It's been about 30 years since a Canadian team won a Stanley Cup.

Do you think a Canadian team wins the 2024 Stanley Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Montreal Canadiens was the last Canadian team to win a Stanley Cup.

You think this is the year they hoist the cup up north of the border?

There are four Canadian teams mostly in the west.

Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Toronto Maple Leafs

flamesbolts2004.jpg

FFIarfzX0AgB0ks.jpg

More difficult question to answer from someone who doesn't watch hockey:

What was the last team to win a Stanley Cup that had a majority (or plurality) of Canadian players? I'm willing to bet you don't have to go back 30 years for that.

Nope. Panthers

More difficult question to answer from someone who doesn't watch hockey:

What was the last team to win a Stanley Cup that had a majority (or plurality) of Canadian players? I'm willing to bet you don't have to go back 30 years for that.
Probably last year. Top 10 skaters on the Knights and top 2 goalies:

jack eichel (USA)
chandler stephenson (Canada)
jonathan marchessault (technically Canada)
reilly smith (Canada)
alex pietrangelo (Canada)
william karlsson (Sweden)
shea theodore (Canada)
mark stone (Canada)
phil kessel (USA)
nicolas roy (technically Canada)

logan thompson (Canada)
adin hill (Canada)

I don't watch pro hockey but these are franchises made up of people from around the world. Nothing to do with Canadians sucking at hockey they are still the best.

I heard it sort of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because players don't want to play for desperate Canadian fans and prefer playing for a US franchise with no expectations. So its getting worse. I remember when I was younger Canadian teams were routinely close to winning. But it never actually happened and now they are getting a little angsty.

This sort of situation really showcases the absurdity of taking local pride in the acheivements of paid mercenaries.

I don't watch pro hockey but these are franchises made up of people from around the world. Nothing to do with Canadians sucking at hockey they are still the best.

I heard it sort of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because players don't want to play for desperate Canadian fans and prefer playing for a US franchise with no expectations. So its getting worse. I remember when I was younger Canadian teams were routinely close to winning. But it never actually happened and now they are getting a little angsty.
Well there's also the McSorley Curse.

Probably last year. Top 10 skaters on the Knights and top 2 goalies:

jack eichel (USA)
chandler stephenson (Canada)
jonathan marchessault (technically Canada)
reilly smith (Canada)
alex pietrangelo (Canada)
william karlsson (Sweden)
shea theodore (Canada)
mark stone (Canada)
phil kessel (USA)
nicolas roy (technically Canada)

logan thompson (Canada)
adin hill (Canada)
That's what I figured. So this whole last "Canadian" team is really about headquartering. Since I'm willing to bet almost all NHL championship teams are mostly Canadian, or more Canadian than anything else, or at least as much.

That's what I figured. So this whole last "Canadian" team is really about headquartering. Since I'm willing to bet almost all NHL championship teams are mostly Canadian, or more Canadian than anything else, or at least as much.

It's a sense of belonging and what one grew up with. I'd assume it would be the same for a NBA team. But it's even worse for Canadians for exactly the reason you've said. A majority grow up to play the sport and support a team. None have been able to celebrate "their" team winning.

Montreal Canadiens was the last Canadian team to win a Stanley Cup.

You think this is the year they hoist the cup up north of the border?

There are four Canadian teams mostly in the west.

Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Toronto Maple Leafs

IMO, unlikely again this year. Each team just has holes. Winnipeg probably has the best chance because while not a Cup winner, their goalie is probably the most reliable of the bunch. Not sure if McDavid can drag them out if the oilers goaltending doesn't show up like the last couple of years.

Also if you look further into this the Maples Leafs are considerably more angsty about this then the other ones.

Big kick in the balls has to be the Nordiques leaving Canada, becoming the Avs and becoming one of the dominant franchises in the mid 90s-2000s.

Back