Is riding your bike on the sidewalk bad manners?

Depends on where are you riding. I avoid riding on pavements, especially busy ones. However, it is nigh impossible to ride on bike lanes in Moscow since there are few of them and where they do exist fucking pedestrians dont respect them at all and walk with their damn dogs, strollers and kids there. So it is either the road if you are skilled or pavement if you are not.

i went for a ride today through a neighborhood, pretty wealthy, and a lady talking to another lady in her yard seemed to give the the eye because I was riding on the side walk

is it bad form?
You don't know her story. It could be that the neighborhood has been beset by porch pirates cruising the sidewalks on bikes, scouting for packages. I've been shouted at to get off the road and onto the sidewalk by motorists who thought they knew better. In my city, it's actually legal to ride on the sidewalk with wheel diameter 50 cm or less, but I reckon few know the law. Personally, I try to ride where/when there are few people about, and I try not to be a Karen about people not committing themselves to following all the rules.

Yes.

Bicycle or motorcycle? The latter is illegal. And one should be jail for such behaviour.

It's possible to cycle at a pedestrian pace on the pavement, which would actually take up a smaller footprint than pushing the bicycle.

Nicer neighborhoods don’t have sidewalks..

Being in a bicycle culture, everyone has a bike here. I remember when they made it illegal here to drive on the pavewalks, in the ninetees. And I would ride on them all the time as a kid, so I was somewhat concerned. But it turned out to be nothing drastic and I still ride on them on occasion if it's the most practical option.

Maybe they thought you were low class, hence the sneering

Go at a walking pace if you’re near pedestrians.

Where do you live, Neverland?

Close, The Netherlands

cu3cyifyuy011.png

Back