Is GSP articulate in French?

The way GSP gave up in the Serra fight shows his French background. I am sure he is good at appealing to the French speaking audience.

He doesn't sound as articulate as a Bisping or a Dan Hardy but I think a lot of it has to do with the cameras.

It's like he tries too hard to find the proper words for television.

I once saw a clip of him speaking french with someone else and he spoke a lot differently than he does when he's being interviewed. A lot more natural.

Last edited:
Pretty sure at some point in the recent past he mentioned how he doesn't talk back to trash talkers because he's always having to translate things in his head to French and he's more comfortable with French. So I'm pretty sure he's able to speak well.

GSP speaks well in french but he's just not a natural. Doesnt seem like himself, like he tries to speak better than he really does.

Pat Cote, who also commentate the fight since at least 7-8 years, is great though. Really well spoken.
Beat me to it.

Just posted the same thing. It seems like he tries too hard to sound educated and use more complex words rather than just speak the way he normally would with his buddies. This makes him seem less articulate.

Bisping just speaks like he would with anybody else which makes him look natural on TV.

He's fine

Of course he doesn't have the oral skills of a politician but it's more than adequate for what he does as an analyst.

That said he's still not on the level of Patrick Coté. The Predator is simply on another level and the best MMA analyst overall.

He's never done it before, so he'll suck at first.

He'll improve, that's for sure. GSP is a master at surrounding himself with the right people and improving.

Qui, le train depart a quelle heur?

Thread is asking is he's articulate, if he'll make a good commentator. Everyone in the thread is like "he has one of them Frenchie accents so yeah he probably can speak French!".

lol exactly stupid monolinguistic americans who can't even understand english

jon jones is a native english speaker. but remember when he tried to do commentary for UFC???? he was fucking terrible at it
the thread is asking the same thing about GSP: will be he be french-canadian dom cruz or the french canadian jon jones of commentary?

He's never done it before, so he'll suck at first.

He'll improve, that's for sure. GSP is a master at surrounding himself with the right people and improving.
Exactly. Unless you've tried to sit in front of a microphone for a job it's hard to understand how difficult it is to sound natural. But it comes with practice like any skill, though natural talent means some will be better at it than others. I'd have to see GSP at work to know how where he fits in with that. Consider the difference between Stann and Bisping. Stann worked hard to improve and the result was noticeable, but he was never as smooth on the mic as Bisping was from the start even though Bisping also had plenty of room for improvement.

There's no reason to believe that the French American dialects stayed "pure" for centuries, especially without a solid and unified education system two or three hundred years ago while being ruled by English speaking people. Also Quebecois are more influenced by English words than the French, the only difference is that they translate them to sound more French while we usually keep them as they are (weekend, email...).

french were ruled by Catholic Church in a agrarian society for the most part, while English were mostly in charge of the economy and big economic centres.

It wasn’t an integrated society.

their language remained common folk language, but it’s still French language without all the anglicsms french from France adopted

We have evolved, they haven't. With all due respect to Canadians, the canadian french accent make them sound like peasants. Quebec's obsession to keep every words french makes it laughable. At least France will always keep its language and we don't feel threatened to be swallowed by english language from America nearby.

As opposed to sounding like french cosmopolitan sissies? I guess that’s much better...

And yeah, they want to preserve their language cause they feel threatened by English influences all around them.

I guess french in France don’t have that problem, cause they just surrender to a more powerful foe.

also Quebecers might talk funny, but they do a good job of integrating their immigrants and big majority feel like they’re home.

In France they just put them in those “banlieue” and these ppl get more resentful after every generation.

so forget about “keeping the language”, are french gonna keep their own country?

iu

As opposed to sounding like french cosmopolitan sissies? I guess that’s much better...

And yeah, they want to preserve their language cause they feel threatened by English influences all around them.

I guess french in France don’t have that problem, cause they just surrender to a more powerful foe.

also Quebecers might talk funny, but they do a good job of integrating their immigrants and big majority feel like they’re home.

In France they just put them in those “banlieue” and these ppl get more resentful after every generation.

so forget about “keeping the language”, are french gonna keep their own country?

You must be fun at parties. Canadians are not doing a better job than the French, just because you put them in nice little housing doesnt make racism and discriminations disapear, try again.

You must be fun at parties. Canadians are not doing a better job than the French, just because you put them in nice little housing doesnt make racism and discriminations disapear, try again.

It’s not gonna disappear but it’s a much more open society with more opportunities.

that’s why shitload of frenchies come to Quebec to study and live there.

Even native french are fleeing that sinking ship.

In 100 years when french from France is loaded with arabisms frenchies will still be acting “superior” to Quebecers n pretend their french is “pure” (if there’s anything left of their country)

french were ruled by Catholic Church in a agrarian society for the most part, while English were mostly in charge of the economy and big economic centres.

It wasn’t an integrated society.

their language remained common folk language, but it’s still French language without all the anglicsms french from France adopted

None of that would explain how a language could magically stay exactly the same over three centuries in rural places covering a quite vast territory. Also Quebecois uses more words of English origin than France's French, it's just that they put a small layer of make-up over it, and young people use a ton of full-blown Anglicisms in their everyday lives.

I live in Montreal. My native tongue is French and I've met GSP before. I would say his French is ''decent'', not on part with Cormier/Bisping in terms of fluidity. GSP thinks carefully about each word he's gonna say, which takes away from a more natural speech. He's a very smart guy, it's just that he's extremely worried about his image and doesn't want to say something controversial I think.

I think he'll be an ''okay'' commentator.

I don't speak French, but I'm guessing his French is great judging by his heavy accent.
Lol I know guys from Quebec with the same of not a heavier accent and don't speak a word of French.

Back