Is UFC in danger of what PGA is going through?

For those that haven’t followed it. PGA is basically identical to UFC. Contractors that must adhere to certain set rules…Some players brought their gripes about how too little profit was going to the talent (Phil Mickelson mainly). He was brushed off in prior years.
Fast forward, Saudi Arabia is supposedly trying to improve world image through sports washing. So government funding was used to lure in the talent and it worked UNTIL, PGA acknowledged the repercussions of doing nothing.
The PGA offered tournaments with incentives that almost match the competition.
The talent purge stopped and the players are happier for the future.
So one has to wonder, could Saudi Arabia do the same to MMA?
I assume Saudi Arabia is involved in MMA. Abu Dhabi Championship is next door.
Abu dhabi is the capital of Emiraties. A separate country than Saudia and also rivaling to them in many interests

There are a couple of main differences IMO

LIV isn't necessarily trying to get the best talent and most competitive league. THey usually get up and comers or old dudes. I would say it's more similar to Strikeforce. They just want to look like good people. Like was mentioend it's sportwashing.

UFC/MMA doesn't have anywhre CLOSE to the viewership and sponsorhip money that golf does. Having MMA really does nothing to help their cause or get them viewers. They'd rather have 1 Dustin Johnson or Brooks Kepka for the price of half the UFC roster. Unless they just want to spit the UFC and American MMA.

It is a pretty interesting topic. They could surely try it. I mean they basically have unlimited money don't they?

Well i see the point you're trying a highlight but the saudi dudes would legit need to steal all the top talent like they did in golf for anyhope of having better organisation than the UFC.

They are paying Dustin Johnson like $35 million alone . They can afford the entire UFC roster I'm sure ;) - But it would be dumb to do for them.

oh you want a fight of the night bonus huh? well let me just cut back oil production starve the market drive up the price then ramp up production and make billions. sure ill give ya that bonus. seriously tho as someone mentioned above, with what they pay just one of these golfers in one year they could easily afford the entire UC roster.

They are paying Dustin Johnson like $35 million alone . They can afford the entire UFC roster I'm sure ;) - But it would be dumb to do for them.
I now wish to identify as Justin Johnson

Rumor they are trying to set up heavyweight boxing tournament with guys like Fury AJ Usyk
They might be able to run some boxing events, but UFC fighters are under contract, so only those outside of any running contract could fight.

For those that haven’t followed it. PGA is basically identical to UFC. Contractors that must adhere to certain set rules…Some players brought their gripes about how too little profit was going to the talent (Phil Mickelson mainly). He was brushed off in prior years.
Fast forward, Saudi Arabia is supposedly trying to improve world image through sports washing. So government funding was used to lure in the talent and it worked UNTIL, PGA acknowledged the repercussions of doing nothing.
The PGA offered tournaments with incentives that almost match the competition.
The talent purge stopped and the players are happier for the future.
So one has to wonder, could Saudi Arabia do the same to MMA?
I assume Saudi Arabia is involved in MMA. Abu Dhabi Championship is next door.
Yeah, the Saudis could do it. I read they have a 400 something billion dollar slush fund from all the oil money. Why they offered Tiger a billion to join. I don't think they're gonna do it. If so, they probably would have done it when it went up for sale before.

Back