Is Fiorot VS Blanchfield the highest level non title fight in WMMA history?

I like her too but don’t you think the differential between her striking and her grappling too wide?
that's correct, she trains at the Grazie gym and she's great with bjj, but her striking has a lot of holes

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Jedrzejczyk/Gadelha 1.
As I remember, it was considered (w/o much if any dissent) the match to figure out which fighter was going to beat whoever came out on top of TUF with the belt that year.
Not even close. Shevchenko vs. Nunes 1 was the battle of 2 future champions and divisional GOATs.
Absolutely!
It's definitely in the top 5.
^This

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Jedrzejczyk/Gadelha 1.
As I remember, it was considered (w/o much if any dissent) the match to figure out which fighter was going to beat whoever came out on top of TUF with the belt that year.
Easy to look back and say that now but plenty of people were picking Esparza to beat joanna, she was the betting favorite too

Easy to look back and say that now but plenty of people were picking Esparza to beat joanna, she was the betting favorite too
I knew really nothing about Joanna except that she was a striker and the talent pool was limited, whereas female wrestlers were rarer and probably harder to deal with so I just defaulted to: "wrestler beats striker."

I didn't even question it until the face offs when the size difference was so apparent
ff47f406-5b1d-4eab-8a62-7fa7780789b9_4a22fbee.jpg

Next thing I know, I'm watching the champ unable to grab a leg cuz when her opponent sprawled, her legs were over in the next state.

And meanwhile, I'm just thinking about all the people I knew who didn't keep up with MMA as much as me who told me Joanna would win, and I'm sitting there like

yylZF47.png

Joanna vs. Weili IMO.

This is a really solid though fight.

2 of the few WMMA fighters who are worth watching, both practically undefeated just 1 split decision loss a piece. Skilled everywhere Blanch more in grappling and Fiorot more standing.

Blanch walked through Andrade like nothing as dominant as Valentina looked against her and then beat Taila who many thought beat Valentina. Fiorot just beat Chook and Rose and previously beat the piss out of Mayra who just fought for the title.

Can't think of a higher level non title WMMA fight and its a higher level than most WMMA title fights too.
No Nunes vs Zingano

That was genuinely the sentiment that I remember; but fair enough.

I didn’t really know much about Joanna; just that she’d had a ton of kickboxing experience that I assumed would carry her in the young division.
That said, I remember thinking “for the uncrowned championship” at the time of the fight against Claudia.
Admittedly there were some sour grapes on my part since Hill got eliminated so quickly on TUF; but I’m always skeptical of TUF competitors right out of the gate.

2 of the few WMMA fighters who are worth watching, both practically undefeated just 1 split decision loss a piece. Skilled everywhere Blanch more in grappling and Fiorot more standing.

Blanch walked through Andrade like nothing as dominant as Valentina looked against her and then beat Taila who many thought beat Valentina. Fiorot just beat Chook and Rose and previously beat the piss out of Mayra who just fought for the title.

Can't think of a higher level non title WMMA fight and its a higher level than most WMMA title fights too.
Pretty short term memory on your part.
Zhang vs JJ 2, and it's not close.

I would argue that Valentina's win against Santos was the extremely lucky win, being a much closer fight. Blanchfield was taking over the fight so her being in a 5 rounder should bode well for her going forward. And I think she's a terrible style matchup for Grasso. I see whoever wins next weekend as the champion in waiting. Val is old and Grasso is a transitional champion.
Yes, Valentina's win against Santos was lucky too. She's clearly past her prime. She has looked beatable in her last 3 fights.

Blanchfield wasn't taking over though. Santos was on her way to an easy win until Erin was lucky to land on top after rebounding against the cage. It wasn't some good TDD. Tayla was successfully taking her down to continue dominanting the fight and Erin was saved by sheer luck.

Still don t care

Back