Is this the weakest the Heavyweight division has ever been?

Gladiator24

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Gane was supposed to be the number one, the best the division has to offer and he’s absolutely awful. I don’t see a single heavyweight that’s any good. Only Francis Ngannou but he’s no longer in the division now. Stipe is way too old now and coming off devastating losses. The rest are just average at best, nothing exciting.

Jones picked the perfect time, very clever

Gane was supposed to be the number one, the best the division has to offer and he’s absolutely awful. I don’t see a single heavyweight that’s any good. Only Francis Ngannou but he’s no longer in the division now. Stipe is way too old now and coming off devastating losses. The rest are just average at best, nothing exciting.

Why these threads after the fight? Can you just not admit Jones is good?

I mean, the champ is one of the best fighters of all time, not exactly weak.

Ngannou would’ve been squashed just like Gane… he’s not very good. People here just become enamored with highlights of him knocking out 40year olds he outweighs by dozens of pounds.

In reality his grappling knowledge is rudimentary, he’s a far worse athlete than Gane, and he’s on one leg. Jones would’ve oblique kicked him all night or just taken him down and elbowed him to submission.

Jones is in a league of his own now at HW.

The division has been weak for years, Daniel Cormier was last great well rounded heavyweight. Some people believe Ngannou has great wrestling because he stuffed one sloppy takedown from Stipe, Heavyweights in the era are unskilled. Jones just exposed it.

Yeah for the past few yrs it's almost like there isn't a HW Division. It was just Ngannou flattening guys, aside from Miocic.
Once they cracked down on peds the HW division went the way of the do do bird. Remember Ubereem? Josh Barnett? Cain? Lesnar? Werdum? Fedor? Hunt etc? Way more exciting.

No Jon Jones is just that good

It's been terrible for a long time now, it's generally just been rock-paper-scissors because all of them are one dimensional.

Lewis is still in the top 10.

Once they cracked down on peds the HW division went the way of the do do bird. Remember Ubereem? Josh Barnett? Cain? Lesnar? Werdum? Fedor? Hunt etc? Way more exciting.
They were also way more skilled in all aspects of MMA aside from Hunt. All it was going to take was one Heavyweight who actually trains all aspects MMA and put it together to expose the division.

Jones would've lost and the narrative would be he sucks. But now he won so Cyril is a cherry picked can. There's really no winning with MMA fans.

Stipe coming off devastating losses? Plural? I must have missed some then.

Blaydes, Pavlovich, Aspinall, Jailton are all legit challengers. If Jon sticks around that long. I could see him retiring after Stipe. Then again he has probably blown thru a ton of money & has an addictive personality so doubtful actually, lol.

As for Gane being #1, Pavlovich has the same last 2 wins but more impressive. Aspinall ran thru Volkov much more impressively too. Gane is like 4 or 5 in the division.

If HW division is so bad why didn't all the LHWs move up and take the belt? All of Jones opponents were never good after he beat them.

Indeed. I thought Gane would put up a better fight. Jones won that fight completely. Gane had nothing. Very disappointing for the heavyweight division. Hopefully the next fight is better. Bones bless.

Indeed. I thought Gane would put up a better fight. Jones won that fight completely. Gane had nothing. Very disappointing for the heavyweight division. Hopefully the next fight is better. Bones bless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back