Jabs with RVR

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
just watched this and thought it was really good and worth a share.

The “boxers jab” was garbage. You can tell he wasn’t used to doing it, and was exaggerating it to prove a point.
The second jab he did is what I would call a step jab. Maybe not perfectly text book, but still pretty fucking good. Same with the “uppercut jab”, he’s stepping with it, but still nice.
The thumb down jab i’ve Never seen before. Seems a little unnessisary , where you could just lift your shoulder, but who am I to say.
He says about using these to measure distance, these to me seam more like power jabs than measuring distance. To me a jab that measures distance has light to moderate power, and more often that not doesn’t involve stepping

One thing doesn't make sense here. He says that the stance for jabbing is raised for KB due to presence of low kicks, but then he lowers it even more for MMA to anticipate takedowns. But that surely can't be optimal for low kicks. So couldn't a fighter with a Muay Thai base take advantage of the MMA stance and low kick him to oblivion?

One thing doesn't make sense here. He says that the stance for jabbing is raised for KB due to presence of low kicks, but then he lowers it even more for MMA to anticipate takedowns. But that surely can't be optimal for low kicks. So couldn't a fighter with a Muay Thai base take advantage of the MMA stance and low kick him to oblivion?
If you’re in a hunched over stance like that it’s easier to catch low kicks but more difficult to check them. It’s also easier to get head kicked however, it’s also more difficult to throw your own kicks, etc etc.
I wouldn’t read too much into the different stance thing, it’s more of an exaggeration to try an prove a point.

One thing I noticed in the video is that the guy punching is flaring his elbows on his jabs, a lot. And given that that's like. Day one shit when it comes to jabs and what not to do, I'm going to have to say that I question this instruction.

*EDIT* whenever they show the fighter hitting the bag, he's in southpaw stance - this might explain why the jabs are kind of loopy since they're getting him to throw them in a stance that isn't his natural one. Still seems like a poor choice for an instructional video.

looking forward to his fight with Petch coming up, it's going to be great

just watched this and thought it was really good and worth a share.

Really like their coaching clips a lot! thx

One thing I noticed in the video is that the guy punching is flaring his elbows on his jabs, a lot. And given that that's like. Day one shit when it comes to jabs and what not to do, I'm going to have to say that I question this instruction.

*EDIT* whenever they show the fighter hitting the bag, he's in southpaw stance - this might explain why the jabs are kind of loopy since they're getting him to throw them in a stance that isn't his natural one. Still seems like a poor choice for an instructional video.

Thats Robin van Roosmalen I would say an extremely skilled technical fighter. Sure his fight style is not that dependant on the jab because he mostly fights at a reach disadvantage but still should be quite sound in execution. Maybe just his style.

Back