Is the IBO belt slowly becoming another “major” belt?

by year 2032, we will have 7 major world champions bodies, 5 minor world champion bodies, and 20 weight classes.

For those who think I'm exagerating, WBC has introduced a new 18th weight class as we all know. The Bridger weight.

the WBO fought hard to get some legit fighters to fight for the belts without any others orgs being involved, i know the WBO titles started to gain recognition in some divisions back in the 90's, like any other title, it all depends on the holder and how they are considered, i think MAB had a lot to do with the WBO becoming one of the big titles to own, but i dont recall the last big fight that was for only a WBO title
The IBO title has been around for as long as the WBO title has. It took 19 years for the latter to be recognized by the three major sanctioning bodies. It's been over 30 years now and the IBO world title is still unrecognized. So no, I don't think it'll become the next major title anytime soon. In saying that, if/when another major world title is recognized by the 4 major sanctioning bodies then it's likely to be the IBO.

Glad you noted that IBO and WBO were founded the same year.

The only reason why WBO is considered official and IBO isn't is because WBO got in bed with Bob Arum who in turn was in bed with Sky Sports.

In 2006, Sky Sports literally said they recognize WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO and no other belts. (Source: https://www.eurosport.com/boxing/british-news/2005/sky-sports-snub-sees-t._sto851085/story.shtml )

IBO never deserved to be lumped in with the other C and D rate "world" belts.

The fans – the same fans who shit on multiple belts – are happy to be spoonfed by Arum and Sky, or recognize the WBA even when they ruined their own credibility with 3 belts in each division.

When Lennox Lewis became undisputed HW champ, he held the IBO belts along with the WBA, WBC, IBF. He did not hold the WBO belt. The IBO should have theoretically become a major belt right then, but politics kept them out.

Last edited:
I need an excel sheet to keep track of these paperweight belts now

https://boxrec.com/en/champions

Doesn't include the WBA regular world and gold belts though.

The problem seems to me that the IBO often puts their belt on the shoulders of divisional top dogs, but unlike the WBO, they don't have IBO champions independently establishing credibility on par or above the other belt holders, which is basically how the WBO gained it's legitimacy.

That's what the IBF originally did to gain recognition. The IBO never did that.

I've seen many people act like the IBO just throws belts around like its free. It's not.

The physical belt alone costs $1,500 for the world title, and $1,250 for most regional belts.

There's a 3% fee on purse, which becomes 2% if its a unification. From both fighters of a bout. There's also a yearly promoter registration fee (a few thousand dollars), so that your fighters are eligible to fight for a belt in the first place.

IBO-sanctioned referees, judges, commissioner each need to be paid. You're looking at a minimum 5k for a regional title, or minimum 10k for a world title.

It's the same with all of the Big Five orgs, the IBO is cheaper in some regards.

Last edited:
Glad you noted that IBO and WBO were founded the same year.

The only reason why WBO is considered official and IBO isn't is because WBO got in bed with Bob Arum who in turn was in bed with Sky Sports.

In 2006, Sky Sports literally said they recognize WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO and no other belts. (Source: https://www.eurosport.com/boxing/british-news/2005/sky-sports-snub-sees-t._sto851085/story.shtml )

IBO never deserved to be lumped in with the other C and D rate "world" belts.

The fans – the same fans who shit on multiple belts – are happy to be spoonfed by Arum and SKY, or recognize the WBA even when they ruined their own credibility with 3 belts in each division, but they can't stop shit talking the IBO, the only belt that actually maintains its own integrity.

When Lennox Lewis became unified HW champ, he held the IBO belts along with the WBA, WBC, IBF. He did not hold the WBO belt. The IBO should have theoretically become a major belt right then, but politics kept them out.

Its interesting, but i know on the UK back in the early 90's the WBO belt kind of became a thing as the likes of Eubank, Benn and Hamed were fighting for them, as well at world level Barrera being a champion who held a title also, when some of these fighters started to be considered the best at weight, the belt started to gain traction and recognition in some divisions, but not all(i remember Ray Merver winning both the IBO and WBO titles and giving them up as back in the 90s they just didnt hold any weight at all)

I also think its worth mentioning, that when Lewis beat Holyfield, he won the vacant IBO title, not exactly the credentials of an org that has earned its stripes with legit champions defending belts

Its interesting, but i know on the UK back in the early 90's the WBO belt kind of became a thing as the likes of Eubank, Benn and Hamed were fighting for them, as well at world level Barrera being a champion who held a title also, when some of these fighters started to be considered the best at weight, the belt started to gain traction and recognition in some divisions, but not all(i remember Ray Merver winning both the IBO and WBO titles and giving them up as back in the 90s they just didnt hold any weight at all)

I also think its worth mentioning, that when Lewis beat Holyfield, he won the vacant IBO title, not exactly the credentials of an org that has earned its stripes with legit champions defending belts

I think most of them were under Bob Arum, or many were.

If the IBO can link up with a major US or UK promoter in a similar manner. It would help them tremendously.

They have GGG and Joshua though. They seem to love the IBO belt. I think Joshua realizes that Lennox Lewis held the IBO when he was undisputed champ.

The fact that the WBC HW title has been the one evading the unified champ from the main Klitschko brother days to the Joshua days seems to be a wrench in the wheel.

I think most of them were under Bob Arum, or many were.

If the IBO can link up with a major US or UK promoter in a similar manner. It would help them tremendously.

They have GGG and Joshua though. They seem to love the IBO belt. I think Joshua realizes that Lennox Lewis held the IBO when he was undisputed champ.

The fact that the WBC HW title has been the one evading the unified champ from the main Klitschko brother days to the Joshua days seems to be a wrench in the wheel.

I would like to point the fnger at the WBC as they seem to be the most corrupt org, but with every org now having about 6 belts in each division, they are all as bad as each other these days.

I would like to point the fnger at the WBC as they seem to be the most corrupt org, but with every org now having about 6 belts in each division, they are all as bad as each other these days.

Besides the IBO, all of them are corrupt in different ways. IBF and WBO don't do drug testing, but aside from that are pretty steady. The WBO has created a "Global" belt but it seems to be regional tier, completely pointless.

WBA and WBC do drug testing supposedly, but the way they run their org is very corrupt.

I hate how every time there's a superfight, the WBC inserts itself into it by offering a fake commemorative belt. Even during the weigh-in and presser photoshots, Suleiman or someone will stand up with their belt trying to hog as much cameratime as possible. It's cringey and desperate.

And WBC favors Mexican fighters and Don King fighters. Take for example Amir Imam, that guy didn't deserve any titleshots but because he was Don King's guy the WBC gave it to him. And a Mexican guy can cheat and the WBC will do everything possible to benefit their side.

WBA is a similar story but their 3 belts per division is annoying and has killed the credibility of the sport.

The solution to this is very simple. The national governing bodies for boxing can selectively choose what titles they recognize. Japan's JBC, for example, for many years didn't even recognize the IBF and WBO until 2013. They still don't sanction most of their regional level belts with the exception of a few (e.g. WBO Asia-Pacific title).

If the EBU did something similar then majority of the countries in Europe wouldn't sanction these garbage redundant titles. The EBU includes most of the continent's legal governing bodies as members. Unfortunately, the EBU is affiliated with the WBC and WBA so they won't.

I like regional belts, but now there's two to three belts ascribed to the same geographic jurisdiction per governing body from the Big Four/Big Five!

Last edited:
Back