Is the UFC punishing Michel Pereira?

He beat #14 Ponzi and became #14 himself. Then he was booked to fight #9 Brady, who got injured, then was booked against #7 Wonderboy.

It was at this time, unfortunately, that Michel's win streak was interrupted when he lost against the scale.

As #14 at WW, he had to take an appropriate step back when moving up to MW. He was booked to fight ~#24 Marc-Andre and Petroski was a late fill in. Michal O was bordering the rankings too, early 20's at the worst. Some people have brought up that Muradov was the originally pitched opponent, but even he was still kind of a step back from Michal O, Marc-Andre, AND Petroski. I'm gonna assume he was offered and took a lower ranked guy because they were trying to just get him on the Brasil card.

But now he should be fighting someone who is either ranked or still guarantee a rank if he wins

Edit* frankly, you could easily put him above Curtis right now and I don't think that'd be a problem

Michel pereira is a scary dude.
Fighting a dangerous unranked guy, in home soil, 5 days notice and paying 27% fee to the local government is really discouraging.

I don't think is UFC punishing him, but probably no one accept that figth.

I don't see it as punishment. I see it as building him up slowly. Dude is kind of a loose cannon. Doesn't speak English. I think he'll start to get tougher competition either later this year or early next year. But the lower tier fights aren't necessarily a punishment. I think they're just bringing hip up slowly as he gets a bit more refined for the public. I also suspect they might be reviewing the legality of his back flip guard passes and having a talk with him about it.

That was a late replacement fight.

His win over ponzi is a different weight class, one he is rightfully barred from. his scheduled opponent was a step up from petroski, but couldn't show up.
I'm not sure I quite agree -- Makhmud Muradov is someone I considered a stop down. Remember, when Pereira defeated Petroski, Petroski was undefeated. Muradov, meanwhile, has lost 2 of his last 3 with his lone win coming off of Bryan Barberena. I viewed Potieria to be a tougher test honestly.

I mean, Michel himself isn't complaining... they even asked who he wants to fight next and he said anyone. Watching interviews I get the impression he's all about putting on a show and doesn't care about rankings.

I mean, Michel himself isn't complaining... they even asked who he wants to fight next and he said anyone. Watching interviews I get the impression he's all about putting on a show and doesn't care about rankings.
He obviously cares about winning. He changed his entire style up. He used to just spam finishing moves.

It don't matter who the fighter is, as the UFC will always push the approach that makes them the most money, while fucking over the contractor as much as possible. They gotta extract every last penny from them that they can.

Is he ready to approach a gate guarded by Jack Hermanson?

Hermanson is a different beast, isn't he? I would keep Pereira as this action guy that has entertaining fights but that's pretty much it.

This is like asking if they are punishing Bo Nickal by feeding him scraps to stuff up his record. I personally think they are trying to market him more before slingshotting him into important matches.
It's not like that at all lol. He's been fighting forever and have done fuck all with him. And he's not young either. Something weird is definitely going on.

He's on an 8 fight win streak and still hasn't gotten a ranked opponent. He has wins over Ponzi and Petroski. He just fought a can in Brazil. What is going on?
Ponzi is a WW has little meaning in the MW division. Petroski isn't ranked by the UFC and Fight Matrix has him at #66 in the world. So where does that mean Michel should be? He is exciting because he is facing low level fighters. Look at Khamzat and his ability to SMESH Er'ry body. That ended when he got near anyone ranked and he still has only fought WWs and he is still only ranked at 11. Not sure who Michel should fight next but if he gets into the top 10 I suspect he will have a harder time and his recklessness will either end or came back to bite him.

He's on a 3 fight win streak at MW, was 2 before Saturday. Caio just finally got a ranked MW fight and he was on a 5 fight streak.

Ponzi is a WW has little meaning in the MW division. Petroski isn't ranked by the UFC and Fight Matrix has him at #66 in the world. So where does that mean Michel should be? He is exciting because he is facing low level fighters. Look at Khamzat and his ability to SMESH Er'ry body. That ended when he got near anyone ranked and he still has only fought WWs and he is still only ranked at 11. Not sure who Michel should fight next but if he gets into the top 10 I suspect he will have a harder time and his recklessness will either end or came back to bite him.
The point is he hasn't gotten a top 10 fight. Khamzat got to fight Burns 2 years ago.

He changed weight classes so his previous wins aren't that relevant anymore.

harles got like 8 unranked opponents to practice on before getting amazingly good and telepprting into championship. Or maybe he wants safe wins aka easier fights. Less injury, win bonus.

I’ve been waiting on a Caio to fight a ranked MW for a long time. He’s passed the eye test for years now imo. Michel I like a lot and feel he’s ready for a Hermanson level fight but he’s behind the fighting nerd imo (only because one is more proven at MW).

Who knows, the UFC can give anyone a title shot at any time. Look at Sean O'Malley. He mostly fought a bunch of cans, then they give him Yan and a title shot based almost entirely off that fight. They were doing O'Malley a solid, not punishing him.

Does Perreira need five good ranked wins to get a title shot? Or does the UFC think he's a marketable Brazilian and they are trying to preserve his winning streak to set him up for a title shot with only 1 or 2 good wins?

Nobody knows except Dana. I wouldn't be shocked, if the title picture is boring, if they gave Perreira a title shot with one win over someone like Whittaker/Costa/Strickland/Vettori. Or maybe one of those and a name guy that isn't actually good anymore (Weidman)?

The UFC isn't actually a sport like, say, tennis. A lot comes down to who they matchmake to make their path easier. You don't NEED 5 top wins unless you are a boring/non marketable guy i.e. Jon Fitch or Belal.

No clue how they view Perreira.

The point is he hasn't gotten a top 10 fight. Khamzat got to fight Burns 2 years ago.
Khamzat was 10-0. Pereira has more losses then Khamzat had fights. He is a .700 fighter 44 fights in to his career. He is a guy that is right where he is supposed to be IMO. Once he gets to the top 10 his fights will not be what they are now. He is much better off being exciting in non top level fights. Look at Mike Perry, he is a Big Fish in a little pond and in the UFC he was just a fish.

Dude, check again, he is getting paid in full each time he wins...add 2 POTN bonus in his last 2 fights, i didnt check further...Does this sounds like punishment to you??

Last edited:
Back