Izzy or Anderson

Anderson has the most spectacular run as a champion in MMA history and probably won't be surpassed but when all is said and done I think Izzy will have a better resumé and is objectively a better fighter.

Comparing accolades is ridiculous, because Anderson fought at an infantile MW division. He got a title shot of a one win over Chris Leben, lol.

Izzy beat Anderson, Vettori, Gastelum, Brunson, Tavares and Wilkinson on his way to the title. Most of these guys are better than the guys Anderson defended his title against.

Anderson was great, but Izzy is overall the better fighter.

Comparing accolades is ridiculous, because Anderson fought at an infantile MW division. He got a title shot of a one win over Chris Leben, lol.

Izzy beat Anderson, Vettori, Gastelum, Brunson, Tavares and Wilkinson on his way to the title. Most of these guys are better than the guys Anderson defended his title against.

There we have it folks.

Wilkinson is better than Dan Henderson.

You just discovered MMA recently haven't you? You think Anderson solely got his title shot off beating Chris Leben? You're talking 2006, the landscape across MMA when it came to the best fighters were scattered across different orgs, Strikeforce, PrideFC, Affliction, WEC, Shooto, Cage Rage, the list goes on. Anderson Silva got the title shot by putting in work internationally, beating the likes of Horn, Murray, Rivera, Fryklund. Yes, Anderson had losses, but it comes with MMA. Everyone has losses or will eventually have losses.

Once the UFC merged the other orgs, Anderson was the one who came out on top, it wasn't until his leg break his armor was broken.

It's Anderson and it probably will be for a little bit longer.

For sherdog its Anderson easily. We need to keep this simple, very simple, so only number of wins counts.

For the rest of the world - as many analysts, fighters, and fans are already working out - Its Izzy
Better competition - Are any of Andersons opponents as good as Whitakker, let alone Poatan

And then Andersons style which he gets a lot of praise for, once again you need to keep it simple for the shertards, you only count when his hands down chin out style baited those highlight reel moments, DON'T COUNT when it back fired and led to a 6/7 loss streak

Compare to Izzy who usually doesn't take much damage at all, which leads to a much more active schedule and he probably won't end his career on a massive loss streak.

Oh and Anderson pissed hot a bunch of times.

So yeah for sherdog = Anderson
anyone else = Izzy.

Silva's timing, speed, reflexes, and creativity were on another level. He was doing matrix shit in there, shit that fans hadn't seen before or even thought of. He fought wrestlers and grapplers and submitted them and even had time for side quests at 205 when the UFC asked him to. (Remember, each fight at 205 was at the request of the UFC.)

For sherdog its Anderson easily. We need to keep this simple, very simple, so only number of wins counts.

For the rest of the world - as many analysts, fighters, and fans are already working out - Its Izzy
Better competition - Are any of Andersons opponents as good as Whitakker, let alone Poatan

And then Andersons style which he gets a lot of praise for, once again you need to keep it simple for the shertards, you only count when his hands down chin out style baited those highlight reel moments, DON'T COUNT when it back fired and led to a 6/7 loss streak

Compare to Izzy who usually doesn't take much damage at all, which leads to a much more active schedule and he probably won't end his career on a massive loss streak.

Oh and Anderson pissed hot a bunch of times.

So yeah for sherdog = Anderson
anyone else = Izzy.

I posted that without even reading the replies in the thread.

Now reading the thread, every 2nd reply is the cope of count when it worked, ignore when it didn't.
Izzy yeah 100% acknowledge his style leads to boring fights

How are these shertards so predicatble?

Anderson for the shertards, Izzy for the rest of the world.

You just discovered MMA recently haven't you? You think Anderson solely got his title shot off beating Chris Leben? You're talking 2006, the landscape across MMA when it came to the best fighters were scattered across different orgs, Strikeforce, PrideFC, Affliction, WEC, Shooto, Cage Rage, the list goes on. Anderson Silva got the title shot by putting in work internationally, beating the likes of Horn, Murray, Rivera, Fryklund. Yes, Anderson had losses, but it comes with MMA. Everyone has losses or will eventually have losses.

