is too much eggs possible?

nicedistraction

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im eating eggs as a morning protein source. ive heard that eating eggs everyday is bad for you...is this true? the main concern, from what i gather, is cholesterol...if i just eat the whites how much protein will i be getting in comparison to the whole egg?

Your concerns are completely without merit.

Eat your damn yolks.

Kind of depends on what the rest of your diet looks like, in all honesty. But generally, I don't think you have to worry about it. Eat the damn yolk. It's tasty.

im eating eggs as a morning protein source. ive heard that eating eggs everyday is bad for you...is this true?
Nope. Eggs, particular eggs from pastured chickens free to roam a grassy area and eat leafy plants and loads of insects, are incredibly nutritious and you'd have to be eating them to the point of puking to be overeating them.
the main concern, from what i gather, is cholesterol...if i just eat the whites how much protein will i be getting in comparison to the whole egg?
Dietary cholesterol is not bad for you. It seems to promote HDL ("good") cholesterol and is necessary for synthesis of things like testosterone. Do you want testosterone?

That video is actually pretty good. The Dr. says he eats 6 eggs a day, and mentions the correct information that dietary cholesterol is not associated with increased blood levels of cholesterol (the "bad" kind, anyway).

Basically, as many eggs as you can eat without getting sick is the max. Obviously you'll want to vary it up to keep your food experience fun, though.

One caveat: He correctly states that transfats *do* raise cholesterol (probably through causing oxidative damage to blood vessels and provoking cholesterol as a patch, but I digress), but then states that you'd therefore want to avoid fried foods. Foods fried in "vegetable" oils have massively higher levels of transfats and should be avoided, but foods fried in real food oils like olive/butter/coconut/tallow do not suffer from this problem.

That video is actually pretty good. The Dr. says he eats 6 eggs a day, and mentions the correct information that dietary cholesterol is not associated with increased blood levels of cholesterol (the "bad" kind, anyway).

Basically, as many eggs as you can eat without getting sick is the max. Obviously you'll want to vary it up to keep your food experience fun, though.

it is good....but someone needs to tie his freaking hands to the table. hes driving me nuts

Don't worry about the cholestral. It's a giant myth the doctors perpetuate for $$$.

Seriously it pisses me off when I hear all of the cholestral propaganda, especially from the folks who are "trying to watch" their fat intake and get their whole grains....

I eat 4-5 eggs (only 2 yolks) a day 5 days a week and 2 full eggs a day on the weekends. I mainly have only 2 yolks during the week so I have a slightly stronger consistency to my omeletes. Ive been doing this every day for about 5 years (before that it was sporadic) I had my cholesterol done 2 years ago (which reminds me im probably due again) and it was at an acceptable level.

I was always told there is a limit of how much protein your body can absorb each hour ? From memory I think its 15 or 20 grams an hour if you weigh around 200 pounds, varies by body weight I believe if you take in more than you can absorb its just passed out as waste. Again from memory the average free range chicken agg contains 7-8 grams of protein.

Consuming too much protein is certainly possible and can lead to kidney damage but "too much" is a hell of a lot of protein and some studies suggest only people with pre-existing or a genetic pre-disposition to kidney problems will develop problems from over consuming protein. Take thats for what its worth as there is a lot of contradictory information out there.

Funny thread because I have ate scrambled eggs every morning for the past 4-5 months straight for breakfast before I leave for school.

I eat 4-5 eggs (only 2 yolks) a day 5 days a week and 2 full eggs a day on the weekends. I mainly have only 2 yolks during the week so I have a slightly stronger consistency to my omeletes. Ive been doing this every day for about 5 years (before that it was sporadic) I had my cholesterol done 2 years ago (which reminds me im probably due again) and it was at an acceptable level.

I was always told there is a limit of how much protein your body can absorb each hour ? From memory I think its 15 or 20 grams an hour if you weigh around 200 pounds, varies by body weight I believe if you take in more than you can absorb its just passed out as waste. Again from memory the average free range chicken agg contains 7-8 grams of protein.

