Issues with Squatting

iGnP

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Hey guys, just want your opinions on a couple of aspects of my squat that im having issues with.

first of all, i cant get as low as "ass to grass". i've heard that this is due to my hip flexors not being flexible enough. i can get a little below 90 degrees but that is all

secondly, i notice a slight lean forward in my upper body as i get to my lowest point. i've read that this might be because my ankles arent as flexible as they should be as i compensate by leaning forward and making my back more parallel to the floor (although it isnt too noticeable)

does anyone agree or disagree with the above? and does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best way to solve these issues? if it helps at all ive grown up playing basketball and lifting weights casually. i wouldnt consider myself weak but im not benching 2x my body weight

thanks a bunch

Lack of hip and ankle mobility can affect your squat form, so if you think that's your issue you can work on that, and you can post a form check video here so people can help you.

Lack of hip and ankle mobility can affect your squat form, so if you think that's your issue you can work on that, and you can post a form check video here so people can help you.

will do, thanks

There has to be a certain amount of forward lean since your hips don't go straight up an down. It's hard to say if it's excessive without a video.

For your hip mobility check out the Limber Eleven, there is a link in the FAQ, post #3 I think.

I have this problem myself. My ass to grass squats during warmups are still not that low. I have been trying to do some 3rd world squats during stretching to help.

However, I have heard from quite a few strength coaches that an honest parallel squat is good enough. It seems that people who do "ass to grass" do it b/c it is easier. They get a bounce or stretch reflex at the bottom.

I have this problem myself. My ass to grass squats during warmups are still not that low. I have been trying to do some 3rd world squats during stretching to help.

However, I have heard from quite a few strength coaches that an honest parallel squat is good enough. It seems that people who do "ass to grass" do it b/c it is easier. They get a bounce or stretch reflex at the bottom.

I do ass to grass on warmup reps up to 135lbs but after 200lbs, Parallel is a lot easier than ass to grass for me.

You don't have to go ass to grass. Most of the time people talk of ass to grass, it's to act as if their squat has more merit than their numbers show.

sorry guys been away from the computer for a bit but today is leg day and i will tape myself and post for critiquing

how much weight should i have on the bar during the video? i feel as though if i go too light it wont be a good representation of issues i have w higher weights

sorry guys been away from the computer for a bit but today is leg day and i will tape myself and post for critiquing

how much weight should i have on the bar during the video? i feel as though if i go too light it wont be a good representation of issues i have w higher weights

Ideally the bar/something in the middle/heavy weight.

I cannot do atg low bar back squats while keeping good form. So I don't. And it doesn't bother me. I do atg front squats with no problems though.

Ideally the bar/something in the middle/heavy weight.

ah i didn't notice this until after i was done. i just used an intermediate weight

without any further ado...

[YT]yUzOmgfovc0[/YT]

btw im about 6'2''. not sure if it matters but some say it's tougher on taller people to squat low

Your video is private. Make it public.

ah i didn't notice this until after i was done. i just used an intermediate weight

without any further ado...

[YT]yUzOmgfovc0[/YT]

btw im about 6'2''. not sure if it matters but some say it's tougher on taller people to squat low

Way too high. Your knees wobble.

Way too high. Your knees wobble.

yeah that's prob as far as i can go. is there anything in the video that shows what my issue might be?

if i go any lower, i start to lose balance

yeah that's prob as far as i can go. is there anything in the video that shows what my issue might be?

Your stance is quite wide and feet angle looks quite high (looks like 60 degrees, should be more like 30) and you're using running shoes, which are too soft and create an unstable platform. You seem mostly unbalanced in your legs, like ipaulgib mentioned so focus there first. Push your knees out, which is easier with a narrower stance if you have mobility issues.

Your forward lean is not excessive if you intend to low bar squat. If your issue is that you start to fall forward the heavier it gets/the lower you go it may be that the bar is too high up your back (should be spine of the scapula) or your trunk isn't tight enough (core/upper back). Tightness is hard to tell on a video without seeing your setup.

Your stance is quite wide and feet angle looks quite high (looks like 60 degrees, should be more like 30) and you're using running shoes, which are too soft and create an unstable platform. You seem mostly unbalanced in your legs, like ipaulgib mentioned so focus there first. Push your knees out, which is easier with a narrower stance if you have mobility issues.

Your forward lean is not excessive if you intend to low bar squat. If your issue is that you start to fall forward the heavier it gets/the lower you go it may be that the bar is too high up your back (should be spine of the scapula) or your trunk isn't tight enough (core/upper back). Tightness is hard to tell on a video without seeing your setup.

1. thank you very much for the response, it is greatly appreciated

2. what kind of shoes would be best?

3. regarding the losing balance: i actually feel as though i will fall backwards if i go any lower

4. the bar is definitely not in the right place if it's supposed to be on the spine of the scapula. i will change that next time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back