Is mma still popular in Japan?

What do you call "popular"?

Relative to most countries, MMA in Japan is quite big.

MMA is not mega mainstream in Japan, but it isn't anywhere. It has a very good following.

While it is true that there are many sports more popular than Japan, you have to consider that Japan is a large country and they are huge consumers in general.

I allways wondered how in country so big and rich like Japan, in last 15 years there is no some big company, Tv house, or rich individuals like sports, baseball, football club owners who would invest more money into Japanese MMA; in country and culture that is naturally keen to and loves martial arts.

Of Course, Rizin does not have the Pride numbers, but audience knows that it does not heve the best fighters in the world. With more investment, Rizin could bring some known names from UFC who go out of contract like Bellator does, and mix it with Sakakibara's and Takada's traditionally good scouting of Russian, eastern Europe and Brazilian prospects + recruting of stars from judo or simillar. Specially in most atractive HW category.

They could really revitalize ring MMA and japanese rules version.

I allways wondered how in country so big and rich like Japan, in last 15 years there is no some big company, Tv house, or rich individuals like sports, baseball, football club owners who would invest more money into Japanese MMA; in country and culture that is naturally keen to and loves martial arts.

Of Course, Rizin does not have the Pride numbers, but audience knows that it does not heve the best fighters in the world. With more investment, Rizin could bring some known names from UFC who go out of contract like Bellator does, and mix it with Sakakibara's and Takada's traditionally good scouting of Russian, eastern Europe and Brazilian prospects + recruting of stars from judo or simillar. Specially in most atractive HW category.

They could really revitalize ring MMA and japanese rules version.

Or they could invest in something that makes more money.

Wowow shows as UFC PPVs as part of regular subscription. Wowow will show more boxing since have Japanese champs and it is popular. There are MMA training gyms., some focus on grappling others striking. Baseball and soccer are tops. Video games too.

The last Rizin NYE card had the best average viewership in their history just slightly beating out 2015 and 2020..

Screen-Shot-2022-01-10-at-11.28.32-PM.png

Source:
https://sogo-kaku.com/2196-2/

Wowow shows as UFC PPVs as part of regular subscription. Wowow will show more boxing since have Japanese champs and it is popular. There are MMA training gyms., some focus on grappling others striking. Baseball and soccer are tops. Video games too.
I wish catch would get popular again
Funaki fujiaraw suzuki

Boxing is bigger than pro wrestling and mma and kickboxing
According to MMA manager Shu Hirata, Mikuru Asakura's freakshow streetfighting PPV out sold the Naoya Inoue December PPV. Both shows were on Abema. Naoya's is Japan's most popular boxer, but his fanbase didn't translate to his first PPV. Naoya was facing a non draw, but the same goes for the street fighters that fought Mikuru.

I hope one day Rizin will have a huge event with over 100 000 people like back in 2002 when they did K-1 vs Pride (around 70 000 i assume was there)

Putting the best fighters on the planet on the same event, Francis Ngannou vs anyone to be honest.

The last Rizin NYE card had the best average viewership in their history just slightly beating out 2015 and 2020..

Screen-Shot-2022-01-10-at-11.28.32-PM.png

Source:
https://sogo-kaku.com/2196-2/

I think the pandemic have forced Rizin to promote more local fighters, so once the pandemic is over it will be easier for them to get more viewers and fans.

According to MMA manager Shu Hirata, Mikuru Asakura's freakshow streetfighting PPV out sold the Naoya Inoue December PPV. Both shows were on Abema. Naoya's is Japan's most popular boxer, but his fanbase didn't translate to his first PPV. Naoya was facing a non draw, but the same goes for the street fighters that fought Mikuru.
Murata is a bigger draw than Inoue, he’s just too inactive.
I hope one day Rizin will have a huge event with over 100 000 people like back in 2002 when they did K-1 vs Pride (around 70 000 i assume was there)

Putting the best fighters on the planet on the same event, Francis Ngannou vs anyone to be honest.

It’s not about putting the best fighters together. It;s about fan interest. It’s putting the most compelling matchups together, getting competitors that people care about and want to watch.

you could have the best compeitors on a great card, but if there’s no interest, there’s no interest. Otherwise, Affliction would still be around.

Back