Is Islam Makhachev the most well-rounded fighter in MMA history?

Looking at the guy's skillset, he really has zero weaknesses. Statistically least hit fighter in MMA history, elite wrestler, elite ground game, KO'd one of the best strikers.

All the GOATs had weaknesses, but not this guy

- GSP: finishing ability
- Jones: boxing
- DJ: undersized, takedown defense
- Fedor: loopy punches, lower body takedowns
- Silva: takedown defense, can't lead

If only he fought more he'd already be a top 5 GOAT
DJ's TDD is phenomenal.

DJ! When he started going muay thai on Cejudo I was like who is this, Anderson Silva?

giphy.gif

He always finds ways to surprise me. Most recently was his beautiful, walk-off, flying knee.

source.gif

The fact that he returned the favor of left knee KO was art.

The fact that he returned the favor of left knee KO was art.
DJ was a beast. Never got the shine he deserved. Kinda reminds me of Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the most talented athletes ever but yet doesn't get a fraction of the credit he deserves. Both him and DJ are more beloved by people in their MMA/NBA communities than they are by the fans.

DJ was a beast. Never got the shine he deserved. Kinda reminds me of Hakeem Olajuwon, one of the most talented athletes ever but yet doesn't get a fraction of the credit he deserves. Both him and DJ are more beloved by people in their MMA/NBA communities than they are by the fans.
Agreed.

Goat resume, insane Well rounded skill set, stayed active and elite into his late 30s. Really likable dude, crazy intelligent about combat sports, still trying to better himself even after years and years of elite success.

What's not to like?

DJ! When he started going muay thai on Cejudo I was like who is this, Anderson Silva?

giphy.gif

He always finds ways to surprise me. Most recently was his beautiful, walk-off, flying knee.

source.gif
Thank you for ending this thread.

If you're comparing to these guys, I will reserve my decision until Islam gets his 8th title defense. Until then its not comparable.

Last edited:
Lmao you mention jon jones and still ask that question. "Jon Jones skill is from god"- abdulmanap nurmagamedov

he just hasn't fought enough to make a decision on that. he has some great wins though

he subbed the scariest bjj in the game
the guy who beat max 3x and has great standup got chinned in 1 round

Its hilarious that a young 23 yr old islam gets more shit for getting KO'd in his second UFC fight than GSP gets for getting KO'd by a bum journeyman WHEN HE WAS A CHAMPION lol
??? young 23...?

true...GSP was much much older at 25 when he lost to serra.

** interesting fact - serra had previously went the distance with young prime bj penn in a close fight (before the winning the tuf series).

Back