Is Stipe retired now?

PlasticFishBowl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There was talk of him vs. Jones in July, and then in Sept. and then in Dec.

It now doesn’t seem like that is happening as Dana has said they want to make Francis/Jones for early 2023.

So, does that basically mark the end of Stipe’s career? He can probably still beat some ranked HWs, but there is no chance he could ever get the belt back. He’s well past his physical prime and has been incredibly inactive and doesn’t even seem to have been training full time for the last year.

What do y’all think? Have we seen the last of Stiopic?

It now doesn’t seem like that is happening as Dana has said they want to make Francis/Jones for early 2023.

So, does that basically mark the end of Stipe’s career? He can probably still beat some ranked HWs, but there is no chance he could ever get the belt back. He’s well past his physical prime and has been incredibly inactive and doesn’t even seem to have been training full time for the last year.

At this point I don't even care anymore.

Not officially, but if this Jones fight doesn’t happen before the end of the year. He may as well retire. That’s the only fight for Stipe that still interests me. It’s just really hard to be excited about him considering his activity the last 4 years or whatever. One fight a year just doesn’t cut it.

Assuming he comes back (I think he has 1 fight left in him), it'll be interesting to see how he stacks up against today's heavies. His last loss was devastating and almost a year ago. Aside from that, he hasn't fought anybody not named Cormier in 4 years, and those were tough, competitive fights. I have no idea if he can even still compete with anyone in the top 5, let alone challenge for a belt again.

Not officially, but if this Jones fight doesn’t happen before the end of the year. He may as well retire. That’s the only fight for Stipe that still interests me. It’s just really hard to be excited about him considering his activity the last 4 years or whatever. One fight a year just doesn’t cut it.
One fight a year is generous

The only thing that really makes sense for him career-wise, are booking 1-2 more big money fights before hanging them up for good. If Jones ain't happening, there's really nowhere left to go unless they can drag Brock or Cain out of retirement.

I’ve seen people ask him about fighting in the UFC when he streams on Twitch and he just ignores the question. I’ve asked him and so have several other people and he just straight up ignores us. He seems like he isn’t interested in fighting at all. Plus he has a ton of money, his house is worth more than 1,000,000 and he said he’s already paid it off. He’s definitely not into fighting any longer

Man at this point I just ignore any news on the HW division. Its a constant up and down. Once I see two HW's in there fighting for a title or a number one contender spot I'll get excited. Stipe, Francis, Jones, etc...

From what we know just looking at Jon's past, if anything he's the one who's hold up.

Last edited:
I wish Stipe would retire just for the fact that Jon would have to fight someone else and not an old man past his prime.

Last edited:
Stipe vs Gane is decent
I like that idea, but I prefer Jones. Unfortunately UFC wants Jones vs. Ngannou and probably Gane is fighting Stipe next, with UFC using the latter as a ladder. But Jones would be more fair for both guys, once he never fought at HW before and Stipe is almost retiring and also ring rusted. It is known that UFC doesn't like both guys and is putting the best fighters against them, trying to bury them once and for all.

I don't think Stipe is officially retired, but he's probably asking for money/opportunities from the UFC that they just aren't willing to give. I like Stipe as a person; he seems like a genuine, down to Earth guy. As a fighter, he's been acting like a diva for the several years.

I imagine Stipe will come back to fight once more before he retires. I doubt it'll be against Jones.

Jones is the only fight that makes sense for him. He’s too comfortable in life to be making his way up the rankings again and he shouldn’t fight anybody with power after the shots he took in the last Ngannou fight.

That fight was especially tough to watch without fans, you could hear the impact of all those punches.

The last that I know, he said that he was opening up a gym in Vegas, spending time with his family and new child and working full time for the FD. Would like to fight again "at some point". Pretty much sounds like retirement to me and that leaves Jon Jones in a pickle. It was his only high-profile winnable fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back