Media Jack Della Maddalena has successful surgery, targets Shavkat fight for UFC 305 in August

That's a reeally quick turnaround for a broken arm. He would essentially need to start a camp in just over 2 months from now.

He should learn from Hooker and not rush things, the setback could make his time out twice as long.

Last edited:
Shavkat should turn this down imo. Epic fight it would be, but if edwards defends in June, then Shavkat/JDM in August, the challenger will be pressured to fight edwards on short notice.

These 2 can fight for gold next year

Shavkat should turn this down imo. Epic fight it would be, but if edwards defends in June, then Shavkat/JDM in August, the challenger will be pressured to fight edwards on short notice.

These 2 can fight for gold next year

Why would they be pressured to fight Edwards on short notice? He's probably only going to fight twice a year. Very unlikely you're going to see Edwards ever turn around very quickly.

Edwards (assuming he gets past Belal) vs the Shavkat/JDM winner in December or early 2025 makes sense.

Why would they be pressured to fight Edwards on short notice? He's probably only going to fight twice a year. Very unlikely you're going to see Edwards ever turn around very quickly.

Edwards (assuming he gets past Belal) vs the Shavkat/JDM winner in December or early 2025 makes sense.
December is only 4 months for the challenger, while the champ would have 6.

It’s not for sure going to be an issue, but it is a concern of mine. If they all fight actively then I’m down and no complaints.

I say split the difference, Shavkat vs Colby and Jack Della vs Ian Garry or Sean Brady. If Usman comes back down, throw him in the mix somewhere but I find it more likely he takes another 185 fight.

Calling out Shavkat... I love JDM. It will be fantastic fight but balls on this guy...

c94e17ec2db09710gen.jpg

JDM is in a spot where he no longer has anywhere easy to go. If he wants a title shot beating Shavkat is the fastest and most difficult way there, but he will get it with the win and lose nothing if he loses. It's a ballsy and tough call out.

Looking at his history he's had a close fight over Bassil Hafez, a split over Kevin Holland, and a gift from Burns in a fight Burns was up 2-0, so he might as well make the most of where he is.

The other big positive is that no one expects him to beat Shavkat, who is likely the uncrowned champ at this point. A loss vs Shavkat does not push JDM back whatsoever. He can lose to him now, win a couple fights maybe, and then hopefully book a rematch. It's a win win fight for JDM.

JDM is in a spot where he no longer has anywhere easy to go. If he wants a title shot beating Shavkat is the fastest and most difficult way there, but he will get it with the win and lose nothing if he loses. It's a ballsy and tough call out.

Looking at his history he's had a close fight over Bassil Hafez, a split over Kevin Holland, and a gift from Burns in a fight Burns was up 2-0, so he might as well make the most of where he is.

The other big positive is that no one expects him to beat Shavkat, who is likely the uncrowned champ at this point. A loss vs Shavkat does not push JDM back whatsoever. He can lose to him now, win a couple fights maybe, and then hopefully book a rematch. It's a win win fight for JDM.

I agree Burns was up 2-0 but I'm not sure at all the judges would have agreed, the rounds weren't too decisive.

I don’t like the Shavkat - JDM matchup even though it makes sense. Can’t they just kill off Colby and Garry instead?

That's a reeally quick turnaround for a broken arm. He would essentially need to start a camp in just over 2 months from now.

He should learn from Hooker and not rush things, the setback could be make his time out twice as long.
He may feel that this is his only shot to get a title fight.

Respect to JDM but fighting Shavkat is going to be problematic on your best day. Rushing into a fight coming off a broken arm and not giving yourself proper time to heal and recover? Not a good idea at all.

Shavkat by KO imo

I've had a couple of breaks that needed surgery, and both times it took me around 8-9 weeks of healing and rehab to get back into training. Jack aiming for a mid-August comeback seems super quick to me, not really sure if that's doable.

I agree Burns was up 2-0 but I'm not sure at all the judges would have agreed, the rounds weren't too decisive.

On two of the judges official scorecards he was up 2-0. He was winning 3 as well until his stupid panic takedown attempt.

So Shavkat has to wait until August because no one else is willing to fight him? Sorry Shavkat deserves a titleshot at this point, winning another fight doesn't prove anything we don't know.

So Shavkat has to wait until August because no one else is willing to fight him? Sorry Shavkat deserves a titleshot at this point, winning another fight doesn't prove anything we don't know.
You aren't wrong but the UFC seems to be hesitant on making Leon-Belal. So now the other contenders have to fight each other because the UFC is scared to pull the trigger. Sure, the fight isn't exactly the most marketable but they're both clearly at the top. We made it through the Woodley era, we can sit through Leon vs Belal IMO.

He should learn from Hooker and not rush things, the setback could make his time out twice as long.
Depending how clean the break was might not need a ton of time to mend it where it sounds like they screwed everything tightly in place. Average recovery time is like 6-8 weeks on a pretty routine break isn't it?

Back