Israel Adesanya (19-0) vs. Paulo Costa (13-0)

Israel Adesanya vs. Paulo Costa

• Total voters
It means they are both good strikers, but Israel is of a much higher level. Plus his movement is excellent. Paulo won't be able to get him against the fence in order to land his barrage.

Much higher level doesn't always mean a fighter will win, especially when talking about higher level strikers in mma. Take a look at fights like Machida/Brunson, Rothwell/Overeem, Saki/Roundtree, Sergei/Ayala, Arlovski/Rogers. List goes on and on.

This statement has been said for years and years about levels and I've come to realize half the time it doesn't mean much cause there are many other variables to consider in a mma fight.

It means they are both good strikers, but Israel is of a much higher level. Plus his movement is excellent. Paulo won't be able to get him against the fence in order to land his barrage.

I think you’re probably right, but sometimes it’s just the right matchup and aggression beats precision. Shogun vs Machida for example.

Israel already fixed his mistakes from the Gastelum fight. Rob used that fight as a blueprint for his preparation against Israel and what happened? Got knocked the fuck out. If Costa tries the same gameplan, he'll get that result as well.

Costa and Whittaker are very, very different fighters though. Costa stalks with steady pressure and forces the fight to take place in close quarters. Robert stays at range and then closes the distance in big leaps. Against Izzy in particular he was really overcommitting to his blitzes. Costa won’t fight that way at all.

If you want to beat Adesanya , you have to be a god damn good wrestler , ain't no striker beats him.

Paulo Costa Renews Death Threat against Israel Adesanya

“When I put my hands on his head, his body – he’s going to feel it a lot,” Costa said on the ESPN+ post-fight show following the event at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, Australia. “I fear he can die in the Octagon.”

He cannot handle it from me. When I close the distance, I can KO him. I think Robert Whittaker started the fight very well. He closed the distance, because everybody knows when you close the distance against Israel Adesanya, he loses.

His distance, his timing – he cannot fight with guys who pressure him. Everybody watched that fight against (Kelvin) Gastelum. If Gastelum has my power, I think Gastelum knocks him out.”

He has to have his eye on the target (and) look where he’s punching. Robert Whittaker doesn’t do that, but I do.”

Now we only have one fight to do. One fight to match up. It’s me against Israel. I want this fight with all my soul. I will take his head off of this cage. You (can’t) believe how much I want this fight.”

I can come here to fight, but I’d like to bring this fight to Brazil. We have a lot of fans in Brazil, a lot of support there. The people there love the sport, so I think it would be great in a big arena like this in Brazil.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10/6/20900999/paulo-costa-details-post-ufc-243-run-in-with-israel-adesanya-fears-hell-kill-champ-in-octagon

One bodyshot and it's over. The difference in size and power will be too much.

These 2 guys are both awesome, what a fight this will be. The build up too. I'm all in, may the best man win.

Sell out that arena next year:

Izzy vs Costa
Holloway vs Volkanovski
Nunes vs Anderson
Whittaker vs Cannonier
Hooker vs Islam

Going costa on this one.. for two reasons..

The mma gods serves chaos alone..

Costa bullied romero.. close fight but he had possibly the most physically gifted mma fighter of all time outgunned badly..

He's not the most skilled mw ever but he's a problem for any mw..

I've seen nothing in any of Costa's fights to suggest he'd have beaten Whittaker or Adesanya.
Beating a 42 year old Yoel when they were both gassed to fuck after 2 rounds and Uriah Hall.... that's it. Oh and he gave Hendricks his 7th loss in 10 fights from GSP.

you're a fuckin idiot then

I was not very impressed by his performance over Romero. I think Israel beats Costa quite «easy».

He closed the distance, because everybody knows when you close the distance against Israel Adesanya, he loses.

Yes, as evidenced by all the time's he's lost.

I'm pretty sure Costa will get picked apart in the same way Whittaker did

Israel Adesanya vs. Paulo Costa Opening Odds Released

Israel Adesanya -190
Paulo Costa +165

*Odds Taken on Oct. 10.
(BetOnline)

costa has a way better chin than whittaker. he hate yoel's shots pretty good.

but his striking is no where near Adesanyas. Izzy would make him look like askren in the standup. if he can get a hold of him things will get interesting though.

Izzy is more skilled and craftier on the feet than Costa but Costa is build like a tank and i think his natural athleticism and power will be too much for Izzy. Costa just has that natural ability to put anyones lights out with one shot.

He has zero actual one punch KO wins that I remember? Only TKO's in the UFC. Overrated power.

Costa isn’t that technical. He’s just a brute. Adesanya will tool him. Will be rooting hard for costa though.

Back