Is Ortega still the man to beat Khabib?

More doubtful after this trip to CTE City, but it's not like Khabib is going to box him up like that. Ortega is amazing on the ground, and that's where Khabib likes to go. It's a fight I'd love to see still. I still think he matches up better than Max.

Khabib out struck Conor and from what I've seen is a lot faster than Ortega and hits harder than Holloway. This wouldn't end well for Ortega.

Ortega would get wrecked.

Edit: even on the ground. Easily.

Some guys on here believed Ortega was the man to finally beat Khabib.

Are you guys (you know who you are) still of the same opinion?
Khabib struggles with bjj. Havnt seen him against submission guys really

I mean. I can't imagine anybody repeatedly taking down Ortega without getting submitted.

1 takedown a round, stay In good position and pound the far weaker guy until he can’t take it anymore.

Or pull off a crazy sub from back while taking beating?

I’d bet Khabib, as they say there are levels to this game

D fuq are you talking about? Are you trolling?
These are Khabib's submission grappling creds:
Grappling
  • NAGA World Championship
    • 2012 Men's No-Gi Expert Welterweight Champion
    • 2012 ADCC Rules No-Gi Expert Welterweight Champion
As well as a shitload of sambo and judo performances which involve submissions.

Ortega has a Gracie black belt.
Lol.

No. Khabib is not going to be subbed at 155, especially not by a 145-er. I've said this before many times and I'll say it again: Khabib won the world NAGA championship at WW against world level brown and black belts while not being able to use his GnP. He achieved this through sheer positional dominance, his takedowns and sub-defense. Moreover, these types of competitions are plagued by roiders since there's no testing so he was potentially outgrappling BJJ experts who are much stronger than anyone at 155. Khabib's grappling game becomes only better when translated to MMA, since he gets access to GnP and he almost never ends up on the bottom, so he is not getting threatened by his opponent's GnP in turn. It would take someone as strong and skilled as Jacare and/or Maia to potentially sub Khabib, not a bloated 145-er.

I agree 100%

The thread was made in jest tl laugh at those who believed Ortega could really compete with Khabib.

People who think Khabib would easily beat Ortega are missing the point. It's not about who you think would win. It's about matching up his strengths. Khabib could very well beat him up on the ground but Ortega would still have his best chance of winning there since grappling is his strength.

People who think Khabib would easily beat Ortega are missing the point. It's not about who you think would win. It's about matching up his strengths. Khabib could very well beat him up on the ground but Ortega would still have his best chance of winning there since grappling is his strength.
While I think the best way to beat Khabib is to have rock-solid TDD coupled with great striking, Khabib-Ortega would be a great fight if only to demonstrate that no one in the division is going to beat Khabib off their back.

Styles makes fights ... Ortega is still a great style match up vs Khabib. He just needs to actually put on the right mass.

Khabib would smash him. People think it's as simple as, one guy has lots of submissions, other guy fights on ground, submission guy is gonna win. Ortega's BJJ is great, but Khabib leaves very little openings, and is probably the hardest guy to submit in the UFC off of your back. Ortega has never submitted anyone even close to Khabib's caliber on the ground, and Thiago Tavares was controlling him on the ground before Ortega knocked him out. Khabib would maul him.

Same was said about Cain ... then Werdum happened.

Styles makes fights ... its an interesting style match up.
I would love to see it if Ortega puts on the right size for LW.

If I had to pick, i'd go with Ortega only because Khabib is a TD machine. Almost 0 to 5% stand up even with the Conor McNugget right hook drop....Ortega gets taken down and finds the smallest opportunity and snags a sub imo. Than again Khabib could just smesh Ortega for 5 rds. Who knows

If I had to pick, i'd go with Ortega only because Khabib is a TD machine. Almost 0 to 5% stand up even with the Conir right hook drop....Ortega gets taken down and finds the smallest opportunity and snags a sub imo. Than again Khabib could just smesh Ortega for 5 rds. Who knows

"Who knows"? is exactly why I'd like to see it.
I don't think Max's style would beat Khabib because I don't think he could stop the takedowns at all. Khabib's already shown he can take strikers like Johnson, Barboza and Conor down and beat them up. I can't see Max doing much better. Ortega might not either but he's a completely different type of fighter.

I honestly don't see Ortega defeating khabib, however if that did happen, it would probably be one the biggest upsets in mma history, not to say Ortega isn't a great fighter of course. Ortega was not able to take Holloway to the ground so I don't see him being able to take khabib to the ground at all, it would be khabib taking him down, plus khabib is generally the more agressive dude and it wouldn't be a dominant performance from Ortega, I just don't see that happening. If khabib tried to box with Ortega I could slightly see Ortega beating khabib but still uncertain on that one. I don't think Ortega would put in that dominant of a performance at all, I think he'd have find some way to sneak in a submission and idk if Ortega can do that to khabib, a dude who has literally been trained from birth to be this monster grappler. Like I said, if it ends up being a stand-up battle between two grapplers, I could maybe see Ortega coming out on top, maybe. That' my opinion.

Back