS UP ROUNDS, YOU'RE AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT TO CRY ROBBERY, THEN SPAM THIS VIEW DOWN EVERYBODY ELSE'S THROAT.
It shows you have no basic math skills. It shows you don't have basic vocabulary skills. It shows you still don't understand how boxing scoring criteria works. It shows you value your worthless opinion over factual outcomes to protect your falsely inflated ego.

Same
At the time your observations and critiques were 100% valid though. They fight the fights to see what happens and the official outcomes & factual events give us a more current understanding of the landscape. At least to normal people without a narrative or agenda to push. Things change and actions matter more than fans arguing hypocriticals or just to feel like pseudo experts.
The whole point to the sport is for the fights to actually happen and to let the results speak for themselves. So much of that is lost with most of these fanboys. They take a silly stance and spend their entire existence trying to justify it instead of forming their opinion or changing their mind based on actual actions.
Thanks. Yeah I read through the thread. It's a sad discussion. Normally I jump in but I've been too busy lately to argue with idiots for days on end. Haven't been around much for the last week.

Somehow the word "overrated" in a thread title makes its going down the shitter kind of predictable.

I prefer to actually accept the outcomes of fights than all these narratives fans create to cope.
Andrade's resume & career speaks for itself.
He's literally known for inactivity, being a boring fighter, not having power, and a poor resume.
Pick any of those to why David is the better pro as well.
The outcome of the fight is factual reality. There is no question benavidez beat andrade. The only question is "why?" If you see the two fighters in the ring withe tremendous size disparity. If you know that it was only andrade's second fight at the weight. But you choose to believe andrade lost because benavidez is exciting and andade is boring, well you're entitled to your opinion.

No didn't say that. I said its a quality win. Much worse wins have been regarded much higher for other fighters. Dirrel is a better win at 168 than Callum smith and BJS for example. If Dirrell was losing the fight vs yildrim at the time of the stoppage how was he awarded the win? See you know nothing about boxing. I'm curious. Do you think Canelo thinks David is overrated?

You are dismissing beating a 35-1 2 time reigning wc. If canelo beat dirrell you would be saying it was a great win.
First of all you said this: "If that fight (benavidez-direll) was not a significant win then you just erased most of the best wins for every fighter in the sport of boxing." this means you believe the dirrell win would be among the "best" wins for any fighter. My point was it therefore seems you have a very high opinion of dirrell. so, you must have an equally high opinion of the guys (jack and bika) who drew with dirrell and beat him.

Secondly, watch the yildrim fight. then you will know what i'm talking about.

Thirdly, I am the one who said in my original post that "canelo is ducking benavidez." so, of course i don't think canelo believes benavidez is overrated...what are you even talking about?

I'm calling benavidez "overrated" because he is gaining a reputation that is undeserved. if he really was as fearsome and fearless as his image, he would have already accepted fights with morrell (who challenged him before the andrade fight) and beterbiev (only fair, since benavidez wanted charlo to jump up to 168 and fight him, and andrade is a small bw only in his second fight at 168.)

Lastly, i am no canelo fan, as you will find out if you stick around this forum. I just believe in being fair.

The outcome of the fight is factual reality. There is no question benavidez beat andrade. The only question is "why?" If you see the two fighters in the ring withe tremendous size disparity. If you know that it was only andrade's second fight at the weight. But you choose to believe andrade lost because benavidez is exciting and andade is boring, well you're entitled to your opinion.
Those are excuses, but ok I'll bite. Power & durability can make you a "better boxer" than someone who lacks it. What has Andrade done to prove he's a "better boxer" than a guy who took his soul in a boxing ring? What about Andrade's career and lack of fights at the lower weights makes Andrade "the better boxer" to you?

First of all you said this: "If that fight (benavidez-direll) was not a significant win then you just erased most of the best wins for every fighter in the sport of boxing." this means you believe the dirrell win would be among the "best" wins for any fighter. My point was it therefore seems you have a very high opinion of dirrell. so, you must have an equally high opinion of the guys (jack and bika) who drew with dirrell and beat him.

Secondly, watch the yildrim fight. then you will know what i'm talking about.

Thirdly, I am the one who said in my original post that "canelo is ducking benavidez." so, of course i don't think canelo believes benavidez is overrated...what are you even talking about?

I'm calling benavidez "overrated" because he is gaining a reputation that is undeserved. if he really was as fearsome and fearless as his image, he would have already accepted fights with morrell (who challenged him before the andrade fight) and beterbiev (only fair, since benavidez wanted charlo to jump up to 168 and fight him, and andrade is a small bw only in his second fight at 168.)

Lastly, i am no canelo fan, as you will find out if you stick around this forum. I just believe in being fair.

So despite beating the crap put of every one he has ever fought including world champion calibre guys, he is not fearsome because he has not fought a guy with 10 fights? Ye that is logical obviously/s

Dirrell is a better win at 168 than Saunders and Callum Smith, he was a good fighter a 2 time WC, regardless if he didn't have the best fight against Yildrium. Everyone pumps up Canelo beating BJS who was not even a legit SM and beat nobody there but Dirrell apparently not worth a mention, ye ok. Jack is a 3 division champ, and Dirrell had a close fight with him.

