Is "Thug" nickname racist?

She should change her nickname to hoodlum or hooligan

I wouldn't say its 100% racist but we all know how sherdog and the ufc audience would react if a black fighter took the nickname "thug". Very much a double standard.

Hey welcome to 2017 where everything is racist. Every man is misogynist. Every white person has privilege. Guns make people kill other people. MM is GOAT. If you disagree with me then you're a bigot and you're wrong.

It's offensive to a lot of asian lesbians from what I heard. Don't know why.

If you want it to be, sure. But just stop wanting it to be, it's stupid!

No, you, the neocons are the victims, remember bro?

All those dangerous, evil Mexicans and jews coming and taking all of your jobs bro, right? Poor bitter conservatives just can't catch a break!!

Last edited:
If you're using it to low-key dog whistle, it is.

She is not.
Define low-key dog whistle. Is there an objective way of identifying a 'dog whistle', or is it entirely up to the social justice warrior that's using the phrase?

its not the word but who says it..anything a non black says is racist bra

No, you, the neocons are the victims, remember bro?

All those dangerous, evil Mexicans coming and taking all of your jobs bro, right? Poor bitter conservatives just can't catch a break!!

You sound like a victim-monger.

only if you think that only black people can be thugs

CAGEPOTATO.COM: First of all, who gave you the nickname “Thug”?

Rose Namajunas: My neighborhood friends. When I was little, I was the only white girl, I was smaller than everyone else, and for some reason I just acted harder than everybody else — just fearless, you know? So they kind of dubbed me that because of the intimidating scowl I always had on my face. That’s what gave me that name.

http://www.cagepotato.com/interview...charm-and-her-invicta-fc-5-fight-this-friday/

~
So if it was Rose's black neighborhood friends that originally gave her the nickname "Thug", it seems to me that blacks would not have a good case with regard to calling the nickname racist. (Plus, it may perhaps be relevant that Pat Barry's mother is African-American.)

On the other hand, people from India may have a better case with regard to not liking the nickname...

CODE SWITCH: WORD WATCH
What A Thug's Life Looked Like In 19th Century India
November 18, 2013
LAKSHMI GANDHI
https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...-life-looked-like-in-nineteenth-century-india

"Some historians now argue that the Thuggee Cult was in many ways an invention of the British colonizers as a way to better control India."

Yea most people have no clue about the origins of the term. It also doesn’t suprise me that the British colonist would make something like that up to suppress the local population...

THUGGEE LIFE!!!

thuggee-0a4adba8e7e36da89adb5b444f658496effd4d5d-s900-c85.jpg

Back