Is this the best reversal from bottom in UFC history?

BoD 2.0

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Given who it was done against? Matt Hughes has one of the best top games in MMA History and is a hall of famer. He was in his prime at this time. And BJ pulled this move off on him. For me, this is one of the most impressive moves I've ever seen in MMA.

Discuss... #BJPennBless

2ueqxk6.gif

Have you possibly considered that it was more of a monumentally amaterish mistake on Hughes part rather than anything BJ did?

I mean even as a white belt you know not to shift you center of gravity straight into a sitting opponents side like that. You are begging them to take your back especially in no-gi/shirtless/sweaty

Have you possibly considered that it was more of a monumentally amaterish mistake on Hughes part rather than anything BJ did?

I mean even as a white belt you know not to shift you center of gravity straight into a sitting opponents side like that. You are begging them to take your back especially in no-gi/shirtless/sweaty
NO. It was a briliant move by BJ to maneuver off of Hughes's GnP elbow like that.

As a black belt I say you are wrong.

Given who it was done against? Matt Hughes has one of the best top games in MMA History and is a hall of famer. He was in his prime at this time. And BJ pulled this move off on him. For me, this is one of the most impressive moves I've ever seen in MMA.

Discuss... #BJPennBless

2ueqxk6.gif
Never been able to find a gif but personally I think it is Carlos Newton flipping Matt Hughes from full guard to full mount effortlessly

2nd fight by the way, that I just happened to see live!

NO. It was a briliant move by BJ to maneuver off of Hughes's GnP elbow like that.

Honestly bud I stopped arguing with BJ deluded nut huggers a long time ago. The guy has always been just at the right place at the right time and nothing more. He was great in a time of mediocire fighters who wouldn't even crack top 10 in todays crop of fighters but all I ever get from you guys is "but he fought Machida at like Super heavyweight bro!!!111"

As a black belt I say you are wrong.

Well as a blue belt I recommend you go train somewhere else. Where I train if I stick my ****ing head into someones side while in his guard like that my professor would choke the living shit out of me later on to teach me a lesson

Let me clarify something as I know I am being a couch warrior right now: This is an MMA fight and Hughes might have been tired and worn out and even the best make mistakes at that point, and BJ capitalized on it. Kudos for him, but do you honestly, truly, genuinely believe even a decent blue belt would shift their weight right into an opponents side like that while in his full guard?

That was epic. I can't find it but GSP had a really slick one against someone in his prime, Alves maybe?

It was a boss move for sure. I really like condit’s on DKH as well.

Vintage BJ and Spider fights were hands down my favorite fights to watch.

That was epic. I can't find it but GSP had a really slick one against someone in his prime, Alves maybe?
He had one against Fitch. Fitch was getting the shit beat out of him the whole fight and ended up on top and not too long later gsp somehow spun around and went out the back door, killing any momentum Fitch thought he had.

Honestly bud I stopped arguing with BJ deluded nut huggers a long time ago. The guy has always been just at the right place at the right time and nothing more. He was great in a time of mediocire fighters who wouldn't even crack top 10 in todays crop of fighters but all I ever get from you guys is "but he fought Machida at like Super heavyweight bro!!!111"
BJ has had a horrible end to his career, and it has overshadowed the brilliant start he had.

In 2009, after 9 years in the sport:
He was 16-5-1, with his losses coming to GSP X2, Hughes, Machida and Pulver (in BJs 4th mma fight)
The guy was a 2 division UFC Champ
He fought the #2 LW in the world in his 3rd MMA fight and the Champ in his 4th
He only lost once at LW, which he avenged.

Anyone who discredits how great BJ Penn was is delusional.

Well as a blue belt I recommend you go train somewhere else. Where I train if I stick my ****ing head into someones side while in his guard like that my professor would choke the living shit out of me later on to teach me a lesson

Let me clarify something as I know I am being a couch warrior right now: This is an MMA fight and Hughes might have been tired and worn out and even the best make mistakes at that point, and BJ capitalized on it. Kudos for him, but do you honestly, truly, genuinely believe even a decent blue belt would shift their weight right into an opponents side like that while in his full guard?
He was throwing an elbow dude, and BJ avoided the strike, and reversed him. He didn't just randomely put his head into BJs side lol

Have you not seen the full fight? Watch it, you'll see how it all happened. The gif doesn't show it all.

To me, it looks like BJ imbalanced him with that weird octopus-guard-like situp he did - I think most people would struggle to pull something like that off from closed guard but BJ was always able to do some really strange stuff with his flexibility and natural ability.

Minotauro vs Couture I think. I can't find the gif at the moment.

idk... as far as overcoming someones IMPRESSIVE top game... to not only get out from under them... but to put them on the bottom, and take over control of top position is DEF. impressive all the time. But my ALL TIME favorite.. is probably this one: ** Starts @ 1: 33 ** !!!

during his GnP, Fedor makes a mistake... Big Nog takes his top position from him. Then Fedor pulls a reversal out of left field and put Nog back down on his back, and is back in mount. This was an impressive fight. By both men. In a time when the sport was VERY young!!!

BJ has had a horrible end to his career, and it has overshadowed the brilliant start he had.

In 2009, after 9 years in the sport:
He was 16-5-1, with his losses coming to GSP X2, Hughes, Machida and Pulver (in BJs 4th mma fight)
The guy was a 2 division UFC Champ
He fought the #2 LW in the world in his 3rd MMA fight and the Champ in his 4th
He only lost once at LW, which he avenged.

Anyone who discredits how great BJ Penn was is delusional.

My point still stands though:

Of all those people he beat, can you honestly pretend any of them would even break top 10 in todays field of elite fighters? Who? Gomi? Pulver who had to end his career at BANTAMWEIGHT to even stay competitive?

BJ Penn's record and wins seem pedantric at best compared to someone like Khabib or Hendo or Pettis or RDA or any of those elite names who fought when the pool was full of sharks and not just fish

Back