Morrells team sent no contract I have seen nothing but talk from morrell, using him as some metric is a joke he has still not fought a single top 10 fighter as pro. Benavidez is looking up not down. Like I said I think he is actually still underrated. Lots of people still think he just a size bully with limited skill. Lets see opinions after he beats the crap put of gvozdyk. Overrated fighters would be Haney, Shakur, Tank as they are listed as p4p and don't deserve it.

i just saw that gvozdyk is a 5-1 underdog. that's absurd. am i the only one who thinks he's got a real shot at whooping david?

i just saw that gvozdyk is a 5-1 underdog. that's absurd. am i the only one who thinks he's got a real shot at whooping david?
I think Gvozdyk has a better chance than that. It really depends on which version shows up though. He's past prime now but who knows by how much. One thing he struggled with against Beterbiev obviously was the pressure. He couldn't keep him off. Eventually it got to him. At times Beterbiev had to walk through fire to get there. The safe bet is on the much younger, faster, fresher Benavidez.

I think Gvozdyk has a better chance than that. It really depends on which version shows up though. He's past prime now but who knows by how much. One thing he struggled with against Beterbiev obviously was the pressure. He couldn't keep him off. Eventually it got to him. At times Beterbiev had to walk through fire to get there. The safe bet is on the much younger, faster, fresher Benavidez.
i haven't seen that fight in a while, but i remember him being very competitive with artur in the first 8 rounds. i quickly checked the scores, he won 6 of the first 8 rounds on the scorecards. i know how it ended and it was brutal, i'm just saying people are quick to forget that he was doing really well until artur finally cracked him.

he has the reach advantage, he's the cleaner boxer, i think he still has power... i honestly see him as a live dog here.

but you could be right, he's 37 and had spent quite some time retired, not to mention having taken a horrendous beating from beterbiev. i just feel like this is much more of a test for benavidez than people assume, i don't think he's faced anyone with quite the same skill and physical attributes before.

What has he got left in the tank though. I’d definitely pick the fighter that fought beterbiev to beat benevidez if he was anywhere near his best. However you gotta wonder how much that beating took out of him and he’s been retired ever since. I’m surprised to even see him back in the ring tbh. I honestly believe he’s gonna be a shadow of his former self. I hope I’m wrong as I really liked him as a fighter

Edit; only just found out that beterbiev was also the only fighter to stop Gvozdyk as a amateur as well. In his last fight as an ami, he also beat bivol

Last edited:
i haven't seen that fight in a while, but i remember him being very competitive with artur in the first 8 rounds. i quickly checked the scores, he won 6 of the first 8 rounds on the scorecards. i know how it ended and it was brutal, i'm just saying people are quick to forget that he was doing really well until artur finally cracked him.

he has the reach advantage, he's the cleaner boxer, i think he still has power... i honestly see him as a live dog here.

but you could be right, he's 37 and had spent quite some time retired, not to mention having taken a horrendous beating from beterbiev. i just feel like this is much more of a test for benavidez than people assume, i don't think he's faced anyone with quite the same skill and physical attributes before.
So Gvozdyk is definitely a question mark at this point. We've also never seen Benavidez fight anyone half decent at LHW. How will he look? There's more than one question to be answered here. Gvozdyk might be effective early but I think eventually Benavidez will break him down. The last time he fought an actual top level fighter was Beterbiev and it forced him into retirement for several years.

What has he got left in the tank though. I’d definitely pick the fighter that fought beterbiev to beat benevidez if he was anywhere near his best. However you gotta wonder how much that beating took out of him and he’s been retired ever since. I’m surprised to even see him back in the ring tbh. I honestly believe he’s gonna be a shadow of his former self. I hope I’m wrong as I really liked him as a fighter

Edit; only just found out that beterbiev was also the only fighter to stop Gvozdyk as a amateur as well. In his last fight as an ami, he also beat bivol
well he's had 3 fights since coming out of retirement. it's not like he's been inactive since 2019, he fought 3 times in 2023. granted, it was against subpar competition so it's difficult to gouge how good he is.

So Gvozdyk is definitely a question mark at this point. We've also never seen Benavidez fight anyone half decent at LHW. How will he look? There's more than one question to be answered here. Gvozdyk might be effective early but I think eventually Benavidez will break him down. The last time he fought an actual top level fighter was Beterbiev and it forced him into retirement for several years.
right, but that top level fighter was beterbiev haha

anyway, i'm gonna try to dig more info on where gvozdyk is training, if he looks half decent in camp, i'm putting a few bucks on him. the odds are ridiculous.

well he's had 3 fights since coming out of retirement. it's not like he's been inactive since 2019, he fought 3 times in 2023. granted, it was against subpar competition so it's difficult to gouge how good he is.

right, but that top level fighter was beterbiev haha

anyway, i'm gonna try to dig more info on where gvozdyk is training, if he looks half decent in camp, i'm putting a few bucks on him. the odds are ridiculous.
I lost track of Gvozdyk over the years. He's being advised by Eddy Reynoso now. Is he training him too? No idea.

I lost track of Gvozdyk over the years. He's being advised by Eddy Reynoso now. Is he training him too? No idea.
marco contreras is training him now, apparently.

hard to get anything other than that on their camp. they don't have much of a social media presence.

Back