Is there anyone here who ignored / actively disrespected the Pledge of Allegiance at School?

Which other country has such a creepy cultlike behaviour enforced on children?
bellamy-salute01.jpg

05146aa3b4db46180998633712d71aa5a3fd09.jpg

051a648e0b4c4d7101579dce7301a42880a1d1-wm.jpg

o-rly023.gif

I know its not what you asked but I feel like as an adult it the pledge of allegiance does make me a little uncomfortable. My fist allegiance is not to country. When I saw my daughter learning it in school I had to explain that her first allegiance is to what is right and that is not always what county is doing.

When I was kid (about 10 maybe), I was at a Lions football game and the National Anthem started. I didn't stand up right away and this dude behind me yanked me out of my seat and said "show some fucking respect". I realized at that moment how important this issue is to some people.

Would have been awesome if you turned around and said, "the proletariet must overthrow the bourgeoisie."

I always stood and said it through high school. I stopped saying it for awhile, at events when we sent troops to Iraq, still stood to respect the troops. I stand for the national anthem but don't participate in singing.

I always stood up for the pledge and would probably do so now as I do feel a great sense of patriotism to the country (I stand for the anthem). I also have zero issue with people who refuse to do it. Quite frankly there are other common views that I find far more unpatriotic and sitting/kneeling for the pledge/anthem. In fact, sitting/kneeling could be a show of patriotism.

I always stood up for the pledge and would probably do so now as I do feel a great sense of patriotism to the country (I stand for the anthem). I also have zero issue with people who refuse to do it. Quite frankly there are other common views that I find far more unpatriotic and sitting/kneeling for the pledge/anthem. In fact, sitting/kneeling could be a show of patriotism.

You are right.

As a kid, it was just something to get through. I have a bit more appreciation for it now, but I've never bothered to check if my students are going through with it or not. I think it's important that they see me do it because there's something loathsome about authority figures who willingly work in a system but act like they don't want to be there.

I would never bother a kid who doesn't do it himself though. As long as he isn't being disruptive while the other kids say the pledge, I don't see that it's any of my business.

I half-assed it mostly or just kind of mumbled. Not out of protest but mostly because it's pretty early in the morning and I was always pretty sleepy for the first hour of school. I kind of do the same with happy birthday or prayers and hymns in church, though I don't go to church often anyway. I take my hat off and do hand over heart for the anthem at sporting events but I don't sing along.

Never did it and dont remember anyone teacher or other student caring if you didnt before. True Americans dont care if you pledge or not since its your RIGHT to do either since we dont have flag worship laws in the USA

I had to in my elementary Catholic school and hated it because I was forced to do it. Funny how that works.

I don't know the Belgian anthem. I don't care. They're now forcing kids to learn both the National and the Flemish (regional) anthem. It is horseshit discardable "knowledge".

So you know the Flemish one, or just no anthems at all?

i knew a girl who was grabbed round the neck and threatened by a loyalist paramilitary in a Northern Irish pub one night cos she was a little drunk and chatting when god save the queen came on at closing time, but N ireland be crazy, in the rest of the UK its not played in bars, if it was, everyone would ignore the anthem in a desperate rush for last orders.
UK people who bang on about patriotism and put up flags come across as EDL, hooligan types , i gather its a bigger issue in the states, but its looked at askance from across the pond.
its just social conditioning really, but if someone wants to stand and salute or whatever, thats up to them, long as they dont give me shit for not doing it.
Edit, dont read anything into the flag in my AV, im half irish, and i just like the pic/ fighter

No anthems mate. I think it's deeply embarrassing.

Is that just because Belgium wasn't good enough at soccer during your upbringing that you didn't get to hear it enough to memorize it?

I have always honored the Американский залог верности.

bellamy-salute01.jpg

05146aa3b4db46180998633712d71aa5a3fd09.jpg

051a648e0b4c4d7101579dce7301a42880a1d1-wm.jpg

o-rly023.gif

The edge in these Whispers is oofff! Maybe the cunt from the second one could learn to say "for fuck's sake" instead of "for fuck sakes", while we're on the topic of learning.

As for cultlike practices at schools, this reminds me of communist Yugoslavia back in the 60s, 70s. That it's still happening here is hilarious as fuck.

I don't plan on raising any potential kids here, but if by some terrible misfortune I end up having to, they'll be taught better than to be sheep.

Everyone used to stand for it when I was in high school with one kid being the exception. He was a wannabe punk who used to tell me and my buddies what a big mistake we were making enlisting in the military etc. Long story short we all turned out alright and last I heard he’s in and out of prison on the regular.

By the way, just regarding the first part,
When I was a kid, I had to go to "the Catholic school" (passing "the Protestant school" on my way every day, but I digress) and every morning, we sang, God Save the Queen while standing facing the front of the classroom where a picture of her was mounted in the middle of the wall.

Not quite a pledge of allegiance, but dogmatic, nevertheless. I have no idea if they're still doing that in school here.

Stopped saying the pledge in like 6th grade because I didn't agree with "Under god" in the pledge, being a forced declaration of religious beliefs.

Stopped standing sophmore year in HS and got into tons of trouble for it. Basically rode detention every week until my mom came to the school and broke her shoe off in their asses for basically harassing a straight A student.

Haven't said it since.

I remember one kid that didn’t stand during the pledge in my seventh grade English class. She made him go to the principals office. That had to have been around late 2001-2002 around 9/11.

Under the law children can not be compelled to observe the Pledge Of Allegiance in any way. This includes being made to stand in silence. They also can not be lectured about nationalism etc. in lieu of participation but back in the real world unfortunately this is still very much the case in many parts of the USA

Back