Is there a name for this excercise?

Time4SumAksion

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When you see boxers shadow boxing on the spot, but throwing a continuous loop of uppercut/hook type punches in what looks to be training mainly the transfer of weight in the legs?

Like what you've probably seen Floyd doing here with weights:
26542A0300000578-0-image-a-58_1425518954522.jpg

I was training the other night and I tried throwing successive hard left/right/left/right hooks (elbows up) and really "torqueing" the body with each shot, seems like a great exercise to build up this torque type power (basically like a body weight cable twist using proper punching form) and also the endurance needed to constantly throw your hips into power shots throughout the fight.

Pretty much you already named it Shadow boxing for inside work. It does build the core.

Pretty much you already named it Shadow boxing for inside work. It does build the core.
Thanks barnowl.

It seems like a great way to develop your rhythm too in terms of keeping your hips in sync with your hands. For a relative beginner like me its easy to get out sync when trying to up the tempo too much, but with enough practice it feels like it would really help you too throw quick combinations with proper leverage in each shot, not just arm punches.

Shadow boxing?
Lol thanks for that. I meant more this specific drill you see people doing whilst shadowboxing.

In my mind the goal of shadow boxing is to work on technique/form and drill specific combos/footwork, visualising your moves as if you were in a fight, where as this appears to be more of a conditioning drill without much consideration to form. I doubt Floyd is drilling this because he plans on standing on the spot and throwing a 100 uppercut combo on fight night!

You can focus on you're foot work while shadow boxing. Info tersely think mayweather videos are the best thing to watch while training because you are looking at a guy that gets paid to look cool, I'd bet a majority of thebshitbthe does
In his videos is just done to look cool.

Meanwhile you can shadow box and focus on fundamentals like not crossing your legs up, not dropping your hands and practicing perfecting your jabs really her than worrying about a mayweather vid.

You can focus on you're foot work while shadow boxing. Info tersely think mayweather videos are the best thing to watch while training because you are looking at a guy that gets paid to look cool, I'd bet a majority of thebshitbthe does
In his videos is just done to look cool.

Meanwhile you can shadow box and focus on fundamentals like not crossing your legs up, not dropping your hands and practicing perfecting your jabs really her than worrying about a mayweather vid.
Sure, but the Mayweather image was just to illustrate the drill I was talking about, I've seen countless boxers doing it in training so I'm assuming there is some thought behind it.

I guarantee its like mostly for the cameras. But if you are shadow boxing, it's good to practice hooks and upper cuts/shovel hooks because most people ignore them and throw
Shitty combos/pinches because a uppercut in training is very different than landing one live, same with a hook...

Back