Is your BJJ street relevant?

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Do you ever feel that what you are repeatedly doing on the mat has largely gotten disconnected from an all out street fight?

No, I really only fear that I'll meet someone who has better skills then me.

Last edited:
street fights are for losers with teenie peenies. go get a monster logo tattooed on your neck.

Apparantly most important Gracie breakdown ever

Last edited:
Trained wrestling, sambo, and went to a smash and pass style bjj school. Did muay thai for three years too. I think im street ready.

The only time where a sport bjj guy or even specifically a Gi open guard guy would have truest trouble in the street is against another grappler or an mma guy.

But for me? I did judo, lil mma training, mush Thai, and am a smash bjj guy. I think I’m ok. Had plenty altercations in bars/clubs.

There is a legit BJJ school around the corner and everytime I pass in front and look inside, these guys are practicing some weird bottom position that I certainly would not want to be in "on the streets".

But what do I know of this new meta everyone talks about.

As for me, I have not been in an altercation for the past 20 years, so I'll probably never be in one ever again. If ever I am unfortunate enough, though, I'll use some 1-2s (including 2s to the solar plexus), clinch up if I have to and throw elbows and knees while controlling the sleeves (blend of Muay Thai and judo style), and if I see an opportunity, hip throw the bastard on the concrete and land on him kesa gatame.

I have found that judo hip throws work extremely well in Muay Thai once you break their posture.

I go straight to the kick to the nutzoplata. Works Everytime! My BJJ is ready for da streets!

Id fancy the trained version of me versus untrained me, so that's your answer.

About 80% of average men would gas out after swinging for a minute, or the minute you grapple with them.

Obviously if they land a random punch on your chin, anything can happen, but id rather be a purple belt having trained solely in a gi for 8 years, than to have done no form of physical training or combat.

Even a shitty MA for years is better than no training.

I never get into street fights, but considering how easy it is to control and submit new guys when they come in, I guess it would work on drunk idiots in the streets too

I asked because I was training in Kyokushin Karate and I could see the application right away. I knew that I could knock the air out of someone or kick them out. I only felt vulnerable in case if someone dives for my legs and they are inches from the ground. Not much in my Kyokushin Karate background prepared me to handle that. Any wrestler or BJJ newbie could take me to the ground and My bare-knuckle karate training wouldnt get me out.

Then I started doing BJJ and as a blue belt I feel like I have filled a major hole in my game. I have some basic understanding of grappling and submissions but they would not be my GO-TO moves unless I am in very specific situations. The rest of what I am building up on seems to get more and more disconnected from realities of combat.

Would it all come together at black belt level? Or am I on a path to Braz-kwon-do?

Nah cuz my takedowns suck. If every fight started on the ground I'd probably be good

Trained wrestling, sambo, and went to a smash and pass style bjj school. Did muay thai for three years too. I think im street ready.
Combine that with knowing your surroundings
and defusing potential fights would help greatly.

street stuff should be avoided. :)

If theoretically, if there enough drunk, untrained idiot, not heavier than you, why just not to do some takedown and don't go on ground with him?

I asked because I was training in Kyokushin.

Would it all come together at black belt level? Or am I on a path to Braz-kwon-do?

Combo Kyokushin + BJJ + Judo + boxing looks quite promising for both ; SD and MMA too. :)

My style of not being a douche bag and never even being close to getting in a fight is perfect for the streets.

my top game is crushing. I would have no problem taking some random down and holding them there. could put them in a submission if I feel like it. The only problem is if they have a weapon, then their odds increase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back