Is This a Legal Move?

I disagree with this notion as there is no "for sale" sign in the house. The store has items displayed, with prices: obviously they are for sale. I don't believe Walmart has an actual for sale sign. Maybe a hidden one somewhere for legal purposes?

the store has the items displayed with prices and encourage people to enter and purchase, but there are terms we have to abide by, and they dictate all the terms. it doesn't matter if it's a bottle of water and you leave twice what's it worth, it's their store and they can do whatever they want within the law.

other than the obvious implications, it's also a liability thing. they might have disabled the purchase of that item at the register because it was unsafe and recalled and were about to take it off the shelves, but if you just bought it yourself and got hurt when using the product you might come back and sue, which wouldn't make sense because they will claim it was stolen.

i'm positive a woman was recently arrested for a similar situation (not saying OP should be arrested). for some reason she wasn't allowed to buy the item and it wasn't alcohol or cigs, but she left the right amount of cash on the register and left and was arrested anyway.

Wondering the jurisdiction on this, need a team of sherdog lawyers

So i was waiting in the line for the supermarket and i only had one item. water. $1.29. There was a long line. Then the cashier got up to go do something, idk move a box or a cart. looked like it would take him two minutes. I was posting on sherdog and was in a hurry. Instead of waiting for him to return, I simply placed 2 $1 bills, plainly visible, on top of the register and walked out of the store. I didn't want the change, and I dont feel like i have to wait for proof of payment. I paid. The store has a video surveillance system. Under no circumstance did I 'steal' the water. I did not wait for the paper receipt.

Is the receipt the 'transaction' or is by entering unto a storefront, exchanging currency, and then leaving, does that qualify?

The sale was not 'recorded'. I don't believe? customers have that obligation to stores? it's not my job to manage a store's inventory. I used to get paid to do that, i stocked shelves. now i don't stock shelves so that is no longer my responsibility.

Did I just break teh supermaketz?
Under current rules, paying for items you take from a store is illegal.

I would've drank the bottle in store and left the empty bottle with $1.20 with it because of the bottle deposit charge.

And the extra cent because we have no sense anymore here in Canada.

Then the cops would probably spend $1000 in wages for officers to track me down because I forgot to include the tax.

Probably not theft although you don't have a proof of purchase. Also kind of a dick move. Any sale, be it private or b2b or whatever there is a transfer between two parties. Part of that agreement entails waiting in line. Now the clerks register is going to be off and the inventory system is ruined. I do think you should be punished but it should be up to to decide: chemical, or physical castration? 🤔

Idk what the rules are, but it’s fine. When you pay cash at a restaurant, do they make you sit there while they count it to make sure you didn’t stiff them? No.

In California you could have just walked out with it

Probably not theft although you don't have a proof of purchase. Also kind of a dick move. Any sale, be it private or b2b or whatever there is a transfer between two parties. Part of that agreement entails waiting in line. Now the clerks register is going to be off and the inventory system is ruined. I do think you should be punished but it should be up to to decide: chemical, or physical castration? 🤔
They make enough money. They can blow me! HIREP MORE EMPLOYEES AND PAY THEM SOME OF YOUR BILLIONS NOT MY PROBLEM WAAH WAAH

WAR BALLFAN

I've done it before. Electricity went out at a drug store I was in and the registers weren't working so I gave money to the cashier and left. He didn't give a shit. Probably pocketed it for all I know.

Back in the 80s when people still relied on newspapers people would stop outside the store early in the morning before it opened and take one of the newspapers that had been bundled and delivered by the distributor. They would leave 50 cents on top of the bundle.

I was at a local WAWA recently and accidentally stole an On the Water fishing magazine. I was drunk and it was really late and for some reason I thought it was free since it was near some free local papers and such.

I realized a few days later that it had a price tag of 6$.

I was at a local WAWA recently and accidentally stole an On the Water fishing magazine. I was drunk and it was really late and for some reason I thought it was free since it was near some free local papers and such.

I realized a few days later that it had a price tag of 6$.
:mad: You belong in prison bud.

Also, where are you located? Because in California you don't even need to pay for the water anymore. Things from the store are free now.

I see homeless dudes go into a store, literally take a bag and load of food and then just walk right out the front door.

The stores are told not to get involved as far as I can tell.

I see homeless dudes go into a store, literally take a bag and load of food and then just walk right out the front door.

The stores are told not to get involved as far as I can tell.
Yeah some stores still have the no involvement policy. They just raise their prices to cover the loss from theft.

Other stores have beefed up security and hired loss prevention or security guards, and raised prices to pay their salary.

So either way, the good people who don't steal are paying for all the shit that gets stolen.

Technically it's legal but you open yourself up to liability if it ever comes into question and you can't clearly see that $2 were left there.

Back