Media Islam Makhachev sends a message to the Lightweight division

Could any of those names defeat Islam Makhachev

• Total voters
I would also like to see good fights for the LW belt, but they don't have any. All they have are guys who can't string together more than a win or 2 and Gaethje's entire UFC record would be 8-5 with 3 title shots. Islam needed a 10 fight win streak before getting a title shot, Khabib needed 9, Tony had 12 never did become champ, and Gaethje is getting his 3rd with only 8 total wins and a bunch of losses?

If the Colby/Leon fight is trash, I don't see how you can think Gaethje or Charles are super exciting matchups. Colby/Leon is pretty even odds, and the guys you're suggesting fight for the LW belt would all come in as like 4-1 underdogs that they'd have a hard time selling with guys who just got choked out last year fighting one of the best grapplers in the UFC.

If it was actually good fights you're after, then they should book Islam against the winner of Colby/Leon, which would be very even odds, and Gaethje/Charles can fight for an interim that gets promoted to real champ if Islam wins, whichever one wins can fight Arman, Islam can fight Belal after Ramaddan, and if Islam loses, they can unify after ramaddan with at least some kind of win streak and Islam coming off a loss to make the odds closer and the fight more sellable, and Belal can fight whoever beat Islam.

That's the next six months of title picture for 2 divisions where all the fights are pretty close odds no matter who wins.
Why just not vacate the 155 belt?

Why is he holding that belt as hostage, when apparently him (and his fans too) think that the rest of the division is thrash and he is so much superior to everybody else, that the fights don’t make sense or excite him?

Vacate, go up, climb the rankings, seek for greatness, stop with the diva behaviour. Problem solved.

He's the real deal,but he seems really unfocused about what he wants to do. Arman Shoryuken looked amazing in that last fight. That makes me want to see that fight more than any of the other shit hes talkin about.

Guessing he's going to be on the Saudi card in March. No way they don't have him defend before Ramadan. Unfortunately I think it's going to be against Charles so we'll have people criticizing him for having 4 fights against 2 opponents. Would rather Gaethje got it.

This is just a dumb a dishonest criticism. He was slated to defend against a LW only six weeks ago. Not his fault that LW is a dumb ass who managed to to get an eye cut 10 days before the fight. You’re framing it as though islam is refusing to defend against LWs
He is already talking about moving up

I would also like to see good fights for the LW belt, but they don't have any. All they have are guys who can't string together more than a win or 2 and Gaethje's entire UFC record would be 8-5 with 3 title shots. Islam needed a 10 fight win streak before getting a title shot, Khabib needed 9, Tony had 12 never did become champ, and Gaethje is getting his 3rd with only 8 total wins and a bunch of losses?

If the Colby/Leon fight is trash, I don't see how you can think Gaethje or Charles are super exciting matchups. Colby/Leon is pretty even odds, and the guys you're suggesting fight for the LW belt would all come in as like 4-1 underdogs that they'd have a hard time selling with guys who just got choked out last year fighting one of the best grapplers in the UFC.

If it was actually good fights you're after, then they should book Islam against the winner of Colby/Leon, which would be very even odds, and Gaethje/Charles can fight for an interim that gets promoted to real champ if Islam wins, whichever one wins can fight Arman, Islam can fight Belal after Ramaddan, and if Islam loses, they can unify after ramaddan with at least some kind of win streak and Islam coming off a loss to make the odds closer and the fight more sellable, and Belal can fight whoever beat Islam.

That's the next six months of title picture for 2 divisions where all the fights are pretty close odds no matter who wins.
But all 13 of Gaethje 8-5 is against top 10 fighters. Every single one. You say he needed a 10 fight streak with who he was fighting, probably could have been longer considering he had 10 wins and none were ranked

Islam has only faced a top 10 lw once and it was Charles. You could maybe reach and say hooker was a top lw at one point but cmon. Gaethje a 8-5 doesn’t mean what it means on paper those 5 losses are elite high level losses. Islam doesn’t have enough elite high level fights to deny people with records like that. Gaethje would likely have laid anyone that Islam fought the fuck out maybe with the exception of armen who turned out to be a great fighter. Gaethje destroys hooker green and Moises easily. No one else is even worth mentioning

Last edited:
Islam?

RDA. He was the final one to pull out when the match was offered at 170 after talking crap online. The fight was pretty much good to go and then it didn't get made on Islams end. Not necessarily ISlam, but his camp shut that one down, because RDA was actually an experienced WW vs Islam.
you said Islam is avoiding title defenses , RDA cant be one of them

Why just not vacate the 155 belt?

Why is he holding that belt as hostage, when apparently him (and his fans too) think that the rest of the division is thrash and he is so much superior to everybody else, that the fights don’t make sense or excite him?

