Islam Makhachev Claims Usman Nurmagomedov Has Better Striking Than Dustin Poirier

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
mixcollage-05-feb-2024-01-46-pm-4170.jpg

Islam Makhachev believes teammate Usman Nurmagomedov is a better striker than upcoming opponent Dustin Poirier.

Makhachev is scheduled to defend his lightweight title against Poirier in the main event at UFC 302 on June 1 at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. Since he’s in the same weight class, Bellator MMA lightweight champ Nurmagomedov is one of Makhachev’s chief sparring partners in camp.

While Nurmagomedov couldn’t join the rest of the team until recently, Makhachev revealed that the undefeated Bellator champ gave him some solid rounds as soon as they sparred. The reigning lightweight champion heaped praise on his teammate, also labeling him a better striker than Poirier.

“Usman, honestly always give me good rounds,” Makhachev said on the "Weighing In" podcast. “After he was sick and he just come back two days ago. We [rest of the team] are one week here. When he feel like better, right away he come to support me. And today he give me two good rounds. This guy I think have better striking than Dustin. He gave me good time in the striking because you know, his kick, his arm, he’s really good in the striking honestly. And when you spar with some guy at the high level, they call it [iron sharpens iron].”

While Dagestani exports are renowned for their dominant grappling, many have showcased elite striking skill sets over the years, including both Makhachev and Nurmagomedov. Nurmagomedov has scored eight of his 17 career wins via KO/TKO, albeit many of them via ground-and-pound. Nurmagomedov recently pulled out of a title defense against Alexander Shabliy scheduled for Bellator Paris on May 17 due to an undisclosed injury. The fight was supposed to be his return from a six-month suspension due to a failed drug test that resulted in his last title defense against Brent Primus being overturned to a no contest.

Makhachev has also shown exceptional striking in dropping Charles Oliveira before submitting him to win the title and knocking out Alexander Volkanovski with a head kick in his second title defense.

That's not true at all. And the kid pissed hot already wtf.

Not only that their striking style is so different, might as well bring in khabib to prepare for Poirier. As a matter of fact, there might be more similarity between the two.

Usman is good but what makes him great is his grappling. I think Umar is better.

Dustin has better boxing than Usman, Usman has better kicks. All in all i'd have to say Dustin has better striking. I didn't like what i saw from Usman in the Brent Primus fight, he didn't look confident enough in his striking to take risks and try to finish Primus. Very talented but he still needs to put it all together.

Poirier's striking is robust, but its pretty one dimensional.

Usman is a natural martial artist, with a diverse skillset. He is a better striker, however, it doesn't mean he is more effective. Time will tell. I have noticed though that his defense holds up so far in fights, he doesn't get hit often, while Poirier stands in the fire and puts himself at risk. I would agree with Islam conditionally.

I always think it's kind lame asking a fighter about a team mates fight coming up.

What else is he going to say? Derr I train with Islam but Poirier is just better and will ko him first round probably.

What makes Usman so good striking wise is his wrestling threat. Dustins boxing in the pocket is great, whilst Usman is a rangy outside striker. Dustin could catch Islam coming in because he has been caught at that range before, but let's be honest... this defence is against the guy who lost to 2/3 guys above him both by finish. Poirer is good, but he is the lesser guy within the top 5 at the moment.

I would love for him to pull it off, but there is a reason they were backstage asking fighters to take the title fight vs Islam straight away. Islam had already been in camp for over a month and they were trying to catch one of these guys on shorter notice and settled on the easier fight with Poirer.

Nobody ever said Islam is smart.
And only his nuthugging fans say that his striking is good.

Exactly 1 time it looked solid. Against Oliveira, who has a 50% striking defense and got knocked down about 13 times.
great job...

A lot of people had a 5'6 featherweight dwarf outstriking him. (not me)

islam-makhachev-was-right-lmao-v0-stgalyn1sh0a1.jpg

"Usman Nurmagomedov Has Better Striking Than Dustin Poirier"

2 words, he doesn't.

Usman has no power in his hands and relies heavily on kicks. Dustin's boxing is light years ahead of Usmans. Dustin has more power than anyone that Islam has fought as well, he could shut Islams lights off with one shot.

Last edited:
"Usman Nurmagomedov Has Better Striking Than Dustin Poirier"

2 words, he doesn't.

Usman has no power in his hands and relies heavily on kicks. Dustin's boxing is light years ahead of Usman. Dustin has more power than anyone that Islam has fought as well, he could shut Islams lights off with one shot.
You're getting quoted when Islam KOs Dustin.

Back