Is religion bad? Should we ban them?

Should we ban religion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look at what religion has brought us. I'm not just talking about Muslim, I'm talking about all religions. It stupefies us.

Christians thinking the world is only a few hundred years old and that one parent who rather pray than call 911 got their son killed. All religion has ever done was create wars and divide us. That's why we have the freedom of religion because it was causing too much havoc. But what if we never had religion in the first place? Would this be a better world?

Middle East wouldn't be fighting. Hopefully, Muslims will be more normal. What you guys tihnk? Is Religion evil?

No but it shouldn't have anything to do with political decisions.

No it's unconstitutional to ban religion. It would also be very unpopular among the citizenry.

Historically, trying to ban religions has always led to happy endings and no violence whatsoever.

Strict wall of separation of state and church.

Banning it would not be a good idea.

I wouldn't mind if popular religions would be taken as seriously as astronomy.

There are good features of religion -it creates a social structure and people do form bonds with others they wouldn't otherwise. And religious folks do charity work that might not get done without their belief in their religion.

Religion, at its base, is a way of thinking and feeling about man's relationship to the universe... so it would be pretty hard to ban that. You might as well try to ban consciousness itself.

People really need to evolve and stop believing in Stone Age shit, though.

No to banning it. But as far as politics and laws go, religion shouldn't even be mumbled in the same sentence. I really do wish conservatives would do away with all the crazy religious talk.

society shouldnt be religious. it should be guided by basic human values and freedom and avoid grand narratives as much as fucking possible. grand narratives get people killed and religion has some of the grandest narratives of them all.

that said, religion itself is like the home v the house dynamic. of course people should be free to follow whatever they choose, so long as it doesnt conflict with the social needs of people not to be hostage to someone elses grand narrative.

society being the house in this analogy shouldnt look like a church or a mosque or a temple. what people want to follow in their own homes, is their business. within some basic human rights and laws of course.

religious freedom under law basically. if you dont like the law you are free to leave or petition to change it, but we shouldnt allow that to happen. we shouldnt allow religious law anymore than we should allow fascism.

religion does a lot of good in this world, but its a constricting way to run a pluralistic society.

Banning religion is not consistent with a belief with freedom of conscience.

I am thinking that some on the left in colleges have left formal religions and formed their own religion, Antiracism.

Fighting racism is seen as a sacred act. I am all for equality and exclusiveness. But I am not for fundamentalism.

There is the original sin an urge to proselytize and certain questions are not supposed to be asked or you will be guilty of blasphemy.

Banning religion would completely miss the point of rational progress. Banning religion would just be anther religious commandment, more dogma. Let their stupid ideas die of natural causes.

Since I believe in religious freedom, no; religion should not be banned.

Can't really ban religion as a whole -- it is a thought / ideology and you can't ban thoughts. You would also see a massive decline in charitable giving which would negatively affect many people -- in fact, all people because then we would have to pay more taxes towards downward redistribution and that is something i hate as much islam.

Best bet is to separate religion from politics and to keep conflicting religious populaces separated or to a minimum via immigration rules.

religion has transcendental qualities and will lend power to people who have none. if you aint afraid to die, facing lions, or suicide belts or kamakaze runs, have no fear. perverse as it sounds, this can be a good thing that humanity is blessed with a spiritual dimension. but the perversion of this quality in christians, or muslims or shintos, or whomever can be extremely fucking dangerous. suicide bombs are a good example of this. you have people who are prepared to die for what they believe in, but who are directing this power at scores of random innocent people.

on the flip side you have people like ghandi and mlk. but even people like malcolm x are good examples of someone not afraid to live in the cross hairs, without shooting or bombing people.

religion is a powerful thing. societies shouldnt fuck with people to the point where religious causes are triggered, and people shouldnt pervert or inspire the perversion of the noble side of religion.

the best balance is western society, aside from the racism and the dodgy foreign policies. we also run the risk of enabling some of our more traditional religions to run their course of dodgy traditionalist shite, where social intervention is better.

if you cant mix with other faiths without playing nice, you have no place in an enlightened western society. and than includes if you are white and christian. id shove the fucking lot of them (bigots) into the sea, but maybe find a bigots island and let them fucking kill each other.

I really wish it were so easy. I really do.

Why? What do you think you would get out of it? Most people in atheist societies seemed to have had a very bad time.

Strict wall of separation of state and church.

In the west there is already a separation of church and state. please tell me you are not american...be canadian or metric

if you cant mix with other faiths without playing nice, you have no place in an enlightened western society. and than includes if you are white and christian. id shove the fucking lot of them (bigots) into the sea, but maybe find a bigots island and let them fucking kill each other.
You made your first point without bringing race into, but you had to come back lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back