Islamophobia, UFC and how Conor uses religion to sell fights -- BloodyElbow

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
McGregor’s religious attack on Nurmagomedov comes only weeks after the Christchurch mosque shootings, where 50 peoplewere murdered by a gunman who livestreamed the attack. The terrorist attack, which took place at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, directly targeted Muslims in their house of worship. While McGregor is by no means responsible or involved in any way in the attack, his twitter post — an insensitive attack on another fighter’s religion rooted in prejudice — normalizes such religious insults to millions of fans who follow him across his social media platforms.

“Using racism to “get a rematch” is vile. Especially after 50 Muslims were killed in New Zealand,” Professor Khaled A. Beydoun, a law professor and author of American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear, told BloodyElbow. “Conor has consistency wielded racism as a tactic to not only sell fights, but rile up his fan base and anger his opponents.” Professor Beydoun continued: “He did so against Brazilian Jose Aldo, and infamously called Floyd Mayweather “boy” during their over-the-top promotion. He also made both explicit and latent anti-Latino remarks against Nate Diaz in their two bouts, calling him a “gangster” to play on the conflation of Mexican identity and gang affiliation.

“But, we see Conor McGregor’s bigotry most brazen and unhinged with regard to Khabib Nurmagomedov, the pious and proud Muslim fighter. He ridiculed his Muslim practice and expression throughout their volatile fight promotion, and today, stoops to the lowest of lows by claiming that he’s married to a towel - an ugly gesture playing on the “towelhead” slur attributed to Muslim women that don the Hijab.”

Given McGregor’s influence and sheer global popularity, the fighter has a responsibility to ensure that his platform is not used as an outlet for racist or xenophobic attacks. Instead, at a time when New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern has worn the hijab in a show of solidarity with Christchurch and the country’s Muslim community, McGregor has made the hijab the source of one of his jokes.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/...ious-tension-fight-promotion-khabib-crime-mma

1_BLP_CHP_Burka4414PNG.png

Conor and Tim Kennedy should have dinner together sometime.

Brainwashing for all: Islam is the religion of peace and Khabib is a poor man bully by a racist leprechaun

Karim Zhidan (I already know its him) is a cunt, a racist, and a hypocrite.

Why even bring up the Christchurch? This is non related. You can still dislike the practices of a religion in a part of the world where free speech exists.

McGregor’s religious attack on Nurmagomedov comes only weeks after the Christchurch mosque shootings, where 50 peoplewere murdered by a gunman who livestreamed the attack. The terrorist attack, which took place at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, directly targeted Muslims in their house of worship. While McGregor is by no means responsible or involved in any way in the attack, his twitter post — an insensitive attack on another fighter’s religion rooted in prejudice — normalizes such religious insults to millions of fans who follow him across his social media platforms.

“Using racism to “get a rematch” is vile. Especially after 50 Muslims were killed in New Zealand,” Professor Khaled A. Beydoun, a law professor and author of American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear, told BloodyElbow. “Conor has consistency wielded racism as a tactic to not only sell fights, but rile up his fan base and anger his opponents.” Professor Beydoun continued: “He did so against Brazilian Jose Aldo, and infamously called Floyd Mayweather “boy” during their over-the-top promotion. He also made both explicit and latent anti-Latino remarks against Nate Diaz in their two bouts, calling him a “gangster” to play on the conflation of Mexican identity and gang affiliation.

“But, we see Conor McGregor’s bigotry most brazen and unhinged with regard to Khabib Nurmagomedov, the pious and proud Muslim fighter. He ridiculed his Muslim practice and expression throughout their volatile fight promotion, and today, stoops to the lowest of lows by claiming that he’s married to a towel - an ugly gesture playing on the “towelhead” slur attributed to Muslim women that don the Hijab.”

Given McGregor’s influence and sheer global popularity, the fighter has a responsibility to ensure that his platform is not used as an outlet for racist or xenophobic attacks. Instead, at a time when New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern has worn the hijab in a show of solidarity with Christchurch and the country’s Muslim community, McGregor has made the hijab the source of one of his jokes.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/...ious-tension-fight-promotion-khabib-crime-mma

1_BLP_CHP_Burka4414PNG.png
I am telling bloody elbow to fuck right off with their pro Islam bullshit.

He made a joke about their customs....just like jokes are made about priests, nuns, etc...if everyone else can take a fucking joke why can't Islam the religion of submission?

I could care less about any religion but fuck Ali for trying to turn this into some backwards fucking bull shit.

Joking about Islam is not islamaphobic.

Critiquing Islam is not islamaphobic.

Healthy people joke and critique many things.

I am telling bloody elbow to fuck right off with their pro Islam bullshit.

He made a joke about their customs....just like jokes are made about priests, nuns, etc...if everyone else can take a fucking joke why can't Islam the religion of submission?

I could care less about any religion but fuck Ali for trying to turn this into some backwards fucking bull shit.

a preist a raabbi and anesthetist are only ok if you dont make fun of muslims. everyone knows that.

we all know conor floats around racist and xenophobic stuff a lot, he cant help it that he's not witty.

NO such thing as Islamophobia.
5767ed4e8ee8b.jpeg

Hitchens>Anyone on Sherdog by a trillion miles or any religious icon.

Last edited:
Only reason you increase your risk of having a sick child by procastrinating with your first degree cousin is cause your religion said so. And it's in Christianity and Islam forbidden to question religion.

My friends are muslims, I'm neither relgion, I believe in God.

It's really all Conor has. Insult the background of his opponents cause he can't think of anything original. He did this with Aldo, Siver, Diaz etc.

Every single one of the people who defend coercing women to cover themselves in robes needs their fucking ass kicked.

Including the people over at Bloody Elbow. I don't give a fuck what your training background is. This world would be better off without all of you.

Back