Once the UFC merged the other orgs, Anderson was the one who came out on top, it wasn't until his leg break his armor was broken.

It's Anderson and it probably will be for a little bit longer.

No it started long before the leg break.

He was doing his hands down chin out stuff forever, due to the shallow division he could get away with it. Zero even remotely technical strikers could take advantage of it.
Guys like Vitor, Hendo = athletic power houses with good chins etc, but not technical

As soon as he fought someone half technical (weidman) well... game over

Different eras of course and you can't fault Anderson that he hasn't fought the same level of competition Izzy has, but don't fool yourself, prime Anderson would be flat on his back vs a lot of todays 185'ers.

So far its clearly AS who is ahead on the list and Izzy will need some more wins (also in LHW) if he wants to overtake Andersons position.

No hate and no romo

Agreed. His aura and dominance was matched by very few, one being Jon Jones

Fedor is another one that had that aura. A certain kind of mystique about him. I think partly because of his dominance but also because he never said shit, he just went out and smashed guys.

Anderson is way better. If that fight happened in Andersons prime, easy win for the spider. Also he had fantastic bjj.

i never said anyone was clean but AS has actually failed a test
He's failed 2 tests, pissed hot against Nick Diaz and Gastelum.

Now for the thread question, difficult one... I really dislike Izzy and I was pissed when he managed to beat Pereira after losing 3 times to the Brazilian... I've never rooted for the guy IIRC.

But Adesanya never pissed hot, nevermind twice, and that's an important distinction. Plus, the 2 actually fought, and despite Israel clearly taking it easy on Silva, he still walked away with a comfy decision.
Tis a shame that the fight was only 3 rounds long despite being the main event, but since they prepared for a 3 rounder I guess it makes sense... I would have just liked to see a more definitive victory/stoppage, and had Silva made weight, IIRC the fight would have been for the interim MW title.

It was still a fun fight, plenty of great moments; it seems to have lost its popularity with time though...
Anderson making sure the cage is OK after kneeing it was wholesome
AcrobaticDependableLeonberger-size_restricted.gif

Izzy trying to imitate Chris Weidman was cool, but he lacked the powa
DrearyBlueChafer-small.gif

Anderson had a great UFC run after struggling in PRIDE, but Israel's UFC competition was a liiiittle bit better IMHO
Just a little bit.

LOL.... 0/10 Thread...
wp2080116.jpg

Dind_teU8AAMA4p.jpg

Never question the GOAT Anderson.

Lemme try lemme try!...

vs

Anyway, Anderson is more of my generation than Izzy, which makes me feel old as shit since Adesanya had been fighting in the UFC for 5 years now.
So I'm going with The Spider for this one

Last edited:
For me, Anderson will always be the greatest MW ever, and one of the top 5 fighters ever. In his prime, there wasn't a more entertaining fighter to watch in the sport....most of the time.

nobody even mentions andersons wins against sakurai and carlos newton. if you watched back then you remember sakurai as being undefeated and one of the top p4p fighters when he fought silva. carlos newton was also ranked near the top of his division. the list goes on for why silva is the better fighter and plenty of people have mentioned these reasons already in this thread so i wont rehash them. Silva all day for me. not even comparable.

I've been in a war with my buddy since Izzy beat Anderson about who the greatest 185er is, the discussion is kind of dead locked where every time I point out how much better Anderson was than his contemporaries it doesn't matter because Izzy won 2 rounds of a decision when he was 40. Am I a jackass holding on to the past or is my buddy a newfan that didn't feel what this vid made us feel?

Anderson without a doubt lol

.recency bias be a motherfucker ..

. Y'ALL MUSTA FORGOT .. .

Back