It pains me to say it - Indiana Jones is a mediocre, overrated franchise

Is mediocre nerd for awesome?

Not enough people over 35 in this thread. Temple of doom got more vhs replay than probably any of the others. The chick was hot, and acted circles around what women are doing today. She was animated, without being nothing but a quippy, fast talking facade. The 2 children with larger roles were also great. The prelude leading up to finding the poor Indian village is A+. I'm not saying it's a better movie than the first, but it's certainly more entertaining throughout than the 3rd, and that's not even close. From the opening scene, to the dinners in both the village and palace, to the bugs, to the "we.. are going.. to die!!" To the (essentially) devil worship heart scene, to the indy heel turn, to the roller coaster escape, to the bridge.. Exactly wtf in that movie didn't work? It may have portrayed rich Indians a little backwards, and not been grovelingly reverent of Indian culture.. Maybe.

The third film had a high point in the middle with the revolving wall, a highpoint at the end (it's shorter than you remember) with the home of the grail, and a ittle decent humor. Scene by scene, temple murders crusade.

As someone who is over 35 I disagree on Temple > Crusade.

Temple was the low hanging fruit choice of the trilogy partly because the obsession with the funny ‘Asian kid’. It was extremely popular but not because it was some masterpiece. Granted Crusade was Raiders 2.0 and didn’t do it as well I’d still say the material was far superior to Temple. It had Nazis, searching for a famous religious artifact and even fun origin scene with a cameo from River Phoenix .....enough to topple the plot of Temple.

Since Netflix added these and I've been rewatching, I realized that Leo D'Caprio is just a River Phoenix clone

The Indiana Jones trilogy is awesome. The same cannot be said for your taste in movies.

giphy.gif

Stealing this .gif...

Funny, I always that the Star Wars franchise was mediocre at best and highly overrated. I never thought of the Indiana Jones franchise being that though...the last one was pretty lame.

Funny, I always that the Star Wars franchise was mediocre at best and highly overrated. I never thought of the Indiana Jones franchise being that though...the last one was pretty lame.

Star Wars takes a big dump on Indy's chest

I saw Temple of Doom before I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I don't find it to be lackluster. In fact, it's very quotable and takes me back to my childhood, so I've got a soft spot for that one.

When I did finally watch Raiders, I re-watched it multiple times (and also did so during the holidays this year.) It's definitely a classic.

Not much to be said about Last Crusade that hasn't been said already. It's always an enjoyable re-watch.

Only saw the last one once, but didn't find it very memorable. Might have to revisit it since I bought the box set on Amazon a few months ago.

Raiders and Last Crusade are absolutely great.

Temple was very entertaining, even if it were kindof a bad movie.

There was no 4th Indy movie. Crystal Skull was just a bad dream Harrison Ford had one night about Shia Labouef being his son.

Not enough people over 35 in this thread. Temple of doom got more vhs replay than probably any of the others. The chick was hot, and acted circles around what women are doing today. She was animated, without being nothing but a quippy, fast talking facade. The 2 children with larger roles were also great. The prelude leading up to finding the poor Indian village is A+. I'm not saying it's a better movie than the first, but it's certainly more entertaining throughout than the 3rd, and that's not even close. From the opening scene, to the dinners in both the village and palace, to the bugs, to the "we.. are going.. to die!!" To the (essentially) devil worship heart scene, to the indy heel turn, to the roller coaster escape, to the bridge.. Exactly wtf in that movie didn't work? It may have portrayed rich Indians a little backwards, and not been grovelingly reverent of Indian culture.. Maybe.

The third film had a high point in the middle with the revolving wall, a highpoint at the end (it's shorter than you remember) with the home of the grail, and a ittle decent humor. Scene by scene, temple murders crusade.
Acted circles around women today. People hated her back when that movie came out. She was hot, that was it. Terrible actress who only got the role because of a certain connection. She was so annoying I was hoping Indy would through her off the bridge. The german chick in 3 was much better. And they friggin killed her off.

As someone who is over 35 I disagree on Temple > Crusade.

Temple was the low hanging fruit choice of the trilogy partly because the obsession with the funny ‘Asian kid’. It was extremely popular but not because it was some masterpiece. Granted Crusade was Raiders 2.0 and didn’t do it as well I’d still say the material was far superior to Temple. It had Nazis, searching for a famous religious artifact and even fun origin scene with a cameo from River Phoenix .....enough to topple the plot of Temple.

The plot? Perhaps. The execution and entertainment level? Temple.

Acted circles around women today. People hated her back when that movie came out. She was hot, that was it. Terrible actress who only got the role because of a certain connection. She was so annoying I was hoping Indy would through her off the bridge. The german chick in 3 was much better. And they friggin killed her off.
Nope. She was fantastic. From the song and dance number at the beginning, throughout, she was great. The critics hated her at the time because she was too... today.

German girl was more sexy, but not better.

my man Indy did have otherworldly lungs when hanging on the side of that submarine

I didn't find Capshaw to be problematic in and of herself. She has sort of a thankless role there. Ravenwood was much cooler so Karen Allen had something to work with there.

People seem to be very hot/cold with Shorty too. Either they think he's awesome or they think he's annoying af.

Cool character to me but the problem is Connery >>> both Short Round and Willy in terms of Indy's traveling buddy.

With one legit good movie, out of 4.

Change my mind.

Thats the same ratio of good movies to bad as The Matrix series if the Wachowski's queefed out another pitiful sequel after Revolutions.

As it stands Indiana Jones is batting 25% and the Matrix is 33%.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a legit good movie. I

Temple of Doom is onee of the most disgusting headache and naseua inducing movies ever made

Last Crusade is cure for insomnia

Crystal Skull might be the worst big budget movie ever made

You disgust me.

The world was a much bigger place back then. It was super adventurous snd interesting at the time. There was way more mystery back then.

I liked the entire trilogy

There is'nt a 4th movie

I loved Temple of Doom, and I loved The Golden Child, too. In fact, the only thing I'll admit, and it doesn't pain me to do it, is that they never crafted a Home Alone 4 with some random cute Asian kid in San Francisco opposite Jackie Chan as the lead clumsy crook.

MV5BN2E2MWJhZjEtMDdmOS00MmFkLWJlNWEtNWQ0NjA0NzIwNjRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

You suck and weren't a real child of the 80's if you don't feel the same way.

Lol

The plot? Perhaps. The execution and entertainment level? Temple.

Kate Capshaw is almost universally hated in Temple and she's no where as good looking as Alison Doody(being annoying and having a bad 80s perm doesn't help). Google the word "Kate Capshaw irritating" and tell me how many articles come back. Hint it's a lot.

latest

Short Round's humor appeals to children(which is the nostalgia kicking in hard) and the supporting cast in Temple is the worst in the series by a mile.

Indiana-Jones-star-Jonathan-Quan-with-Harrison-Ford-and-Kate-Capshaw-815296.jpg

I don't see where the execution and entertainment level being out pacing the shit casting and plot. It's got it's strengths but it's such a inconsistent film on many levels. Kate Capshaw being the jar jar binks of the series doesn't help it's case.

Back