Economy Is New York giving Amazon corporate welfare?

Mark Hunts FIST

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Do you support coporate welfare?
Is this corporate welfare?
Amazon is a trillion dollar company. Should taxpayers pay for their incentives?

New York state is kicking in more than $1.5 billion in taxpayer-funded incentives for getting half of Amazon's second headquarters located in a section of Queens.

Amazon will also receive as-yet unspecified incentives from New York City.

New York state's incentives are nearly triple those of Virginia's, while Tennessee's are $102 million.

According to Amazon, the cost per job for New York taxpayers is $48,000, compared to $22,000 for Virginia and $13,000 for Tennessee.

In a statement released by Amazon, Cuomo called the agreement "one of the largest, most competitive economic development investments in U.S. history."

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson issued a statement saying: "Amazon is one of the richest companies in the world...I also don’t understand why a company as rich as Amazon would need nearly $2 billion in public money for its expansion plans at a time when New York desperately needs money for affordable housing, transportation, infrastructure and education."

Incentives offered to Amazon:

— Performance-based direct incentives of $1.525 billion, based on 25,000 full-time, high-paying jobs created. This includes a refundable tax credit of up to $1.2 billion calculated as a percentage of the salaries Amazon expects to pay employees over the next 10 years, which equates to $48,000 per job for 25,000 jobs with an average wage of over $150,000.

— Cash grant of $325 million based on the square footage of buildings occupied in the next 10 years.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/48k-per-amazon-hq-job

Last edited:
Tucker Carlson agrees with AOC on this one. Pretty phenomenal.

It sounds me like people are attacking the States right to collect revenue and provide services

No, I don't support corporate welfare.

Yes, 1.5$B in tax cuts is most definitely corporate welfare.

Even though Amazon is bringing jobs into the area there's no guarantee that they won't just hire talent from across the country instead of from NY specifically, and for those NYers who don't end up working for Amazon, the net benefit is increased real estate competition and higher rent prices. Yay?

Here is something that demonstrates how clear-cut the situation is:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ria-ocasio-cortez_us_5bebd78ce4b0caeec2bf7087

i was under the impression that Texas and NY exclusively attract business through means like this......

This is quite rare, but I agree with the Dems on this one.

Amazon offers low paying jobs with little to no benefits, and the job itself from what I've read sucks.

No city needs an Amazon HQ.

Yes they are. It's sick. It's the progression of the self-thought elitist corporate class and government collusion.

No, I don't support corporate welfare.

Yes, 1.5$B in tax cuts is most definitely corporate welfare.

Even though Amazon is bringing jobs into the area there's no guarantee that they won't just hire talent from across the country instead of from NY specifically, and for those NYers who don't end up working for Amazon, the net benefit is increased real estate competition and higher rent prices. Yay?

Here is something that demonstrates how clear-cut the situation is:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ria-ocasio-cortez_us_5bebd78ce4b0caeec2bf7087

But what if the $1.5B in tax cuts provides an exponential benefit to the local economy?

Amazon offers low paying jobs with little to no benefits, and the job itself from what I've read sucks.

Amazon HQ isn't going to be shitty low paying jobs. It's not a warehouse.

It's going to be high paid corporate types working there.

this is the HQ2, which isnt a warehouse fulfillment center. The Amazon corporate jobs are competitive with other tech jobs. In fact they are scouting the best talents in economics and AI right now.

Possible counter-point : This can be a financially smart investment if the numbers show that Amazon's subsidies actually pay for themselves in the long-term. Once the subsidies are paid off the additional revenue added can help pay for all the things we think New York needs (infrastructure, education, etc.).

I am bringing this up for the sake of conversation and don't actually know if this is the case (I haven't read anything with enough detail to determine one way or the other). I don't have any argument against the idea that we have bigger priorities like homelessness, infrastructure (particularly mass transit), etc.. I am simply bringing up the point that this may be financially responsible over the long term.

Also keep in mind that I've argued very hard against governments funding sports stadiums who argue the same type of thing (I believe they're different in multiple ways, though). I don't agree with it either, but think it's an interesting push-back.

Also, LO fucking L at Tucker. Republicans love this type of shit but suddenly don't when Cuomo supports it?

Amazon HQ isn't going to be shitty low paying jobs. It's not a warehouse.

It's going to be high paid corporate types working there.
I read the average salary is expected to be $150k a year. I'll let others decide for themselves if that's bullshit or not, but it's plausible.

One of the attractive things about NYC is the ability to hire talent. I assume this office will mostly be filled with technical and professional jobs.

Back