Media It can no longer be denied - wrestlers DOMINATE the UFC (Blade of Khabib)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Out of all fighting styles, wrestlers are the most successful at becoming champs.

Screenshot-2020-07-16-at-15.26.30.png

Source

To me, this isn't at all surprising.

Last edited:
Actually, this is patently false based on a fallacious evaluation of numbers.

There are WAY MORE wrestlers in the UFC because they can't make money elsewhere (all of the others can). The proportion of wrestlers to champs means these numbers don't prove anything with regard to the better MMA base style.

The idea of comparing to boxing is silly because there haven't been any elite boxers with real MMA careers, while there have been loads of elite wrestlers.

It will always come down to the individual no matter how many want to say their style is better than the others.

Wrestlers are real athletes, Jiujitsu is just pathetic for the most part, it's sad watching them helpless trying to pull that gym bs in a real fight and getting destroyed in the process.

Kron, Hall, and that FW lanky guy who fought the other Russian dude Evloev.

These stats are odd. 1 karate fighter listed as a UFC champion and It's Whittaker, when the best known UFC champion to have a karate base was Lyoto Machida.

They might have lumped him in as a bjj fighter but if they did then it's all kinds of wrong, that isn't his base at all.

There are WAY MORE wrestlers in the UFC because they can't make money elsewhere (all of the others can). The proportion of wrestlers to champs means these numbers don't prove anything with regard to the better MMA base style.

It will always come down to the individual no matter how many want to say their style is better than the others.

The idea of comparing to boxing is silly because there haven't been any elite boxers with real MMA careers, while there have been loads of elite wrestlers.

Precisely it, and the sport is well developed at a grassroots feeder level in the USA - swallowing up at a young age, athletes of a calibre who would never consider walking into a martial arts, or probably even boxing, gym.

Last edited:
These stats are odd. 1 karate fighter listed as a UFC champion and It's Whittaker, when the best known UFC champion to have a karate base was Lyoto Machida.

They might have lumped him in as a bjj fighter but if they did then it's all kinds of wrong, that isn't his base at all.

I think Miocic was listed primarily as a wrestler but I think he relies much more on his boxing while fighting.

Out of all fighting styles, wrestlers are the most successful at becoming champs.

Screenshot-2020-07-16-at-15.26.30.png

Source (+ ESPN)

To me, this isn't at all surprising.

Yeah, as someone else pointed out, Machida was clearly a Karate stylist, but somehow isn't listed?

I just can't understand how such an obvious error can be made?

If an error that obvious has been made and is so easily identifiable, WTF expertise went into unnecessarily pigeon-holing the others?

I think Miocic was listed primarily as a wrestler but I think he relies much more on his boxing while fighting.
Yeah but he still has a wrestling base.

Still. It would be weird to list Miocic as a wrestler when he primarily stands and boxes when they list Dominic Cruz as a boxer when he also has a wrestling base but stands and strikes.

Machida not listed as a Karate based UFC champ.

I don't trust these statistics at all. Seems fighters are placed almost arbitrarily.

Reactions: Kb7
This is a majorly flawed analysis, the authors essentially ignore BJJ except with a nod to submissions. All positional grappling is lumped under wrestling. I’m no expert in either wrestling or BJJ, but doesn’t the latter include an awful lot of positional grappling?
Also, their assignments of primary arts seem suspect. They list Gilbert Burns as wrestling and boxing; I know his wrestling is good, but isn’t he a multiple time BJJ world champion? Would they also list Charles Oliveira as a wrestler?

It's MMA. All champions and all fighters employ several disciplines. For example, to say that Cruz won all his fights by employing his "primary fighting style" (boxing) would be false.

wrong-drumpf.gif

When it was strictly individual disciplines, Jiu-Jitsu DID, in fact, prove to be to most effective.
Wrestlers dominate now, because they learned Jiu-Jitsu and can not only defend submissions, but use them.
No one has ever won a fight by pinning someone.
Without at least rudimentary Jiu-Jitsu and submission defense, wrestlers will not go very far.
Kevin Jackson was a fucking Olympic gold medalist and Frank Shamrock eviscerated him in seconds.
The "wrestlers" that dominate now (Khabib, Islam, Cain, DC, Aljo, Cejudo, Colby) and even the up-and-comers (Bo Nickal) all have great, well-rounded grappling games and great Jiu-Jitsu.

On the other side of the coin, we could say there are way more wrestlers BECAUSE wrestling is so dominant in MMA.

A fighter who grew up boxing and has little relative experience with kicking and the ground game would get eaten alive in MMA by someone with a wrestling background. This isn't really up for debate at this point.

There's a reason boxers stay away from MMA, and it's definitely not just money. A VERY small percentage of boxers actually make significantly more than UFC fighters.

We also haven't seen the cream of the crop wrestlers come into MMA in their prime. We've seen some good ones, but just like boxing, the vast majority in their lane. There's a whole other level of wrestler that hasn't even been seen in MMA.

There's a reason there are so many wrestlers in MMA. Because it's the most effective base martial art. Boxing clearly isn't.

If there’s one thing that helped Jiu Jitsu guys as far as modern rules go , it was that no matter what was happening their opponent got a free standup every 5 minutes, that was so beneficial for them . Nothing easier than trying to get the guy down control him and set up a sub in 5 minutes, super easy .
Also take into account that modern judges side with the person on top about 97% of the time , whether there doing fuck all or not they must be winning because they’re on top .
Also as far as who has the most current champions , I think that the kick-boxers should be talking a bit , but I guess they don’t behave like that

They not only dominate with wrestling but they actually become more effective strikers, submission artists & overall athletes than the rest

ohhh… so being a well-rounded fighter proves most effective within MMA… who’d have thunk it?!

I think that’s the clearer conclusion here.

What are the skill bases or the current reigning UFC champions? Seems like its more even distributed off the top of my head. Jones, Hill, Izzy, Edwards, Islam, Volk, Sterling, Moreno.

Wrestlers are real athletes, Jiujitsu is just pathetic for the most part, it's sad watching them helpless trying to pull that gym bs in a real fight and getting destroyed in the process.

Kron, Hall, and that FW lanky guy who fought the other Russian dude Evloev.
THIS. If you do BJJ you can tell the difference between a wrestler and a person who only has done BJJ. Wrestlers are just extremely athletic, disciplined, and the mindset in wrestling is just more hardcore than in BJJ.

Back