Is GSP articulate in French?

So Quebec French speakers have a unique accent when speaking English, compared to French speakers from other French speaking countries?
Quebecois usually have a lesser accent and speak way better english than other french speakers

As a bilingual Canadian that deals with french companies, yes he is quite articulate in french.

It's a different kind of language though. Actually reminds me of hebrew in a lot of ways in that native speakers tend to speak very quickly and string words together. Frankly arabic is in the same category.

Do you think you could give an english commentator as comparison?

Sorry for the late reply.

That's a tough one. I don't have a name on top of my head, but I guess try and picture someone's who's English is decent, but almost sounds robotic when talking. GSP is much more relaxed when he's with his friends/bars, etc. but when the camera is on he turns into a robot because he's so scared to tarnish his image. Don't get me wrong, he's a class act and always very approachable here in Montreal. Absolute gentleman and a great example for every athlete.

The level of French commentators is drastically lower than the English ones. Here in Quebec, MMA (often called 'UFC') is much less popular because it's overshadowed by Hockey. French NHL has great French commentators who master the language extremely well. If I had to grade it, I would say the French NHL commentators are as close to a 10 as you can get and GSP is a 5. For example, Patrick Cote is basically on par with GSP in terms is mastery of French and he's been commentating UFC in French forever.

I think the UFC is hiring ''known'' MMA figures more than masters at French (who also know MMA) because it'll get more people to tune in. All my friends are like ''Oh GSP will be commentating? I might check it out!''. He's very popular in Quebec and people might legit tune in just cause it's him rather than a well spoken random French guy.

He's got good French for the Canadian listeners. People across the pond that speak it may find it harder to understand.

I certainly hope it's better than his English.

Back