Jacobs: I’m the most avoided fighter in the division

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Daniel Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) hasn’t had much luck landing a significant fight since he put up a much tougher-than-expected fight with middleweight menace Gennady Golovkin in March. And he tells RingTV that ever since then he’s been on the outside looking in.

At the top of the division Golovkin is set to take on Canelo Alvarez next month, so they’re not in the immediate picture, but there are also other legitimate opponents out there such as Billy Joe Saunders and David Lemieux.

Saunders has a fight lined up with WIllie Monroe Jr. next month too, but according to Jacobs’ manager Keith Connolly they made a good offer to Saunders before that fight was signed and it was flatly rejected. Connolly also said a potential fight against Lemieux, who is considered to be a possible December opponent for Miguel Cotto, was also flatly denied.

Jermall Charlo has just recently entered the 160lb division, and while that is a potentially good fight to be made, it’s not expected to be in the cards until next year (although with such the easy time Charlo had with a hobbled Jorge Heiland, you would think he’d be ready to go right now).

All that leads the 30-year-old Jacobs into believing he’s now the most avoided fighter at 160lbs.

“I absolutely feel like I’m being avoided,” Jacobs told RingTV.com. “After my last performance, the other top middleweights now know what I bring to the table and the fact that I’m verbally calling out these top guys and nobody seems interested shows that I’m the most avoided guy in the division because a lot of people think I beat GGG.”

In the meanwhile Jacobs isn’t overly concerned about his current position and plans on keeping busy and letting the demand for big fights with him speak for itself.

“I’m willing to be patient while GGG and Canelo settle their business,” he said, “and I’ll keep winning and they’ll be forced to fight me because of public demand.”

Who have you plagiarised this time?

Billy doesn't want to fight anyone with a pulse and of course David wants to see if that Cotto meal ticket happens instead of a much tougher fight with Jacobs for what I imagine would be a fraction of the money.

Sucks that he has to learn just like GGG did that being a great fighter doesn't mean you get great fights. Popularity is everything and having belts really does matter when no one wants to fight you. Hopefully if Jacobs crushes a few cans(at least above the Sergio Mora level)the fans will start pushing for better fights.

Billy doesn't want to fight anyone with a pulse and of course David wants to see if that Cotto meal ticket happens instead of a much tougher fight with Jacobs for what I imagine would be a fraction of the money.

Sucks that he has to learn just like GGG did that being a great fighter doesn't mean you get great fights. Popularity is everything and having belts really does matter when no one wants to fight you. Hopefully if Jacobs crushes a few cans(at least above the Sergio Mora level)the fans will start pushing for better fights.
I'm pretty sure the mora fight was due to circumstance. The decent fighters were all tied up in negotiation shenanigans or fighting each other.

Maybe he shouldn't skip weigh ins and show up one weight class larger than everyone else.

Also the OP is stealing content again.

Lemi should fight Danny.

But he doesnt want to get knocked out. Cant blame him I suppose lol.

Maybe he shouldn't skip weigh ins and show up one weight class larger than everyone else.

He made weight doe.

Stealing content is right on par with miscontruing it.

Feel for the guy but he's just lost a title fight. What fighters expect to be given another shot immediately after a loss?? It doesn't normally happen.

Feel for the guy but he's just lost a title fight. What fighters expect to be given another shot immediately after a loss?? It doesn't normally happen.
He deserved a rematch, that result was highly debatable.

I agree mostly, so long as we get a rematch at some point.

I don't know man, I think this is a classic case of expectations influencing ones perception.
I made it clear I thought Danny would win, when I Scored on fight night I had it 114-113 jacobs, when I rewatched I had it 114-113 golovkin. I say debatable because it was so close. Sure I lost my bet on the fight but if you're meaning because I get on with rr, sure I do. I doubt he loses sleep over my second scoring of the fight. If golovkin is meant to be a wrecking machine the rematch would be nice, but we know golovkin will make a lot of money against canelo and he isn't getting younger. That should be a great fight as well.

I made it clear I thought Danny would win, when I Scored on fight night I had it 114-113 jacobs, when I rewatched I had it 114-113 golovkin. I say debatable because it was so close. Sure I lost my bet on the fight but if you're meaning because I get on with rr, sure I do. I doubt he loses sleep over my second scoring of the fight. If golovkin is meant to be a wrecking machine the rematch would be nice, but we know golovkin will make a lot of money against canelo and he isn't getting younger. That should be a great fight as well.

I don't care if people scored it for GGG close. I will be the first to tell you it was a close fight. Same as Danny I said a long time ago I get not having the immediate rematch because of the Canelo payday. I've always maintained exactly what Danny said. We just want the winner, will fight Charlo next year, BJS is a huge pussy and on DL meh. only talked to him once so I won't pass judgement.

His job is to make weight. He did that. Like always, you look like a clown.

GGG is going to have to beat Canelo twice (assuming he even wins he first time), so that will tie him up for a while. Plus even if he wins, he has mandatory and they may not be Jacobs. Lastly, given Golovkin's often stated desire to become unified and get the WBO belt, it'll be a tough sell.

Would I like the Jacobs rematch? You bet. The first one was awesome, FOTY candidate (but it probably won'the win since Wlad's swansong).

Having 2 GGG/Canelo fights, and 2 GGG/Jacobs fights alone would make my year for watching boxing.

Many are tipping Canelo based on the Jacobs fight but how do we know that Danny wouldn't beat the piss out of the Mexican? I tend to think he might.

GGG is going to have to beat Canelo twice (assuming he even wins he first time), so that will tie him up for a while. Plus even if he wins, he has mandatory and they may not be Jacobs. Lastly, given Golovkin's often stated desire to become unified and get the WBO belt, it'll be a tough sell.

Would I like the Jacobs rematch? You bet. The first one was awesome, FOTY candidate (but it probably won'the win since Wlad's swansong).
If Canelo wins that frees up Danny to fight either GGG or Canelo ( I wouldn't take that fight )

What Jacobs offers is the guy thay nearly beat GGG. That's scary enough in itself for people not to want to fight him - especially if they'd make more money losing to GGG and or Canelo.

I'm pretty sure the mora fight was due to circumstance. The decent fighters were all tied up in negotiation shenanigans or fighting each other.

Yeah that's all understandable but he fought him twice. Again I'm not saying he shouldn't have at all. I'm saying he shouldn't scrap the bottom of the can like that again. He needs well known guys even if they have no hope of beating him. Some veteran names would be just fine until he gets a belt back and forces someone to fight him again.

He's in a position similar to where GGG was when he couldn't find opponents except he offers less money and less exposure. In a weight class without a ton of big names that is a pretty tough situation.

What the fuck happened to the Chavez fight anyway? I thought that was a done deal? And it's a perfect example of what I said about fighting a big name that can't beat him. Would be great at this point.

Back