Consuming too much protein is certainly possible and can lead to kidney damage but "too much" is a hell of a lot of protein and some studies suggest only people with pre-existing or a genetic pre-disposition to kidney problems will develop problems from over consuming protein. Take thats for what its worth as there is a lot of contradictory information out there.

Your body can "absorb" however much protein you eat in an hour. The number you're thinking of is what amount of aminos makes it all the way to skeletal muscle, and that number is closer to 35%. But the rest of the aminos will mostly be used in other functions throughout the body, or secreted as waste.

Your body can "absorb" however much protein you eat in an hour. The number you're thinking of is what amount of aminos makes it all the way to skeletal muscle, and that number is closer to 35%. But the rest of the aminos will mostly be used in other functions throughout the body, or secreted as waste.

lol, I wish this wasn't true. I wish you would just excrete anything above 30 grams of protein you ate at one sitting. lol, if that were true you could eat pounds of chicken breast in a sitting and have it be right around 200 calories or so.

so 5 eggs in the morning is a-ok ?

sure, although eating "five" of anything in a sitting will get dull after a while. as has been said to death already in this thread, dietary cholesterol does not directly correlate with serum cholesterol. i believe the figure stands at 10% of your serum cholesterol comes from diet, and even then, that cholesterol isn't necessarily harmful. it's difficult sometimes to appreciate the necessity of cholesterol when the word itself has so many nasty connotations.

myself, i average between 2 to 4 eggs a day. two in the morning, fried, and the other two i buy hardboiled in a small package from the grocery store for a dollar. filling and healthy. i learned the hard way that cereal in the morning is no substitute for the fat and protein your body really craves. it's irritating, though, that it took me so long to see what was right in front of me. obviously, colorful, sugary processed grains made in a fucking factory with stupid chocolate vampire mascots isn't what our diets evolved to process.

just wasting my time here adding more to the stack, but...

im eating eggs as a morning protein source. ive heard that eating eggs everyday is bad for you...is this true?

history: it used to be thought that eating fat and cholesterol was bad for you.

present: now we think the only bad fat is modified fat, and eating cholesterol doesn't matter much.

prognosis: good. the mainstream medicine recommendation on egg consumption is that as long as you're healthy, eat as many as you want... but not too many. whatever that means. it will take many more years for research to trundle along and nail down some numbers. I think they're got a 2-a-day number in their heads because that is what people would commonly eat.

sure, although eating "five" of anything in a sitting will get dull after a while. as has been said to death already in this thread, dietary cholesterol does not directly correlate with serum cholesterol. i believe the figure stands at 10% of your serum cholesterol comes from diet, and even then, that cholesterol isn't necessarily harmful. it's difficult sometimes to appreciate the necessity of cholesterol when the word itself has so many nasty connotations.

myself, i average between 2 to 4 eggs a day. two in the morning, fried, and the other two i buy hardboiled in a small package from the grocery store for a dollar. filling and healthy. i learned the hard way that cereal in the morning is no substitute for the fat and protein your body really craves. it's irritating, though, that it took me so long to see what was right in front of me. obviously, colorful, sugary processed grains made in a fucking factory with stupid chocolate vampire mascots isn't what our diets evolved to process.

Fuck the breakfast cereal industry. Our notion of breakfast now is fucking loads of sugary grains and poptarts served with OJ in the AM hours, which in actuality is the fucking worst time to be eating anything with carbs in it. AM Insulin spike combined with the cortisol levels from sleep pretty much = instant weight (fat assery) gain. I'm covinced that this is a major factor why we are a nation of fat @sses. Look down the cereal/breakfast ilse at the local supermarket it's fuckin' massive and has more colors then a pea**** not to mention the millions (billions) put into TV ads and doped up cartoon charters to pedal this shit to children on saturay mornings...

But no, the doctors tell you that fucking bacon and eggs will clog your heart.

Go eat the Frosted Flakes instead to save your arteries, its better because their greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!

-SNIP- obviously, colorful, sugary processed grains made in a fucking factory with stupid chocolate vampire mascots isn't what our diets evolved to process.

Yeah. That said some oats in the morning is pretty good. I have that first thing & then eggs around 10-10:30 am on weekdays.

Back