Is your BJJ street relevant?

In my observations, the main barrier for BJJ in a fight is the take down. IMO too many people assume they can easily get a take down against an untrained opponent. After that, i'd say any good blue or average purple belt should have no problems in a fight against the majority of people. I am a firefighter and used to "spar" against my coworkers. Some of which were huge. After it hit the ground it was shockingly easy to submit them. The average person doesn't even know the areas to defend so taking the back or getting mount is unchallenged. For the most part they want to just stand up ASAP to throw punches. That said, it was eyeopening how hard it can be to take down a much bigger person. Especially if they are throwing punches.

In my observations, the main barrier for BJJ in a fight is the take down. IMO too many people assume they can easily get a take down against an untrained opponent. After that, i'd say any good blue or average purple belt should have no problems in a fight against the majority of people. I am a firefighter and used to "spar" against my coworkers. Some of which were huge. After it hit the ground it was shockingly easy to submit them. The average person doesn't even know the areas to defend so taking the back or getting mount is unchallenged. For the most part they want to just stand up ASAP to throw punches. That said, it was eyeopening how hard it can be to take down a much bigger person. Especially if they are throwing punches.

My gym just started offering wrestling classes. I'm gonna jump on that as soon as my injury clears. Right now I'm fairly positive I could submit the average untrained person if it went to the ground, but I know I'd look like a fool if I tried to take them down.

mine is i use to play a really lose open guard game off my back but stopped when i focused on mma more if it doesnt work in the cage vs good guys i dont use it

my top game is crushing. I would have no problem taking some random down and holding them there. could put them in a submission if I feel like it. The only problem is if they have a weapon, then their odds increase.

i think its quite pathetic to be a brown belt and not be able to defend themselves n a street fight lol yet these same kids on here tyr to shit talk older guys as though they suck yet a basic blue belt a decade ago and longer had not trouble in street fights lol lots of my students as white belts use to choke people out all the time at clubs ect its a sad day when a brown belt falls to his back trying to work berinbolos and leg locks cause he isnt tough enough to clinch a guy up and get him down the normal way

i think its quite pathetic to be a brown belt and not be able to defend themselves n a street fight lol
wtf are you blabbering about? a bjj brown belt will destroy an average person in a fight..

If I never throw another punch outside of the academy, that's absolutely fine by me. Street fights are to be avoided if at all possible. If I have to defend myself, I'll most likely be using techniques from Kali rather than BJJ. But training BJJ makes my Kali techniques more effective; I learn to fight against someone who is resisting me as much as possible, and I build a tolerance for pressure and pain.

One of my teamate is a cop, he always says, the less punches you throw, the less paperwork you need to do afterwards.

He uses is BJJ daily, also some quick wristlocks and sneaky stuff he learned in kungfu.

Sure he has a very developped top game, good wrestling and very good strategies to get off his back but it's still BJJ

One of my teamate is a cop, he always says, the less punches you throw, the less paperwork you need to do afterwards.

He uses is BJJ daily, also some quick wristlocks and sneaky stuff he learned in kungfu.

Sure he has a very developped top game, good wrestling and very good strategies to get off his back but it's still BJJ

Although I'm a civilian, I have the same mentality. Last self defense scenario I encountered, the other guy landed zero punches, I threw zero punches, no one got hurt. Only his ego. Just because you CAN destroy someone doesn't mean you need to. And in the end, it's just not worth the "paperwork" (lawsuits, criminal case, etc).

Nobody advocates beatings.
However it isn't smart to assume, that you always will be faster than assiliant.

Sadly attacks with hands and items not rarerly are aimed at head/ neck and aren't just linear straight stuff.
So there where we can learn not only defense with blocks/ deflection?
From arts, that are called " just ring sport " ; f.e boxing, MT, KB etc.
So there not only deflection/ blocking, but also body movement, head movement and stance/ height change are used for evasion etc.
Including to use stuff, that decreases recieved strike effectivity even to be hit isn't avoidable. Guys know how to roll out at least a bit.

Not if you train takedowns. I've never wrestled or done judo, but I go to wrestling class, start standing when possible, and have recently gotten pretty damned good at using my guard to stand up. People just don't expect it.

Also, a good guard pull with a collar drag can teleport you to the back.

Takedowns aren't that hard if you actually practice them. Most people, you get an armdrag or a a single leg and they're clueless

It's self-defense "relevant"; but...is it "street optimal"? HECK NO. I would quit BJJ on the spot and join a MMA gym with a focus on takedown training and striking defense if I were going for that.

However, I'm a 40 year old professional with little interest or reason to become a pseudo-MMA fighter. I'm a pretty big guy and am more confident due to training BJJ - it's more than enough IMO, I train BJJ because I love the art.

Do you ever feel that what you are repeatedly doing on the mat has largely gotten disconnected from an all out street fight?

I train 3 police officers (not carrying guns in my country), 1 correctional officer.
They always tell me stories on how they use techniques at work.
It is an eye opener to hear what work and what is needed and so on.
I also give a discount to law enforcement.
I also consider sponsoring a program called youth at risk that one of student (police officer) got involved with.
It is about youth having a bit of hard time and need help.
I don't want to take youth that have history of violence as I think learning bjj could give them skills to hurt people in a more effective and efficient way.

Well, it depends.
Sometimes when teens have option to beat in bout, this helps them be more calm on street.
Yes, it sounds crazy, but some clubs 20 + years ago accepted them because....sorry, they were already able to beat and kick properly ( of course not without training ) but not recieved back enough.

Well, it depends.
Sometimes when teens have option to beat in bout, this helps them be more calm on street.
Yes, it sounds crazy, but some clubs 20 + years ago accepted them because....sorry, they were already able to beat and kick properly ( of course not without training ) but not recieved back enough.

That is correct. I mean you could take the chance to train a youth that already has history of violence.
And hope that learning bjj could make him more calm and stop beating people around.
But I don't want to take the risk.
Baby step.
I will screen them first and see how it gies.
To be honest they are already many bjj and MMA gyms that are recruiting centre for gang members so I doubt I would attract any of that type. Especially when the sponsor is already a police officer.

Trained wrestling, sambo, and went to a smash and pass style bjj school. Did muay thai for three years too. I think im street ready.

I hope that someday you meet a weak defenseless rocket scientist and smash the sh$t out of them to fulfill your lifelong dream.

Not all of them, but sometimes it is easy to become violent teen; if one didn't managed to hit properly, other handled out concussion = violent.
For gyms it not always was bad. Kid sticked with it, beats and if can bear beating too, it's fine.

Although I'm a civilian, I have the same mentality. Last self defense scenario I encountered, the other guy landed zero punches, I threw zero punches, no one got hurt. Only his ego. Just because you CAN destroy someone doesn't mean you need to. And in the end, it's just not worth the "paperwork" (lawsuits, criminal case, etc).

A great uncle of mine knocked out a guy in a street fight. His head struck the pavement and he died later in hospital. My great uncle was charged with murder, which In those days carried the death penalty. He was very lucky to beat the rap on a self-defence plea.

If you stuck me in a one on one street fight and told me I could have a free shot using any technique of my choice, I'd probably go with RNC. No lasting damage and by the time the guy wakes up, I'll be long gone. But since Chokes can be difficult to get as a first choice in a street fight, I prefer to strike the body. A good shot to the torso etc can end a fight, and there's less chance of the guy falling the wrong way and leaving his brains on the pavement.

Not that I give a shit what happens to him, but I don't need the hassle of police involvement.

Back