Is Volkanovski still relevant? (an honest discussion)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Is Volkanovski still relevant? (an honest discussion)

First things first, it is not my intention to sound mean or nasty. I used to be a big fan of Volk but recently his career has taken a bit of a tumble. At 35 years of age and suffering some nasty KOs, is Volkanovski still relevant in the UFC? We need to have an honest discussion.

At one point, Volkanovski was the PFP king. Now he's become a human punching bag. Two straight KOs and 1-3 in his last four, I can't see Volkanovski's reputation ever recovering. I didn't bet on his last fight, but had I did, I would have lost a lot of money. I truly believed Volk when he said he was going to humble Topuria. That has got to be one of the most humiliating defeats in UFC history.

Volkanovski stalled the LW division. If he knew he wasn't battlefield ready, why did he accept the Islam fight? Gamrot could have fought. It's not like we needed Volk 'to save the day'. Islam absolutely son'd him in the second fight. It's clear as day that Volk has no business competing in the LW division. Personally, I think Volk has ZERO relevance to the LW division.

With regards to the FW division, I think a win against Volk doesn't mean much nowadays. Back to back KOs irreversibly changes you. I'm a big fan of Max Holloway. I think Max's young age and headstrong attitude means he has far more to offer. Max has the opportunity to do what Volk couldn't, and that's to beat an elite LW fighter.

I'm not a fan of fake fans. I've called out Tony Ferguson's fanbase before for not asking him to retire. I think it's in everyone's best interest if Volk gets cut after his next fight. Max Holloway has much more to offer the fans and UFC.

Last edited:
No I think he is irrelevant to the main story now because he dieded. But maybe in the next episode there will be an arc where he gets revived and then he would be relevant again. Maybe in the multiverse there's a version of him who never got knocked out. Then maybe that version comes into Bellator and knocks out the UFC champion of the transgender world.

Are you suggesting he's become Glenn from The Walking Dead after the garbage can scene?

I think he is still relevant, but I don't know if he will ever be champ again. At 35 years old, he has lost 3 of his last 4, and KO'd twice. It is the end of his FW reign, and his next fight will tell a lot!

8jgr8s.jpg

His next fight will likely be for the FW belt again, but sure, he should retire.
<Deported1>

Fighter wins a fight: GOAT discussion.
Fighter loses a fight: CAN discussion.

Right now he is, he just lost the title like 5 minutes ago, but I could see him not winning another big fight and retiring in the next year or 2. He's been at it 12 years and 30 fights, and is 35 years old, which is about the point by all of those measures where a fighter drops off, particularly in the smaller divisions. There are exceptions, there just aren't nearly as many of them in the lighter divisions.

Some time off is certainly needed.

I think he should step back and refrain from the intensity for a while. He's been pushing it too hard, and has paid for it.

He should go easy for a bit to let his body and mind relax. Then if he wants to get back at it, give it a go. But only after a period of easy going recuperation.

Back