Is there a back control escape “system”?

peidro223

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Similar to how Marcelo teaches his side control escape system? Basically you have your go-to, then a counter to the basic counter of your go-to, then a plan C..... etc.
been scouring YouTube but can’t find anything other than one-off escapes not interconnected at all.

I don't think I've seen a full "system" for it. But most escapes focus on getting your head and shoulders to the floor and sort of shoulder-walking away. If you can get a 2-on-1 grip on one of their arms and pass it to one side of your head you can escape yourself into their closed guard, top half, or sometimes even brabo choke them as you escape. The closest thing I've seen to a system is making sure to always force them on the side where their body triangle is locked against the floor while getting at least one C-grip facing down on their top arm. That kills some of their ability to adjust the body triangle and it helps pin their hips to that side so that when you start getting your head and shoulders to the floor, they can't adjust or bring you to the other side as easily. The C-grip facing down on the top arm is better at stopping the choke than reaching up from underneath with 1 or even 2 "chin-up" grips.

I think part of the reason we haven't seen a very detailed back escape system is that there are many different styles and hot takes on back control. So there's not a unified way of controlling the back although we're closer to that point now than ever before. So until recently there's been a lot more variety in whether people use hooks, ankles crossed behind the hip, or body triangles, as well as whether they fall to the top-arm or bottom-arm side.

The most common back control at this point is body triangle with the lock facing upwards while falling to the under-arm side. That's probably the best starting point to start to think about a back escape system.

How common is the back triangle under ibjjf rules. Seems like it's a heavy favorite in ebi.

If there is a system, it must include this very important feature :

How common is the back triangle under ibjjf rules. Seems like it's a heavy favorite in ebi.

Very. People just put the hooks in for 3 seconds first to get points. The rules are silly.

It's common. A lot of guys throw hooks for the points and switch to body triangle once they get points.

If we're talking hooks with back control (as opposed to body triangle) then there's two basic ways to escape and everything is a variation of one of those.

1) Bridge back into them, get your head and shoulders to the mat while peeling off the bottom hook, get your ass over that bottom leg and shimmy towards their head.
2) Shimmy down towards their feet, peel off the top hook, hip heist that top leg over, and go belly down on top of the remaining leg.

Where can I see the Marcelo side control escape system?

Where can I see the Marcelo side control escape system?
Enjoy.Here's an instructional of each as well as a highlight of each being used in action.

Sit up:

Elbow push:

Hip roll:

Similar to how Marcelo teaches his side control escape system? Basically you have your go-to, then a counter to the basic counter of your go-to, then a plan C..... etc.
been scouring YouTube but can’t find anything other than one-off escapes not interconnected at all.

Karel Pravec provides his entire back escape system in this video. Very high level stuff.

Deals with basic hooks, single hook controls, body triangle... pretty much everything.

Saulo's Escape?

I have no idea, I'm terrible with names of stuff. My point was just that it's the hooks holding you in, and you either clear the bottom one and slide over it or clear the top one and hip heist over the bottom one.

I have no idea, I'm terrible with names of stuff. My point was just that it's the hooks holding you in, and you either clear the bottom one and slide over it or clear the top one and hip heist over the bottom one.
I'm pretty sure that is the Saulo one I learned (from is book) years ago.

Back