Is this card worth $90

Watch this break the record for lowest selling ppv. I guess they are gonna sell live tickets. This is under or over 100 k buys. Who come we never year how many ppvs events sell anymore ?
They don't want fighters knowing, only the ones that get ppv points.

I remember when PPVs were $30, a $50 one was some big boxing fight or something. This has just gotten ridiculous.

Seriously.

It's kind of crazy - with the way the prices have skyrocketed for PPVs, in the age of digital streaming, who the fuck is buying these things?

The UFC must have done some market research and realized that most of their PPV buyers are rich owners of home theater systems so they really want the hogher quality PPV and money isn't an issue.

I'm a big fan of MMA, but I have been 100% priced out of the game. That is an absurd amount of money to charge for a card. If it wasn't possible to stream PPVs, I'd simply not watch MMA. It's just too expensive.

I don't think any card is worth $90. I can get tickets to sport events for less money than that. The PPV model is dumb.

I'm a big fan of MMA, but I have been 100% priced out of the game. That is an absurd amount of money to charge for a card. If it wasn't possible to stream PPVs, I'd simply not watch MMA. It's just too expensive.
That’s kind of the funny part about streaming, the UFC has a crusade against it but they actually benefit from it. The sport would lose so much popularity if you absolutely couldn’t access it besides the $90 ppv. The crazy thing is, I think they have a lot of people willing to pay something. Companies like Spotify and HBO have shown people are willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee instead of illegally obtaining things. They virtually eliminated illegal downloading/streaming.

Companies like Spotify and HBO have shown people are willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee instead of illegally obtaining things.
For $150 year or whatever I get nearly HBO's entire back catalog and all new programming plus random other movies and shows from other networks that show up. For $150 annually I can get the MLB package which contains every single game for every team. 162 games and the playoffs.

For $150 I cannot even pay for two months of UFC content. And the content comes once a week with almost no value in rewatching anything either. Anything more than $200 a year for all UFC events is a ripoff for fans. The NBA and MLB are $150 for their highest content tier.

shadarach
meshack
AND
abendigoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That’s kind of the funny part about streaming, the UFC has a crusade against it but they actually benefit from it. The sport would lose so much popularity if you absolutely couldn’t access it besides the $90 ppv. The crazy thing is, I think they have a lot of people willing to pay something. Companies like Spotify and HBO have shown people are willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee instead of illegally obtaining things. They virtually eliminated illegal downloading/streaming.

Yeah, im in that boat. Id definitely pay 20, 30 bucks for a ppv. That seems fair. When I still lived in Canada, with the exchange rate we're talking 150 dollars, or more. For an event like tonight? Come on, man. There's just no way.

And, you're right. I've been responsible myself for introducing fans to the ufc who have gone on to order ppvs. I subscribe to fight pass and as you point out, I'm an asset in terms of marketing, because I lobe the sport and want to talk to people about it. It seems like the ufc should grasp this and embrace the massive population of people who never would pay that much for a ppv. There must be millions of us, and many WOULD pay a reasonable price.

But, as I say, I'm sure the ufc has conducted the market research and crunched the numbers and they are probably pretty confident in their strategy. Seems to be working.

Seriously.

It's kind of crazy - with the way the prices have skyrocketed for PPVs, in the age of digital streaming, who the fuck is buying these things?

The UFC must have done some market research and realized that most of their PPV buyers are rich owners of home theater systems so they really want the hogher quality PPV and money isn't an issue.

I'll buy a UFC card probably 5 times a year when it's a good card and I'm doing well enough financially that $80 isn't gonna kill me. I mean that's about what it costs to take the wife out to a dinner.

Not saying I'm ok with it. But I do buy them because streaming fights sucks. They lag and get taken down and it's a hassle and sometimes I just want to kick back and enjoy the fight without worrying about it.

Tonight, however.. is NOT one of those nights. I will for sure be busting out the laptop and hoping to find a good stream.

This card surely does not deserves to be a PPV, period, Aldo came from retirement, from doing boxing fights against unknown guys just for the sake of doing boxing, Pantoja isnt the most charismatic guy either, and fighting a guy that seriously looks like he works at Best Buy...his last fight was at the Apex, hard sell, for a foreign card filled with locals, arena is still empty 3 fights in.

A midget card is a tough ppv sell
I agree that FLW`s will never be the biggest sellers unless something crazy happens, probably on any combat sport, but its interesting that the biggest MMA attraction used to fight only 2 divisions above the "midget" division.

For $150 year or whatever I get nearly HBO's entire back catalog and all new programming plus random other movies and shows from other networks that show up. For $150 annually I can get the MLB package which contains every single game for every team. 162 games and the playoffs.

For $150 I cannot even pay for two months of UFC content. And the content comes once a week with almost no value in rewatching anything either. Anything more than $200 a year for all UFC events is a ripoff for fans. The NBA and MLB are $150 for their highest content tier.
$15-20 a month for every UFC event, entire backlog, and all the other things they have on fight pass like smaller promotions, jiu jitsu, etc. would be reasonable. I think they have plenty of fans that would pay that that pay $0 right now.

Yeah, im in that boat. Id definitely pay 20, 30 bucks for a ppv. That seems fair. When I still lived in Canada, with the exchange rate we're talking 150 dollars, or more. For an event like tonight? Come on, man. There's just no way.

And, you're right. I've been responsible myself for introducing fans to the ufc who have gone on to order ppvs. I subscribe to fight pass and as you point out, I'm an asset in terms of marketing, because I lobe the sport and want to talk to people about it. It seems like the ufc should grasp this and embrace the massive population of people who never would pay that much for a ppv. There must be millions of us, and many WOULD pay a reasonable price.

But, as I say, I'm sure the ufc has conducted the market research and crunched the numbers and they are probably pretty confident in their strategy. Seems to be working.
Well right now, ESPN is paying them for 500k ppvs regardless of how it sells. ESPN is who is raising the prices, likely to make up for losses. As long as this deal exists, the ppv model will continue and probably just continue to climb.

I remember when PPVs were $30, a $50 one was some big boxing fight or something. This has just gotten ridiculous.

^This. When i saw that they are charging $90 for a PPV these days, i was like WTF. I'm not paying 90 fucking dollars for some watered down PPV, which most of them are these days. Back in the day almost every PPV was loaded with big names. Now, half the card are guys i've never heard of, or guys i don't give AF about and usually several random WMMA fights.

Back