Vacate, go up, climb the rankings, seek for greatness, stop with the diva behaviour. Problem solved.
And again, more rules that apply to Islam and nobody else. Which other champs have had to vacate their title when challenging for another? Not BJ, not Conor, not DC, not Volk, not Izzy, not TJ, not Cejudo, none of the wmma ones. The only one who did was Jones because he took 3 years to move up.

And just lol at "climb the rankings". This is exactly what I'm talking about with the Islam haters trying to come up with standards that don't and never would apply to anyone else. Nobody's even had to "vacate their title" to challenge for a 2nd belt, but now you think not only should he be stripped to challenge for another belt, but he should be stripped and still not challenge for another belt, just take his belt away because you don't like him.

And again, more rules that apply to Islam and nobody else. Which other champs have had to vacate their title when challenging for another? Not BJ, not Conor, not DC, not Volk, not Izzy, not TJ, not Cejudo, none of the wmma ones. The only one who did was Jones because he took 3 years to move up.

And just lol at "climb the rankings". This is exactly what I'm talking about with the Islam haters trying to come up with standards that don't and never would apply to anyone else. Nobody's even had to "vacate their title" to challenge for a 2nd belt, but now you think not only should he be stripped to challenge for another belt, but he should be stripped and still not challenge for another belt, just take his belt away because you don't like him.
If pereira moves up to challenge Aspinall you bet your ass these fanboys wouldn’t be asking him to vacate the LHW belt. The success of the Dagestan fighters triggers the hell out of them, it’s so funny to witness lol. If islam became double champ half of sherdog would die from brain aneurysms. The thought of that happening terrifies them.

Literally every champ talks about moving up these days. Leon, O’Malley, Pereira have all said they wanna move up, Volk moved up twice. You’re just going out of your way to shit on Islam.
I agree that every champ does it, doesn’t mean I condone it. Volk earned the right. I will not criticize volk as he has virtually cleared his division both times he moved up. Now a new legit challenger has emerged and he’s doing what he should be doing god bless volk.

Pereira belongs at lhw, and he didn’t move up with a title, so he doesn’t count. He fought a contenders fight and won, then won the title from a lineal champ. Bless him too.

The rest of them haven’t earned the right to speak on it and I shit on the rest of them just as much. Islam Leon and O’Malley all have at least 4+ fights to fight before even discussing a move to a higher weight division. If you can’t see the difference between volk and these three you will say ANYTHING to defend Islam

Last edited:
I agree that every champ does it, doesn’t mean I condone it. Volk earned the right. Pereira belongs at lhw. The rest of them haven’t earned the right to speak on it and I shit on the rest of them just as much.
I don’t know your history, but this is the point, Islam gets an inordinate amount of criticism for stuff that every other fighter in his position does. So many bad faith arguments against him.

This is just a dumb a dishonest criticism. He was slated to defend against a LW only six weeks ago. Not his fault that LW is a dumb ass who managed to to get an eye cut 10 days before the fight. You’re framing it as though islam is refusing to defend against LWs
Nope, it isnt. He recently publicly talked about retirement if he doesnt get a TS @WW.
Now, this.
He must defend it against LWs a few times at least. And this is my point.

Nope, it isnt. He recently publicly talked about retirement if he doesnt get a TS @WW.
Now, this.
Again, it’s a dishonest criticism. Islam has said a million times that he will fight anyone the UFC puts in front of him, he’s said that so many times that Dana even put one of his quotes saying that on the PI wall. You’re simply cherry picking a single Russian interview out of context. He never said if he doesn’t get the 170 TS next that he’ll retire. He already signed to defend his belt against Oliveira, so it’s dumb to pretend that he won’t defend against LWs.

Now, this.
What does "now this" even mean? Now what? OMG, can you believe a champ has the nerve to say he's the best in the division? What an outrage!!!

Didn't even mention Benny. That's gotta hurt.

I don’t know your history, but this is the point, Islam gets an inordinate amount of criticism for stuff that every other fighter in his position does. So many bad faith arguments against him.
Islam gets an appropriate amount of criticism, no fighter is immune to criticism. Even Izzy, who is the hardest champion of the last decade to say anything bad about gets a great deal of criticism. Even though he defend his title multiple times against great fighters before ever moving up, fought all worthy challengers as they were at their best, fought often. But still heavily criticized for having boring fights and “playing it safe”.

No one is immune, Islam is just much much easier to criticize than SOME (not all champs.) the only thing I will say to defend Islam is that while his 10 fight win streak to get a title shot was weak as fuck, no one wanted to fight him when he was a rising contender. I will admit as he moved up he was heavily ducked. That’s the only credit I can give him in relation to his weak lw record, but the amount of CRITICISM (it’s not ALWAYS hate) he gets is not “inordinate” by any means

Back