Is there a food desert in your town?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I been hearing how in some places that supermarkets are packing up and leaving neighborhoods due to either a lack of profit, higher rent cost or criminal factions roaming around the neighborhood. Problem is that, this is causing serious health issues for the people in the area who have no access to healthy produce and are stuck with gas station foods or just fast foods which is extremely unhealthy.

It seems like I am hearing more and more about food deserts more.

I've definitely seen them. My girlfriend lives in the country and there's one true grocery store. If that ever closes, everyone in the town has to drive at least a half hour to the nearest grocery store.

Not that i know off. There is probably more surveillance at the poorer parts of town supermarkets. Sucks for the people affected if true.

No, I'm not poor, and I don't shop in the poor parts of town.

I been hearing that it happens in San Francisco and Portland. Now other states are experiencing it. I am in BC and I guess we are close to Seattle. We have few people who moved in and mentioned that some places in Portland are closing down.

You must live in a shit place.

Better than having a shit soul.

I've definitely seen them. My girlfriend lives in the country and there's one true grocery store. If that ever closes, everyone in the town has to drive at least a half hour to the nearest grocery store.

We have Persia market which has amazing food, great quality and very good prices. I am usually in North-shore and there are tons of grocery stores from IGA to Save on, to Loblaws and safeway. But Persia market has really high quality stuff.

Not that i know off. There is probably more surveillance at the poorer parts of town supermarkets. Sucks for the people affected if true.

We have lots of No frills in downtown. There is theft and all but for most parts, people are decent enough and pay for their shopping. No frills is extremely popular because its a discount supermarket. Decent stuff as well.

We used to call those areas dangerous shitholes. Now we call them food deserts so the negative connotation falls on the business, not the criminals.

Just another example the liberal perversion of the English language. Similarly it used to be illegal immigrant. Then they worked their ass off to call them undocumented. Now we just call the entire horde migrants. They do it because it works.

If you live in a rural country area , and you aren’t producing your own vegetables at the very least you’re doing it wrong. Should at least be growing your own veggies, and chickens/ eggs.

Used to have drive at least 45 min to next biggest town to grocery shop. Then our small town finally got a Weis Grocery Store-makes life easier and if it would close it would suck.

We used to call those areas dangerous shitholes. Now we call them food deserts so the negative connotation falls on the business, not the criminals.

Just another example the liberal perversion of the English language. Similarly it used to be illegal immigrant. Then they worked their ass off to call them undocumented. Now we just call the entire horde migrants. They do it because it works.
Food deserts don't just affect high crime areas, but sure, you can frame it that way to stand on whatever social soapbox you want to.

If you live in a rural country area , and you aren’t producing your own vegetables at the very least you’re doing it wrong. Should at least be growing your own veggies, and chickens/ eggs.
Just depends, man. If you're young and spry, sure, but there are a lot of the elderly that live on fixed incomes and don't have the physical ability to keep a garden or even small livestock.

Not by me, but in the city, and Northeast cities around me, Pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens are closing in Black neighborhoods. They can't stop the theft from in these areas, and they also can't get employees to work in these stores because they don't feel safe.

There is a news story of a Walgrrens closing in Roxbury, MA. The store was robbed so many times they decided to close it. The black locals are protesting and saying it's coporate greed and because of past racism, they should lower their bottom lines and take losses to help the black community. I do feel bad for the elderly, but it is their youth that ruined it for them.

My opinion is that maybe there could do a mobile Walgreens truck pahrmacy....Medications, diapers, formula, OTC meds....then people can walk up and get the necessities without the threats of danger or theft. Help the elderly. As for the shopping, you can't ask a store to lose because you can't control your population. As a community you need to start raising your kids right ot stop the shoplifters when YOU see them.

We have lots of No frills in downtown. There is theft and all but for most parts, people are decent enough and pay for their shopping. No frills is extremely popular because its a discount supermarket. Decent stuff as well.
I know more than a few people who steal since self checkouts got introduced. Its really weird the kind of excuses you hear. Oh they want me to scan my own items which means i need to steal for sure because something about capitalism. They all end up getting caught sometime which has to be embarrassing. I never heard of a store moving out due to crime though im not even sure but at most i would imagine they got more cameras or a security guard or lock up certain items.

Just depends, man. If you're young and spry, sure, but there are a lot of the elderly that live on fixed incomes and don't have the physical ability to keep a garden or even small livestock.
In villages all over the mediteranean and in Islands of Japan...even the extreme elderly work in their small gardens every day. The fresh ingredients and physical labor, keep them alive into the 100s in large numbers. There is a netflix documentary on it. No matter your age poor people will always have a harder time with nutrition. A lot of it is lack of education on nutrition. Plenty of healthy food that is cheap...just doesn't taste as good. Bannanas, Carrots, Zucchini, Apples, Oatmeal, Onions, Potatoes, Broccoli, Rice, Legumes....all cheaper than a bag of chips or a 12 pack of soda.

I know more than a few people who steal since self checkouts got introduced. Its really weird the kind of excuses you hear. Oh they want me to scan my own items which means i need to steal for sure because something about capitalism. They all end up getting caught sometime which has to be embarrassing. I never heard of a store moving out due to crime though im not even sure but at most i would imagine they got more cameras or a security guard or lock up certain items.
By me, the Walmart removed the scales at self check out. People are stealing up a storm. What they don't realize is there is video. When people get flagged they wait until they get to a certain amount of so many visits, then they call the cops. That is why there are cop cars always outside.

The war against hunger is truly mankind’s war of liberation.
— John F. Kennedy
Your problems pale in comparison with those of the millions of people in the world who do not have enough to eat.
— Michael Johnson (not the fighter I don't think)

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.” ― Dom Helder Camara,

By me, the Walmart removed the scales at self check out. People are stealing up a storm. What they don't realize is there is video. When people get flagged they wait until they get to a certain amount of so many visits, then they call the cops. That is why there are cop cars always outside.
Yeah you might be able to steal something once in a while but the more you do it there is no chance not getting caught. Some people never grow up.

Not quite but i've seen a short of a few items, just enough to notice that somethings going on.

I've started planting stuff at my own place, i like the idea of being at least a little bit self reliant and growing your own food.

I witnessed two robberies at London Drugs and one in safeway. In all cases, the lady cashier yelled at the guy but messaged the manager about theft in a very nonchalant way like this stuff happens all the time.

For liability reason, its not fair to have the worker chase after the thieves. In one instant, there was this guy he was very short short bald guy who got caught stealing. Security held him down, he went from angry to crying when cops came.

I kind of felt bad for him. Maybe because of the way he looked, he was really short, was not old but looked like an old man and just mannerism was of someone who has been kicked around by life.

As far as the self check out goes. The other day, this dude was waiting in line and had a can of soda or energy drink. He looked at his phone, pretending to text and acting like it was urgent and just like that, he walked out of the place with the unpaid item. The thing is though, he looked presentable but he looked around to make sure the coast was clear. People behind him remarked about him knowing what he was doing that and had he been caught, he could have chalked it up to an honest mistake of getting an urgent call since he was already in line.

Back