Social Is marijuana addictive and dangerous?

Alcohol definitely has more problems associated with it. My friend's a Cop and he said most of the violent shit he has to deal with is Alcohol fueled. Never pot. I've been smoking for 20 years all the while teaching Kickboxing classes and working out 5 days a week. It hasn't seemed to hurt my lungs or cardio capacity at all.

Oh yeah, alcohol is a destructive drug that got grandfathered in because Europeans couldn't drink the water without there being a bit of booze in it for centuries. If you had a blank slate society and were deciding what not to cut loose in it, alcohol would probably be reasonably high on that list - and I'm fairly certain higher than marijuana. But, that's the power of culture for you.

And, good for you. I know a number of people who seem to balance it into their lives really well. Some who don't, but I don't know enough about their circumstances to say whether it's the marijuana that's the problem or just their personalities. Hell, there are people who let video games or onlyfans girls essentially destroy their lives - it's not always the substance or activity that's the problem, but rather the person.

Addictive ? Sure. Everything you enjoy is relatively addictive. Dangerous ? Not in itself. But it certainly isn't for everybody. I've been smoking since I was 14 . It's a very easy thing to be in control of. The negative outcomes are few and far between. Alcohol was always the gateway to absoloute hell.

Lame...this marijuana addiction syndrome could be replaced with anything else, let's try pokemon
  • Intense cravings to play pokemon
  • Physical withdrawal symptoms after not playing pokemon
  • Giving up activities to play pokemon
  • Work or school problems
  • Relationship issues
  • Getting in dangerous situations because of pokemon (like driving while playing pokemon)
  • Increasing physical tolerance of pokemon
The real shame is probably millions of tax dollars went into this study.

There is no physical tolerance of Pokemon, like there is with weed. Weed is not a purely mental addiction, like gambling or video games. It's a literal drug that alters body chemistry. I'm all on the weed train, but for fuck's sake, quit linking it to behavioral addictions. No, it not like being addicted to riding a bike, or playing Pokemon. It's a drug.

It's definitely addictive, but not to a "you'll kill your grandmother for a hit" type of deal. You get addicted to the high and routine. It's mostly just dangerous to your bank account, if you get addicted. It ain't exactly healthy, but it's on the lower end of the spectrum.

Gateway? It's possible, but I think if you do upgrade to harder drugs on a consistent basis, you were probably hard wired for it anyways, and would've done it all the same if alcohol was your cherry popper all the same. I can only speak from experience. I've done everything under the sun, with weed being the big first one out of the gate, and all I ever had a taste on a regular basis, was weed. I didn't ever get an urge to make the hard shit part of life, even though I have indulged on occasion and liked the drugs I took in the moment. They were always in another category for me that I could personally regulate.

Yeah, this is kind of what I figured. I think I've seen it do damage to peoples' lives, but not in the giving handjobs in the alley for it kind of way.

I suspect a significant part of the issue with it is culture. It being a forbidden substance had it lumped in with really bad substances for a long time - so if you went to a party for weed, the other stuff was there too. That made it a gateway in virtue of cultural connection, rather than something inherent to it. Some dude growing plants in his garage isn't going to feel some instinctive urge to get into heroin, I'd imagine.

Increased irritability? It's the exact opposite. It makes you NOT irritable... The memory loss may have been a factor but I can't recall. :cool:

Its definitely a side effect, and a common one. This is documented in studies. Once wrote a paper on it.

The irritability shows itself most prominently during the user's sober intervals, where the conditioned reliance upon marijuana for relaxation is more readily apparent.

Think of it like a withdrawal symptom, because that's what it often is.

But it is also observed in individual who's weed induced relaxation is disrupted.

I'm a bit curious about where the general consensus is on this. I have three questions.

First, is marijuana addictive?
Second, is marijuana dangerous?
Third, is marijuana a gateway drug?

Honestly, I don't really care if the answer is "yes, yes, and yes." Our society is damn near built around us shoving sugary drinks down our gullets, putting ourselves in front of screens which addict us to constant hits of dopamine, social media which makes us become accustomed to interacting with each in the worst way possible... Our society is all about self destruction, so what's one more vice in our lives? That being said, is the verdict out? Is marijuana addictive, dangerous, and a gateway drug - or isn't it?

Is it addictive
I think anything can be habit forming ....but just the same think about detoxing alcohol benzos or opiates and tell me which you'd rather come off. Most people will not get addicted to weed and if they do its going to be easier to treat than most other abused substances

Is it dangerous
I think it can be dangerous if used by someone with an already unstable mind. You can also be a danger to yourself when intoxicated.. but compared to alcohol I would argue its way less dangerous addictive and that you are way less of a danger to yourself and others when stoned vs booze and or other drugs

Is it a gateway drug
only in states where it's illegal. It was more of a gateway drug when you got it from a drug dealer and they had other things to offer. You don't get that with a dispensary system and with so many people just growing pot and not really involved in the dope game. And to harp on booze I'd say it's way more of a gateway ...its at every parry totally acceptable and it fucks your judgement more than any other drug I can think of.

Conclusion....it has its problems and it's dangers but all arguments against it being legal ring hollow as long as alcohol is available and legal. The policy just does not make a lick of sense to me. It's not totally harmless but it seems most people who use it are not really harmed all that badly.

Is stuff like this just poppycock?

"How Addictive Is Marijuana?

