• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Japan's last imperial soldier dies

Fuck that and fuck him. He probably enslave, torture, raped, and killed a good numbers of people under his control. Giving him credit is like giving credit to a SS solider that just passed away. May he burn in hell

Thread off to a good start... ^

On topic: Read about this in the news earlier today. Then I read some more in-depth about Onoda and a couple of other japanese soldiers that kept fighting into the 1970's. I just can't bring myself to believe that they actually thought the war wasn't over, and any indications to the contrary was just enemy propaganda. They had to have known. Even the notion that they stayed as isolated from the rest of the world as the stories claim seem a bit far-fetched.

Last edited:
fuck him. shoulda stayed in the jungle and had feral pigs eat him

I know, ignorance. ^^

I don't think it's ignorance, I agree with his point of view. He was also stealing locals food and killing their cattle so he wasn't exactly some standup guy that we should be praising. The man had some amazing survival skills though and was one tough sob, no doubt.

he was a tough bastard, but i can't help but think he was a total jackass. RIP

one less war criminal the earth has to support. now they should finish up hunting down all the racist german SS.

I don't think it's ignorance, I agree with his point of view. He was also stealing locals food and killing their cattle so he wasn't exactly some standup guy that we should be praising. The man had some amazing survival skills though and was one tough sob, no doubt.

Agreed.

Japanese soldiers committed crimes against humanity during the second world war. Nothing to be celebrated IMO.

Would love to hear Louis Zamperini's opinion on this.

Bill-Hader-Popcorn-reaction-Gif-On-The-Daily-Show.gif

Pisses me off when we're told to pretend that everyone was as bad as everyone else during WWII. Just because recent wars have become more ambiguous. Acknowledging history doesn't lead to racism in the here and now, at least it shouldn't.

Mm exactly what did this guy do? Sounds like he was responsible for Nanking by the look of this thread.

Back