is the UFC hoping max protects conor from Tony?

Druken_Vovchanchyn

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Think about it? Max is a pretty bad mother fucker. He matches up with tony 10x better than conor does. If he can win they THINK he can beat max again but im pretty sure 2019 max tko's conor pretty easily via pace. Im 100% sold on this theory but i think its something to think about. what do you guys think?

You may be onto something OP

its one thing to sell to the a loss to his rival to casuals. Its another thing entirely to come back and lose to multiple top contenders. I think that him losing to a different person so soon would be crushing to his momentum. I dont think conor is afarid of anyone. The UFC though, they really need his star power at the moment, even more now with khabib sitting.

Conspiracies everywhere!!!!!

Think about it? Max is a pretty bad mother fucker. He matches up with tony 10x better than conor does. If he can win they THINK he can beat max again but im pretty sure 2019 max tko's conor pretty easily via pace. Im 100% sold on this theory but i think its something to think about. what do you guys think?
<[analyzed}>

It's going to be ashame if we don't get to see Ferg v Kabib some day. The pre-fight trash talk would be epic and kabibs crew would def try to jump Tony before, after, or during the fight.

It's going to be ashame if we don't get to see Ferg v Kabib some day. The pre-fight trash talk would be epic and kabibs crew would def try to jump Tony before, after, or during the fight.

that would go down as the biggest non fight in the same division at the same time in ufc history right?

I agree that current Max is better than current Conor. Maybe better than any version of Conor, not sure. But, I disagree that Max definitely matches up better with Tony. He might, but I'm not sure.

I think to beat Tony you have to capitalize on an early mistake and put him away. He's been stung a couple times (Lando and Pettis) early but he recovered almost instantly both times and went on to quickly take over and finish both shortly thereafter. While Max would almost surely land on Tony, he doesn't have big one-shot power. Max would need to beat Tony in the kind of fight that Tony also thrives on. I don't think anyone, Max included, can win a fight with Tony using pace, attrition, and volume. Conor has more power than Max, so there's at least a chance he could do enough damage to really get Tony in trouble early. I tend to think he wouldn't be able to as his power only partially translates up to 155, but he at least has a chance.

that would go down as the biggest non fight in the same division at the same time in ufc history right?
It would be a huge loss for the fans. And I think Max has what it takes to derail Ferg, so you're theory is probably on the right track. Max is a bad mofo but the UFC probably gives Conor a better chance against him than Ferg.

They need to protect him from both, because either one would whoop his ass right now.

Yes.

They want Tony out of the picture.

One guy who can kick Conor's ass is bad enough for them (Khabib), but at least they view Khabib as marketable.

They don't want Tony anywhere near the title, but tbh I think Max would beat Tony and Tony will duck him.

It's a whole big cycle of ducking. Nobody wants to fight the tough matchup that is lesser profile. Everyone wants either a money fight or a title fight.

Tony won't fight Max. Khabib won't fight Tony ( unless it's for a title, which it isn't anymore). Conor won't fight anyone in the top 5.

Last edited:
Is there any legit source for that fight? I keep hearing rumors / seeing threads

I personally think Conor fairs better against Tony than Max right now.

Whoever wins is likely to take have taken some a lot of damage though. Which increases Conors chances.

I agree that current Max is better than current Conor. Maybe better than any version of Conor, not sure. But, I disagree that Max definitely matches up better with Tony. He might, but I'm not sure.

I think to beat Tony you have to capitalize on an early mistake and put him away. He's been stung a couple times (Lando and Pettis) early but he recovered almost instantly both times and went on to quickly take over and finish both shortly thereafter. While Max would almost surely land on Tony, he doesn't have big one-shot power. Max would need to beat Tony in the kind of fight that Tony also thrives on. I don't think anyone, Max included, can win a fight with Tony using pace, attrition, and volume. Conor has more power than Max, so there's at least a chance he could do enough damage to really get Tony in trouble early. I tend to think he wouldn't be able to as his power only partially translates up to 155, but he at least has a chance.
i feel like people will overlook the fact that tony brings a more diverse attack on the feet than max does, if they were to fight. sure, max has the cardio and chin to go to war with tony and will for sure land blow after blow and sting tony with peppering shots all fight, but tony also brings a kicking game and will throw some unorthodox attacks as well.

You know that Tony is probably an easier fight for Conor than Max is, right? I don't think the UFC are protecting Conor from anyone at this point. If Conor showed any interest in Ferguson, they'd try booking it tomorrow.

You know that Tony is probably an easier fight for Conor than Max is, right? I don't think the UFC are protecting Conor from anyone at this point. If Conor showed any interest in Ferguson, they'd try booking it tomorrow.
Conor is protecting himself from Tony by staying out of his way and keeping his name out of his mouth.

Conor is shook.

i feel like people will overlook the fact that tony brings a more diverse attack on the feet than max does, if they were to fight. sure, max has the cardio and chin to go to war with tony and will for sure land blow after blow and sting tony with peppering shots all fight, but tony also brings a kicking game and will throw some unorthodox attacks as well.

Ha I said that same exact thing in another thread tonight. Tony mixes in elbows, knees, the whole arsenal of strikes. Max is a super slick boxer but doesn't mix in other strikes too often.

Tony also would have a massive reach advantage on Max.

giphy.gif

Yes, everything is a conspiracy.. the only question is which conspiracy theorist is right..

Will they protect him from cowboy, khabib, tony, max, ragin' al, dustin, aldo or someone else.. he obviously loses to all of them from what i read on here..

They want Max to get rid of Tony and have Conor there cherry picker beat Cowboy for the interim belt.

Back