It will be a sad day when Poirier retires, hopefully it's not on saturday

He said in the interview today that it's all bullcrap, he's not retiring if he loses. Dustin even pointed out where he thinks fans got that idea from, it was something he said in an interview somewhere.

He said in that same interview any fight could he his last including BSD fight.

I'd say he's been done since losing to Khabib and the fight with Charles might have been his last motivational push. Poiriers been in the game for a very long time. Dustin isnt the best nor will the UFC pay him big money for non title non Conor fights which means there's no point in sticking around

I imagine Justin Gaethje isn't too far behind if he loses to Islam

Last edited:
Win or lose I hope it's a great showing from both men. Hoping Poirier can weather any early storm and bring Benoit into later rounds and give him a tough test. If he's going to be a gatekeeper of sorts, I hope he makes it damn hard to enter the gates. Respect to the man for taking this fight.
Poierer won't be a gatekeeper that's for sure. I know the UFC paid him very well for this fight and good for him but he's in the money making stage. If he loses I'm pretty sure he's done or maybe one more with Oliveira or something.

I'm rooting for BSD. Been a fan of him since his debut. That said, poirier has a significant boxing advantage and the experience advantage in 5 rounds. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him whether a storm and then put it on a fatiguing BSD in rounds 3,4 and 5.

If Poirier does lose, though, I think he'll stick around for one or two more if the opponents interest him

Exactly. I never understood why they are expected to retire after they aren't as good as they used to be anymore. If they still enjoy fighting and are still able to be competitive then why not?

Yeah it’s like a lot of these fans think they know more than the fighters themselves, as if they’re looking in from the outside and have a unique perspective. It’s all BS of course. I think some of it comes from Dana too: “I always tell these guys if you’ve got one foot out the door it’s time to hang em up” Why? Is a fighter completely worthless if he cannot generate wins or be an entertaining punch bag like Tony?

I think for the educated fan it’s interesting to see how a fighter handles that stage of their career. It’s obviously a bit sad seeing them retire, but when they get older it’s not like they’re no longer capable of being brave or impressive. Wonderboy getting close wins when he’s nearly 40 because his technique and fight I.Q is carrying him through - that’s truly impressive, win lose or draw

Because it's not like you get a little slower and
score fewer goals, you get the shit kicked out you and collect CTE.
Did ya not properly read what I said? I said if they are able to still be competitive. Competitive as in meaning they are still able to perform albeit not at a championship level but well enough to still be able to win fights. I don't mean guys that are getting finished and can't win fights anymore like T-Ferg.

Yeah it’s like a lot of these fans think they know more than the fighters themselves, as if they’re looking in from the outside and have a unique perspective. It’s all BS of course. I think some of it comes from Dana too: “I always tell these guys if you’ve got one foot out the door it’s time to hang em up” Why? Is a fighter completely worthless if he cannot generate wins or be an entertaining punch bag like Tony?

I think for the educated fan it’s interesting to see how a fighter handles that stage of their career. It’s obviously a bit sad seeing them retire, but when they get older it’s not like they’re no longer capable of being brave or impressive. Wonderboy getting close wins when he’s nearly 40 because his technique and fight I.Q is carrying him through - that’s truly impressive, win lose or draw
I think it turns more into "what would be a fun match up for this person?" when a fighter is no longer in the contender stage of their career. Like WB ain't gettin a belt but a fight with him and MVP would be sick. Or even Black Beast, his time is done as a contender but there's still fun fights for him like vs Rozenstruik and possibly the new Taekwondo guy they just signed.

Last edited:
Nothing sad about him retiring, especially if he loses. I'd much rather see someone retire in the early stages of decline than go the Tony Ferguson/BJ Penn route and fight for years after their prime.
BINGO.

He had a tremendous career. Got to hold an interim championship, made millions of dollars and has continuing income from other businesses.

He is a prize fighter with ample prizes to enjoy the rest of his days and for his kids to live well with opportunity.

He went from, I believe a fairly humble beginning (dude was in jail around 2001) to being a self made millionaire.
That's the American dream.

When he goes out people will call him champ and buy him drinks. Good life.

He just started I am sure hes not going to retire yet.

If he’s already talking retirement going into a fight, it’s not a good sign. Means he’s already one foot out the door, can’t compete in a brutal sport like MMA with that mentality.

Couple that with the fact that he’s been finished in two of his last three fights and there you go.

Nothing sad about him retiring, especially if he loses. I'd much rather see someone retire in the early stages of decline than go the Tony Ferguson/BJ Penn route and fight for years after their prime.
this is very true. it still stirs some melancholy and mixed emotions though.

Reactions: mkt
I'm torn on this fight, both technically and emotionally.

I think BSD has a clear grappling edge and is durable as hell, but Poirier could outstrike him or bring him into deep waters.

And emotionally (not that I have emotions, as a sherdogger), I'm rooting for BSD as new blood, but I also want to see good old Poirier put a stamp of his career.

It will be a sad day when Poirier retires. Him, Max, Gaethje, Whitaker.. we will have a group of phenomenal fighters retiring in the coming months/years. Fighters that brought us great memories, instigated fierce debates and made us love the sport.

One day they'll be gone and we will wish we took the time to enjoy their last fights. I feel like it's that type of fight for Poirier on saturday.

I'll be rooting for the Diamond
I really don't get this sentiment, DP has pretty much been semi-retired for ~3 yrs now, he hasn't fought often in a very long time. I don't think his absence will be noticeable. Great LW thought, he left a strong legacy.

I really don't get this sentiment, DP has pretty much been semi-retired for ~3 yrs now, he hasn't fought often in a very long time. I don't think his absence will be noticeable. Great LW thought, he left a strong legacy.
Not noticeable in terms of fighting frequency, more so him not being there

I’ll admit I didn’t care too much for Dustin when he was a FW, but after his move to LW he started to grow on me being a Mike Brown disciple

Dude puts on great fights every time out and has that dog in him, hespect

Back