Is MVP sloppy?

Compared to who or what? Very few fighters you can compare him to. The only fighter with a similar style that immediately come to mind is Lyoto Machida.

He literally fights with his arms by his waist, that would be called by definition "sloppy" if you are talking traditional MMA stand-up technique.

He almost got caught the exact same way he was caught against Douglas Lima

He'll get highlight reeled by someone with good hands and timing

No brother, I see the straws you're trying to grasp at. We all know he meant point karate, you can feign being the over literal dork, but you're only fooling your own ego to soften the blow. Pushing down the shame and doubling down doesn't work when you're alone remembering how you doubled down on an online karate forum.

Edit: liking my posts after responding 🤔 are you ok?
So delusional. Run along kiddo

MVP is definitely sloppy.

Dude has always punched himself right out of position. His style worked against cans and then it didn't against Lima, who wasn't a can.

Holland is pretty low level at everything, and MVP didn't look that amazing against him.

He's getting beaten easily as soon as he fights someone half decent in the UFC.

He makes me think of Raymond Daniels, who beat him in Karate back in the day. Fought and beat bums in kickboxing and then got completely annihilated every time he fought anyone decent, which wasn't often for a reason.

I’m not a fan of Daniels and I agree MVP can potentially look sloppy but this is an over exaggeration.

Daniels has three losses in kickboxing, only in the first Holzken fight did he take a one sided beating.

In his other two losses he was winning early but slowed down and started getting timed before eventually finished.

He noticeably improved between the first and second Holzken fight, if he had have stuck around a bit longer in kickboxing he could conceivably have found an unorthodox style that worked.

In terms of MVP I believe an elite pressure fighter can make him look sloppy but it won’t be easy.

MVP will become one with the octagon once he finds a decent wrestler.

He's flashy but I've always thought of him as a precision guy, good defense and good accuracy. Due to him slipping a few times I'm arguing with a friend that says he's sloppy. What do y'all think?
he was a lot sloppier last night than I recall from him In the past

He comes from a point fighting background. . It's like flash karate sparring. They lunge at people to score point and you pull back your punches/kicks at the last second. Scoring is based on single strikes. It can look sloppy defensively vs kickboxing or MT guys because they lunge a lot and often overextend. I think it's just another sport. They are more like fencing vs combination striking sports.

I like MVP, I honestly think that he was impressive last night for his UFC debut, that being said Holland was the most ideal stylistic matchup for ranked guys at welterweight.

I wish we could’ve gotten him in the UFC 5 years earlier, but considering MVP hasn’t taken a typical damage from years of fighting, (similar to Wonder Man) we could well see him competing top level at 40.

He needs to stay clear of clipped bad like in the first Lima fight, unfortunately IMO most of the ranked guys at 170 either wrestle fuck him or clean his clock… maybe Chiesa, Magney or Garold could be winnable fights if his TDD hold up.

Slips happen. Despaigne slipped in his fight (and then counter punched while simultaneously getting to his feet and moving backwards and moving his head, stud). Page is a point fighter for almost his entire existence, he accurate and definitely isn't sloppy
That depaigne slip-into-immediate knockout was so fuckin sick!

And yep MPV is like 37 I think, so definitely not as sharp as he once was. His stance also gets him leg kicked down a lot, a la the first Lima fight/KO.

I think it happened once last night against holland too.

MVP is very precise and his style may look like a jackass, but puts him in control of the openings. He darts in, lands and darts out. Which also helps his TDD because you have to shoot so far away. If he can't get the KO from a single strike or blitz he retreats. So he can beat you on points or get a KO in standup, no one has really solved that part of his game.

You could make a couple of critiques about MVP's striking (as you could about nearly anyone's) but sloppy would not be one of them.

How dare any of you guys call MVP a point fighter!!

He is only a point fighter if he’s made my top 10 p4p sig, everybody knows that.

Last edited:
He did a great job. He's going to get hit harder and more often as he fights better competition. Holland was... not exactly hand picked for him, but not exactly not handpicked for him either

As someone with a nick diaz pfp im guessing you watched strikeforce whats wrong with promoters booking fights to better their stars?

praying we get wonderboy mvp next

What part of "the UFC wisely booked him" was controversial to you?

Back