Marijuana use disorder affects about 30% of marijuana users, according to the NIDA. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says about 10% of users become addicted, or feel a compulsive need for marijuana despite how it affects their lives.

Marijuana Addiction Symptoms
Marijuana use disorder is characterized by:

• Intense cravings to use marijuana
  • Physical withdrawal symptoms after the last use
  • Giving up activities to use marijuana instead
  • Work or school problems
  • Relationship issues
  • Getting in dangerous situations because of marijuana (like driving while under the influence)
  • Increasing physical tolerance
Physical symptoms of marijuana withdrawal include:

• Irritability
  • Cravings
  • Restlessness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Insomnia
  • Headaches
  • Sweating
  • Chills
Increased tolerance, or needing more and more marijuana to get high, can contribute to marijuana dependence in heavy users, Jason Levine, PhD, a clinical psychologist based in Los Angeles, tells WebMD Connect to Care.

“Dependence means that the central nervous system decreases its ability to experience the effects of the drug as a means to create balance,” Levine says. “More of the drug is needed to create the desired mind altering effect ... ”

Marijuana can also be psychologically addictive, meaning an addict might have an emotional attachment to the drug. Psychological signs of marijuana addiction include:

• Loss of interest in activities
    • Relationship problems
    • An inability to stop using marijuana
    • Cravings
"

Is Marijuana Addictive? (webmd.com)
I think this is just a description of a hyper-addictive personality.

I've smoked pot for 25+ years and haven't had any of these issues and haven't seen anyone around me with these issues unless they are straight addicts and it turns into a "chasing the dragon" scenario.

To be fair, the older I've gotten the less I partake... I usually just smoke at night while watching TV, maybe I got lucky not being in the 30%?

Its definitely a side effect, and a common one. This is documented in studies. Once wrote a paper on it.

The irritability shows itself most prominently during the user's sober intervals, where the conditioned reliance upon marijuana for relaxation is more readily apparent.

Think of it like a withdrawal symptom, because that's what it often is.

But it is also observed in individual who's weed induced relaxation is disrupted.
Huh. Like I said upstream, I go without for days at a time when I'm traveling and I haven't noticed any difference in myself, other than maybe TV being less enjoyable. :D

There is no physical tolerance of Pokemon, like there is with weed. Weed is not a purely mental addiction, like gambling or video games. It's a literal drug that alters body chemistry. I'm all on the weed train, but for fuck's sake, quit linking it to behavioral addictions. No, it not like being addicted to riding a bike, or playing Pokemon. It's a drug.
I'm shitting on the examples chosen to prove "addiction" in this case, now if they sited something like u mention sure, but this example reakes of laziness in which u could literally substitute anything remotely enjoyable with marijuana. Blowjobs, pork chops, literally anything could be used in this weak list of "symptoms" Again I'm a moron don't listen to me.

Huh. Like I said upstream, I go without for days at a time when I'm traveling and I haven't noticed any difference in myself, other than maybe being more bored watching TV. :D

Not everyone reacts or responds the same.

If irritability isn't an issue for you, more power to you. But it is for many people, and making that aspect of it known is part of having a society that uses responsibly.

I'm a bit curious about where the general consensus is on this. I have three questions.

Honestly, I don't really care if the answer is "yes, yes, and yes." Our society is damn near built around us shoving sugary drinks down our gullets, putting ourselves in front of screens which addict us to constant hits of dopamine, social media which makes us become accustomed to interacting with each in the worst way possible... Our society is all about self destruction, so what's one more vice in our lives? That being said, is the verdict out? Is marijuana addictive, dangerous, and a gateway drug - or isn't it?

Definitely addictive.

Definitely has risks.

Some research suggests it may be a gateway drug, but most people who use don't go on to use other drugs.

Honestly, loving how level and balanced this discussion is so far. Usually when these discussions start up you have one side pushing the "It's a gateway to SATAN!" angle versus the "Look man, skip chemo and just smoke weed and it'll cure your cancer."

Definitely addictive.

Definitely has risks.

Some research suggests it may be a gateway drug, but most people who use don't go on to use other drugs.

For me it was a " gateway " drug because I had to get it from those who had far more access to other harder drugs.. and that shit looked fun

For me it was a " gateway " drug because I had to get it from those who had far more access to other harder drugs.. and that shit looked fun

Yeah, this is kind of what I meant (above) talking about it being a gateway drug could be a product of culture. Basically, if you have to go to a guy who sells illegal drugs to get it, you're going to have access to illegal drugs when you get it. Probably lead to a lot of people figuring they wanted to try something much more dangerous for a chaser.

Yeah, this is kind of what I meant (above) talking about it being a gateway drug could be a product of culture. Basically, if you have to go to a guy who sells illegal drugs to get it, you're going to have access to illegal drugs when you get it. Probably lead to a lot of people figuring they wanted to try something much more dangerous for a chaser.

Without a doubt

Honestly, loving how level and balanced this discussion is so far. Usually when these discussions start up you have one side pushing the "It's a gateway to SATAN!" angle versus the "Look man, skip chemo and just smoke weed and it'll cure your cancer."
Are we having a respectful debate in the War Room? Maybe we should move this to the Gayberry lol.
<JennieThumbsUp>

Might depend on the person on how addictive it is. I smoked for years and then just cold stopped. Was never addicted to it.

Back