Is The Edge a great guitarist?

Is The Edge a great guitarist?

• Yes of course

• No way

Results are only viewable after voting.
He has a style and sound that is all his own. I'd say yes and put him in the same category as Tom Morello.

Im not a fan of u2, but hes made buttloads of money and a name for himself playing guitar.

Its all subjective anyway. But hes got his own sound.

He obviously did something right

A very distinct sound. Even though he is not the greatest technically he does have a style that immediately tells you it is the Edge and U2.

He's written some very popular songs and has been successful playing the guitar.

I won't take that away from him. I've never heard him play anything that impressed me, so I honestly can't say.

When I think of a "Good/Great Guitarist" I don't just think about the songs they created(that has more to do with being a good song writer, which he is), but their technical command of the instrument, their influence, their originality, their versatility etc etc... there're alot of unknowns there with him for me.

Imo, what I've heard of his paying, no. Great songwriter, sure, never been a fan of his music. But he's made a pretty good career out of something I love to do, which I would never be capable of.

Reminds me of Keith Richards. I don't particularly like either of them, but they've crafted their own sound that people like to copy, which is impressive.

He has his own sound and that’s pretty cool, probably the richest guitarist alive, he is doing good

I never really listened to enough u2 to have an opinion on Edge

So i checked out this video

Im gonna have to retract my initial statement. No. He is not a great guitarist.

I assumed he was better than that. This is a compilation of his best solos too.

I could play circles around that right out of high school

Solo at 2:50 or so

Its not all about playing fast.. Hes just not smooth. I consider Gilmour to be one of the all time greats and his speed was non existant.

But hey, right place right time.

Ive always been baffled as to why U2 was so big. They fuckin suck

Last edited:
Honestly for all the bland stadium rock that's done massive business down the years U2's success is something I have little problem with, up to and including Pop anyway, at least they tended to have somewhat of an interesting sound to them.

A lot of his sound is obviously down to the use of FX but if it works why not? someone like Nick McCabe of the Verve crushes some wanky 1000 lines a min nobody for me.

Incidentally Gilmour can be quite fast/brutal when he wants to be....

Honestly for all the bland stadium rock that's done massive business down the years U2's success is something I have little problem with, up to and including Pop anyway, at least they tended to have somewhat of an interesting sound to them.

A lot of his sound is obviously down to the use of FX but if it works why not? someone like Nick McCabe of the Verve crushes some wanky 1000 lines a min nobody for me.

Incidentally Gilmour can be quite fast/brutal when he wants to be....

His speed isnt impressive for a guitarist. Doesnt matter though. Hes the shit

Hes not stuck in the mud or anything. But guys from his era like Page, Young, they got quite a bit of speed on him.

Doesnt make a difference. Gilmour is as good as it gets imo

And then cocaine came to town in the 80s lol

One does not need to be a technical master to be a great guitarist, you just need to know how to create the right feeling and be a good writer.

Back