Media Jan Blachowicz gets second surgery on his shoulder

svmr_db

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ex-UFC champ Jan Blachowicz announces second shoulder surgery, starts road to comeback

Jan Blachowicz knew it was coming several months ago, and now he can start to think about light at the end of the tunnel.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion said in late 2023 that he needed surgery on both shoulders. Blachowicz (29-10-1 MMA, 12-7-1 UFC) was scheduled to fight Alexander Rakic at UFC 297 in January, but announced the twin surgeries and pulled out of the fight.

Saturday, the Polish light heavyweight posted on social media that he was about to undergo the second procedure.

Blachowicz, who turned 41 in February, won the then-vacant light heavyweight title in September 2020 a few months after it was vacated by Jon Jones. He defended the title against then-middleweight champ Israel Adesanya, but lost it to Glover Teixeira in October 2021.

The road back to title contention started with a May 2022 win over Aleksandar Rakic, but a split draw with Magomed Ankalaev in another vacant title fight in December 2022 kept him stagnant in the pecking order. This past July, he lost a split decision to Alex Pereira in the former middleweight champ’s 205-pound debut. Pereira went on to a vacant title fight and took the belt against Jiri Prochazka this past November.

Blachowicz did not give a new timeline for his return.

One of my favourites.

At that age another surgery. It might be time to consider stepping away. But I guess there’s no harm in trying to come back. But the fights won’t get any easier. And time marches on.

Best wishes, get well soon.

One of my favourites.

At that age another surgery. It might be time to consider stepping away. But I guess there’s no harm in trying to come back. But the fights won’t get any easier. And time marches on.

Best wishes, get well soon.
I don't see him getting the belt again but I'm sure if he comes back there's a few more fights left for him.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Jan come back and style on somebody with his striking since it’s LHW and his style is extremely technical and not very reliant on athleticism but even without the surgery he’s getting pretty old.

UFC seems pretty adamant he fight Rakic until Rakic wins but I think a fight with somebody like Johnny Walker, Meinfield or Volkan would be a fair litmus test…. Or just put together Jiri vs Jan since it would be amazing.

Jan vs Jiri is the fight we need to see before either of them gets too old/injured. Really it should've happened years ago already. Just the name "Jan vs Jiri" sounds like the name of a classic all-time banger people reference as one of the greatest wars to ever happen

Jan needs to step away. He's probably going to get one of those terrible records at the end of his career. Atleast he could probably get an Izzy rematch whenever he's ready to cashout.

2nd surgery on his shoulder?? Man, I don't know how much longer he'll be near the top if he does come back.

Still has his chin atleast. Very technical which goes far in a shit division like 205

I got shoulder surgery a year ago and I’m still not fully 100% so I don’t know how good are his surgeons or how bad is the injury but recovery is a long process. Hope he comes back but I have my doubts as the man is 41 already.

I got shoulder surgery a year ago and I’m still not fully 100% so I don’t know how good are his surgeons or how bad is the injury but recovery is a long process. Hope he comes back but I have my doubts as the man is 41 already.
41? 🤯 I'd say Jan is a rare fighter who peaked late, but even that was probably around 38.

He did look good against Ankalaev though. And got kind of screwed by the altitude against Pereira.

War Jan!

Jan is such an inspiration. Humble guy with a late blooming career where he managed to become champ.

Q: Did you hear the one about the 41 year old who had multiple shoulder surgeries and came back better than ever and became champ again?

A: No. No you did not.

Back